Siem De Jong

Barney

Pardew

Early?

Interesting point of view given that we have a game in less than a fortnight and the average age of all other strikers in the squad is 19.

Our 1st competitive game is nigh on a month and a half away. I don't think the team that takes the field for the Sports Direct Derby is going to represent Pardew's first choice for the season.

Our 1st competitive game is nigh on a month and a half away. I don't think the team that takes the field for the Sports Direct Derby is going to represent Pardew's first choice for the season.

Nah he will have to rotate the left back seventy odd times first.

I suppose we've got to wait until the big lads come back from the WC to see what kind of a squad we have. But we still need the finished article strikers.

Siem de Jong on being left out of the World Cup

"I was close to going to the World Cup, but I had a hamstring injury at the end of the season, so Van Gaal said he wasn't going to take me. That was quite a big disappointment, though it was a realistic decision, I still think Van Gaal is good trainer, you can see that in Brazil. I enjoyed working with him and I think he'll do well in England. But hopefully we'll finish above him."

Sun Headline

"You've picked the Jong guy to cross Louis"

Sun rhetoric

"De Jong is out for revenge on Van Gaal"

"Van Gaal snubbed him for Brazil"

"midfielder wants to show new Man Utd chief what he's missing"

Seriously, shouldn't there be a law against these people? :lol:

Tends to give you a running start to have your players play a pre-season together though.

I've said elsewhere I'll start to worry about our depth come August, but that's not to say it would have been reasonable to do half of our pre-season without a couple of strikers that could play in the league.

Tends to give you a running start to have your players play a pre-season together though.

I've said elsewhere I'll start to worry about our depth come August, but that's not to say it would have been reasonable to do half of our pre-season without a couple of strikers that could play in the league.

Absolutely agree with your first point. I think if we are actually after Cabella, that won't be sorted until after the World Cup so it could be another fortnight before that one is close to completion.

I'm not positive we'll bring in enough to have a good season, but I'm confident we're not done shopping yet and I'm hopeful that we'll be aiming to get the deals done quicker than not.

You would think that they must have told De Jong that we have some intentions on improving the squad for him to sign. His brother was here for what was a torrid second half of them season so it stands to reason that he would have been aware of where we are. He's surely a player that would have had a few options so if he's picked us they must have convinced him that we at least will have a squad capable of giving him the chance to do well. Whether or not what we've promised him is actually the truth is a different matter.

Someone at The Mag with yet another lovely positive article about our new man.

http://www.themag.co.uk/the-mag-articles/siem-de-jong-sold-champions-league-dream-newcastle/

Have I told you guys how much I hate The Mag?

They're not being negative about the player. They make that clear in their opening paragraph. But they're entirely right to scoff at the patter that he's ended up coming out with, because it's plainly bullshit.

He's being used by the club to try and generate ticket sales on the promise of a CL qualification tilt. There is absolutely no intention from within the club to do that.

De Jong has quoted that we are aiming for a 4th place finish and a Champions League place.

I hope his comment is based on his behind closed doors knowledge of just who we are going to sign to achieve that. He ain't ganna dee it hesself.

The more players of his quality coming in will show the quality we already have that we are heading in the right direction, albeit a lot slower than we would have wanted.

Players like him attract other players, just like Cabaye did. Of course we will lose the odd player but who doesn't? I mean very few clubs keep everyone happy, except those in champions league contention.

I have a great feeling about this summer. I think there's another 3 or 4 additions to come.

De Jong has quoted that we are aiming for a 4th place finish and a Champions League place.

I hope his comment is based on his behind closed doors knowledge of just who we are going to sign to achieve that. He ain't ganna dee it hesself.

I think somethings been lost in translation.

Same story Pards gave Cabaye.

The more players of his quality coming in will show the quality we already have that we are heading in the right direction, albeit a lot slower than we would have wanted.

Players like him attract other players, just like Cabaye did. Of course we will lose the odd player but who doesn't? I mean very few clubs keep everyone happy, except those in champions league contention.

I have a great feeling about this summer. I think there's another 3 or 4 additions to come.

Confirmed WUM

I think we should focus on balls through the middle. Wingers aren't as effective any more

I think that is Pardew's plan. If going through the middle fails then going over the top will be the one and only other alternate tactic. Basically the same shit as seen before. :lol:

Probably based on finishing 5th in 11/12 and being 5th a month before we sold Cabaye.

Not a stretch to sell it to someone who wasn't paying attention as "Cabaye was talismanic and losing him derailed the season ...we want you to be our new talisman"