Newcastle United V Reading

Christmas Tree

Talk in the Journal is that Cisse and Remy will play as a front two on Saturday should the medical go ok today.

Not sure if that means we are heading back to 442 or a more attacking 4312 which would be my preferred option.

Krul

Debuchy Williamson Coloccini Santon

Cabaye Anita

Marveaux

Remy Cisse

I would be wanting Debuchy and Santon getting down the wings as well as lots of passing through the middle between Cabaye, Marveaux and Anita. I simply think we would have too much quality there for Reading and should run them ragged.

Understandably though, Pardew will be very nervous about this game and may once again go for safety first, whilst hoping to nick a goal. That would probably see him playing a 442 with Jonas easing out Marveaux and instructions to Santon and Debuchy to play a more cautious attacking role.

Of course the big decision is convincing Coloccini to keep playing.

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we went 4312 we'd really struggle down the left as to go for a formation with such a narrow midfield you need natural width provided by both full-backs.

One of the biggest games for the club in a while, an absolute must win. Don't care how we do it.

If we get him in, then Remy up top with Cissé at home is probably the easiest way to give his debut.. How do Reading normally set themselves up away from home?

We mostly lose anyway at the moment so you can't blame CT for that one!

I think it's unlikely that Jonas won't play (I thought he had a canny first half at least on Saturday) and if we were to go for a narrow formation with width coming from the fullbacks, I think he'd be very important for covering Santon.

Although I think we may well go 4-4-2 for this one. Until HBA is back I don't think we have the players to go for the 4-3-3 that I suspect Remy is being brought in for.

We mostly lose anyway at the moment so you can't blame CT for that one!

I think it's unlikely that Jonas won't play (I thought he had a canny first half at least on Saturday) and if we were to go for a narrow formation with width coming from the fullbacks, I think he'd be very important for covering Santon.

Although I think we may well go 4-4-2 for this one. Until HBA is back I don't think we have the players to go for the 4-3-3 that I suspect Remy is being brought in for.

you could play marveaux and remy either side of cisse with a midfield three of perch, anita and jonas, with perch just sitting in front of the back four.

you could play marveaux and remy either side of cisse with a midfield three of perch, anita and jonas, with perch just sitting in front of the back four.

I'm not convinced Marveaux really fits into that role. He doesn't play as far forward as Ben Arfa and I'm also not that convinced about him wide (I know he's supposedly played there a lot in france but he doesn't get in the game enough there for me). I think he plays a lot better in the middle in front of two players who will do the graft for him.

If we went 4312 we'd really struggle down the left as to go for a formation with such a narrow midfield you need natural width provided by both full-backs.

He bleats on about Ferguson getting down the wing providing crosses and ''lack of creativity from the left'' & then wants us to play without wingers. Fucking hell.

One of the biggest games for the club in a while, an absolute must win. Don't care how we do it.

If we get him in, then Remy up top with Cissé at home is probably the easiest way to give his debut.. How do Reading normally set themselves up away from home?

This. Couldnt give a rats arse about the formation as long as we win it.

Put a new CB in that team instead of Willo and with HBA back in for Marvo, looks a pretty promising side. Mind we just have to get some sort of momentum going. Massive massive game and everyone is going be as nervous as hell. Not going to be easy.

Agreed.

To be honest I'd hope the added boost of Remy & Debuchy would give the fans a lift & hopefully Reading can lose their bottle. I really haven't seen much of Reading this season that has impressed me overall - but we learned that they could hurt us at the away fixture where a Ba handball spared our blushes.

I wouldn't play two up front but I'd get Remy on the hunt in the box when we get set pieces - even to act as a distraction from Cisse - or vice versa it'll be beneficial - especially if they aren't making the same runs (& sometimes jumps!) like Ba/Cisse did.

I'd probably go 433/4231 with Remy on the wing & I think that's how Pardew will start - if we are struggling for a breakthrough he'll revert to 442 & long ball.

4-5-1 with Pogrebnyak up front on his own. Le Fondre comes on in the second half and it's 4-4-2 if the team are trailing.

Given his previous performances, McCleary will feature. He's the player who creates chances. Pacey and puts dangerous balls in. If Reading go down I'd like to see him given a chance at a club like NUFC as I can't remember the last time I saw a winger like him.

Reading have scored the most goals in the final 15 minutes in the league I think, so it'll be nervy if there's only a goal in it. Honestly can't see NUFC not getting a win though. Reading are shambolic at the back (even with Stephen Kelly coming in) and McDermott insists on starting McAnuff and Kebe, who are both utter shite. It's only when McCleary comes on when Reading are actually decent going forward.

Talk in the Journal is that Cisse and Remy will play as a front two on Saturday should the medical go ok today.

Not sure if that means we are heading back to 442 or a more attacking 4312 which would be my preferred option.

Krul

Debuchy Williamson Coloccini Santon

Cabaye Anita

Marveaux

Remy Cisse

I would be wanting Debuchy and Santon getting down the wings as well as lots of passing through the middle between Cabaye, Marveaux and Anita. I simply think we would have too much quality there for Reading and should run them ragged.

Understandably though, Pardew will be very nervous about this game and may once again go for safety first, whilst hoping to nick a goal. That would probably see him playing a 442 with Jonas easing out Marveaux and instructions to Santon and Debuchy to play a more cautious attacking role.

Of course the big decision is convincing Coloccini to keep playing.

who's been sent off?

First we need to sack Pardew, then drop Debuchy as he's shit (like Jonas) & play Ferguson to get more crosses in to the box for a game I won't be attending as I've got to take the dog for a walk, but don't worry I'll know all about it because I'll watch football first & tell everyone what actually happens.

Mike Ashley's Black & White Army

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt to be honest.

However I wouldn't be playing a short passing/possession game in that formation - especially with 2 up front - it looks like a long ball formation to be. The rule of thumb for possession play is to make the pitch as big as possible in possession & as small as possible when you don't have possession - I don't see how you can do this without wingers or a wide midfield - pretty much 433 or variants of it is the best formation for that.

Again if your fullbacks are playing tame & remaining deep there's not a lot you're going to be able to do as it's fairly easy to trap a team who are going to be stuck central with no natural wide players - wherever they are posted and if they come up you'll be fairly knacked on the counter attack.

Best to stick with what works rather than playing crazy experimental formations. ;)

Seems strange seeing a lot of teams playing without 2 strikers these days btw.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt to be honest.

However I wouldn't be playing a short passing/possession game in that formation - especially with 2 up front - it looks like a long ball formation to be. The rule of thumb for possession play is to make the pitch as big as possible in possession & as small as possible when you don't have possession - I don't see how you can do this without wingers or a wide midfield - pretty much 433 or variants of it is the best formation for that.

Again if your fullbacks are playing tame & remaining deep there's not a lot you're going to be able to do as it's fairly easy to trap a team who are going to be stuck central with no natural wide players - wherever they are posted and if they come up you'll be fairly knacked on the counter attack.

Best to stick with what works rather than playing crazy experimental formations. ;)

Seems strange seeing a lot of teams playing without 2 strikers these days btw.

You are joking surely?

I meant with formations, obviously. I.e don't play a 21421 when a 442 might be best. Given the tactics you briefly described a hungover Sunday league manager could work us out.

You're not really having a tactical discussion though - you're just picking holes.

I meant with formations, obviously. I.e don't play a 21421 when a 442 might be best. Given the tactics you briefly described a hungover Sunday league manager could work us out.

You're not really having a tactical discussion though - you're just picking holes.

You are the one picking holes Thomas, as usual I might add ;)

We've easily got enough to beat these with what we have if the right tactics are used.

Pardew has already said that he instructed Debuchy to restrain his attacking instincts against Norwich and that he would lift this restriction for reading.