Siem De Jong

Barney

We already have 3 new signings through the door and to be fair they are decent signings too. I reckon we will have at least another 3 in before the real pre-season kicks in.

It's a shame Debuchy will be gone but we will sort that area out, plus add a decent striker to the ranks, with also a resurgence of form from Cisse to come, hopefully.

It's been slow and irritating but I'm glad we don't pay stupid money out for players like Shaw who's only 18 and went for 30 million and Lallana for 25 million.

It looks like we are unambitious but I'd prefer to see players who want to play for the club not players who just see pound signs and sign for that reason.

We all want to see success but we will never see it by offering stupid wages and transfer fees to the best players, because the bright lights of London and the favourable top clubs are mostly the aim of those type of players. So on that note, it's best that we nibble away and keep building up on players that are desperate to play for the club.

That's my take as I'm always of a positive mind where Newcastle is concerned.

This is modern football. Every single player plays for money above all else. There might be a 1% that harbour an attachment to their club but these things are easily severed.

When players say they want Champions League football - they mean champions league wages - do you think De Jong would have signed if he wasn't moving to bigger league to be paid a significantly more?

This is modern football. Every single player plays for money above all else. There might be a 1% that harbour an attachment to their club but these things are easily severed.

When players say they want Champions League football - they mean champions league wages - do you think De Jong would have signed if he wasn't moving to bigger league to be paid a significantly more?

Yeah of course. Obviously players will negotiate bigger pay days, or their agents, anyway. What I mean is, I'm glad we don't go and spend ridiculous amounts of big name players on mammoth wages who's goal is to use us as just that, like we've seen in the past.

I know people think we are going backwards with the way Ashley conducts business and he could have done a lot of things much better as we all know. The thing is, if we went gung-ho on buying top players on top wages, we would set (once again) a precedent by becoming an attractive club to the mercenary players who couldn't give a shit where we finished in the league.

Basically all the top clubs in the so called bigger and better cities get the cream of the crop and we, plus other clubs are left to pick the bones of the best of the rest, all ay inflated prices. The good thing about us is, we don't just steam in to buy a player by getting involved in auctions where the prices start to get silly. Ok it sometimes makes us look like a skin flint outfit at times, yet we still manage to get top quality players in most times for sensible fees.

I feel that there are better times ahead for us. I know many won't agree. It's just my positive thoughts on how I see the club slowly inching itself back up.

I can see us having a much better season this season after the turmoil we've had to endure.

Yeah of course. Obviously players will negotiate bigger pay days, or their agents, anyway. What I mean is, I'm glad we don't go and spend ridiculous amounts of big name players on mammoth wages who's goal is to use us as just that, like we've seen in the past.

I know people think we are going backwards with the way Ashley conducts business and he could have done a lot of things much better as we all know. The thing is, if we went gung-ho on buying top players on top wages, we would set (once again) a precedent by becoming an attractive club to the mercenary players who couldn't give a shit where we finished in the league.

Basically all the top clubs in the so called bigger and better cities get the cream of the crop and we, plus other clubs are left to pick the bones of the best of the rest, all ay inflated prices. The good thing about us is, we don't just steam in to buy a player by getting involved in auctions where the prices start to get silly. Ok it sometimes makes us look like a skin flint outfit at times, yet we still manage to get top quality players in most times for sensible fees.

I feel that there are better times ahead for us. I know many won't agree. It's just my positive thoughts on how I see the club slowly inching itself back up.

I can see us having a much better season this season after the turmoil we've had to endure.

How can we be certain that player agents even exist? I know it's accepted wisdom that they do, but I think we need to challenge that. Also, when a player kicks a football, is it the football that moves? I put it to you that the football is stationary, and the force of the kick moves the planet around that fixed stationary object.

Feel free to believe that it's the ball that moves by the way. That is your prerogative.

Siem de Jong – The captain abandons the ship for Newcastle
on 2 July, 2014 at 08:45

Frank de Boer has been lauded as the manager that led Ajax to four Eredivisie titles in a row for the first time ever. In his shadow has stood captain Siem de Jong has been essential to a side that, despite a constant change of personnel, has been able to dominate the Eredivisie for a longer period than ever in the history of the Amsterdam club. With de Jong bound for Newcastle, the last and most reliable of De Boer’s trusted lieutenants leaves for a new adventure. A deserved move and the versatile midfielder took a long way to become, eventually, a modern club legend.

SiemdeJong-281x300.jpg

Siem De Jong has often come up trumps for Ajax when they have needed it most. (Photo: Wikipedia)

The attacking midfielder, whose brother Luuk spent the second half of last season on loan at Newcastle, was 16 when he made the move to Ajax from De Graafschap before making his debut in the first team two years later. From that match against Kozakken Boys began a long journey from a promising youngster to a talisman of a history making Ajax team.

Slotting into a team which consisted of the likes of Luis Suarez, Klaas-Jan Huntelaar, Jaap Stam, Maarten Stekelenburg, Johnny Heitinga and Urby Emanuelson, De Jong scored on his Eredivisie debut, finding the net against Sparta just five minutes after his introduction to secure a point against the Rotterdam club. The son of two international volleyball players, he would go on to become an important part of the side. While he wasn’t the most productive in front of goal, his strike in a 2-2 draw with Feyenoord went a long way to winning the hearts of the Ajax faithful.

The following season was much less fruitful for de Jong, as new boss Marco van Basten overlooked him for the likes of Ismail Aissati and Jeffrey Sarpong. However, Martin Jol gave him back his place a year later, allowing his development to resume and his influence in the team to grow.

When Frank de Boer took over midway through 2010-11, De Jong kept his place, going on to score eight goals in 14 games, compared to the three he scored across the rest of the season. The last two goals, however, were the most crucial. Ajax had clawed their way back under De Boer to head into the final week of the season just one point behind leaders and reigning champions Twente – who they met in the Amsterdam Arena in the final game of the season. De Jong scored the crucial opener before netting the crucial 3-1 goal 12 minutes from time to secure his side’s first league title in seven years.

De Boer made the player a more important part of the team from then on, putting his intelligence, technical excellence and passing ability to good use as he tied the midfield together with the defensive Vurnon Anita and the creative wonderkid Christian Eriksen. His versatility became absolutely crucial at times, too, having been utilised up front for a large part of the next three years of further Amsterdam dominance in which they beat the likes of Manchester City, Barcelona and Manchester United in Europe and claimed a further three league titles. Following the sale of Jan Vertonghen to Tottenham Hotspur, De Jong took over as captain of the team and his influence became much greater and once again when Eriksen joined the defender in London.

Siem_de_jong_ajax-129x300.jpg

Siem De Jong may well link up with his brother Luuk at Newcastle. (Photo Credit: Wikipedia)

As Ajax grew stale, predictable and slow in the 2013-14 season after the young attacking midfielder’s departure, de Boer switched the team about once more to compensate for the void. With Lasse Schöne moving from the midfield to the right wing, Daley Blind from left-back to centre of midfield and de Jong becoming the dedicated centre-forward, Ajax regained their positivity and fluidity and went on to win that fourth consecutive league title – a record run for the club.

Now though, as he departs, it feels like an era is coming to an end. De Jong is the only player left who has been an integral part of each of Ajax’s run of four consecutive league titles. Daley Blind, Nicolai Boilesen and Kenneth Vermeer all remain as well, but have all spent time out of form and out of the team. However, he departs as a player who has won the hearts of the Ajax fans and has written himself into the history of the club.

At 25, a move to the Premier League seems timely for Siem de Jong. While the creative burden at Ajax has always been with others, there are few players that can capitalize on that as well as de Jong can. Most comfortable next to a creative midfielder, Siem de Jong has shown he is an incredibly composed finisher, a physical presence and a very intelligent user of spaces opening up, something that would serve him well in the English top tier of football. While Siem de Jong isn’t as technically proficient as one might expect from a player groomed in the Ajax Academy, he still has a decent enough technique to cope with the rigours of football at the top level, but it might take him some time to hit the ground running.

Siem de Jong has shown both his maturity and adaptability through the years, something that should help him overcome his problems moving to a new club and a new competition. At Ajax, he had his best years playing alongside Christian Eriksen. If Newcastle can find him a partner in midfield of a similar calibre, Siem de Jong might well be one of the signings of the season.

No idea why it didn't Quote the 1st time.

1 goal every 2.5 games

1 assist every 3 games

All this playing for the champions of the Eredivisie. Not saying that he's to repeat those stats for NUFC, but I don't think we've found either the striker, nor the creative spark in midfield we desperately need.

All the noise seems to be that he'd be played in a support striker role, which seems to be the position he was playing for Ajax.

It also seems like we're still pursuing Lasogga, Lacazette and maybe Ings, which could indicate we've not bought De Jong to fill the Lead Goal-Scorer role.

Ideally (and most unlikely) I'd hope to see a lead striker, a centre half, an out and out attacking midfielder ( because I think HBA won't get a sniff while AP is here) and an immediate replacement for Debuchy if he were to leave.

You'd like to think that wasn't it on the incoming front. If we are to get another one or two I'd like to think we'd get them in sooner rather than later get them training together.

Think we need wingers personally, seeing as ALL of ours are grossly out of favour

I think we should focus on balls through the middle. Wingers aren't as effective any more

“Once Jan Vertonghen left Amsterdam to sign for Tottenham Hotspur, Ajax boss Frank de Boer handed De Jong the captain’s armband and his leadership skills shone through."

“He is very vocal on the pitch, directing and encouraging his team-mates as they reflect his tremendous work rate.”

"He is at home in the attacking midfielder role, but can also fit in as a striker with great composure in the

"In either role, De Jong can make defenders’ lives difficult with his positioning and awareness, finding space with ease, making himself available for the next pass."

“Once receiving the ball, he is comfortable technically and he has great vision with a varied range of accurate passing.

“The Dutchman, wherever he is selected, is a real threat in front of goal and on the edge of the area."

“The power in his shots can trouble goalkeepers from great distance, which should get St. James Park on its feet."

“He really can be a game decider.”

“At Ajax, he had his best years playing alongside Christian Eriksen. If Newcastle can find him a partner in midfield of a similar calibre, Siem de Jong might well be one of the signings of the season,”

First set of quotes is from Will Burns, a journalist and editor of TotalDutchFootball.com, in an interview with Ryder. I know how well links to Ryder's work is welcomed here.

The last quote is from the link already posted by the Fish.

"I’m really pleased that we’ve managed to get a striker early"

Pardew

Early?

Interesting point of view given that we have a game in less than a fortnight and the average age of all other strikers in the squad is 19.