Siem De Jong

Barney

The rare times he got on the pitch for us he seemed to have an ok range of passing, would be nice to see him at full match fitness. 

Seems he played 20 or so games like Andrew mentioned and scored 6 goals so not a terrible season, hopefully he's put this shite run of injuries behind him. 

2 hours ago, RobinRobin said:

Hopefully, if he does play, he will not miss open goals again, when he could have saved us from relegation 

I forgot about that, it was one of the very few games in the season where they dominated and deserved the 3 points yet still couldn't beat a very poor Villa team. 

3 hours ago, RobinRobin said:

Hopefully, if he does play, he will not miss open goals again, when he could have saved us from relegation 

Crikey that is some next level scapegoating for the relegation.

Classy player when fit, but so rarely fit I wouldn't risk relying on him being our first choice. Personally, I'd flog him now or in the winter window.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rogerbarton said:

I think he's got great raw talent. If he can get a run in the team he might well turn out to be a huge boon.

got to be better than diame in that position. he was rank off the striker, perez wasn't much better. 

17 minutes ago, sammynb said:

Don't be dishing the greatest Tasmanian ever.

Record holder for the most cans consumed between London and Sydney.

I knew that actually. 48 cans or something wasn't it? :lol:

Reminds me of Mike Brierley's book The Art of Captaincy  when he's going on about how the authorities were trying to clamp down on the loutish behaviour at the MCG for the Boxing Day Test so they restricted the amount of beer one person could bring in to one slab, i.e. 24 cans per person :lol:

15 minutes ago, Alex said:

Something like that, took the record from cousin Doug by the odd can.

Family's never been the same since. :(

1 hour ago, Alex said:

Reminds me of Mike Brierley's book The Art of Captaincy  when he's going on about how the authorities were trying to clamp down on the loutish behaviour at the MCG for the Boxing Day Test so they restricted the amount of beer one person could bring in to one slab, i.e. 24 cans per person :lol:

the glory days. you can't even take any of your own beers into most test grounds these days. they search your bag and confiscate it, forcing you to drink £5 a pint fosters or some shite out of a plastic cup <_<

• 5 years later...
24 minutes ago, ohhh_yeah said:

de Jong retiring. The boots have been hung up.

He retired when he was playing for us. Stealing a living since. 

Best remembered for

🙂 

• Haha 3

I always really liked Siem De Jong in Ajax Years.

But it just didn't work here. We also didn't have a game system that favored him.

A few months before signing for us, he suffered a serious muscle injury and as soon as he signed with us he suffered it again and he was only able to play 4-5 games in the season.

I think that conditioned the rest of his career.

In addition, the year that he was able to play with us, he was seen without rhythm and in a team (with McClaren) where his position was Wijnaldum, who was the best player on the team that year.

It's a shame, because he really had football. Before the injury, he was a player who looked like he was going to be very good, but afterwards he was never the same again and he could not be important again in the Netherlands, Australia or the United States.

• Like 1