Important to finish above the makems ?

essembeeofsunderland

Re: Accent

The Wearside accent is a kick in arse off a Teesside accent which is in turn a kick in the arse from a York/North Yorks accent. It's generally accepted that most accents are a continuum, one interpretation of the Wearside accent could be a blend of Tyneside and Teesside, which would suggest to me if you can't understand a Sunderland accent you wouldn't have a snowball in hells chance of understanding anything further away.

Think of this though, although most accents are a continuum, I'd say Newcastle/Tyneside/Northumberland is a bit unusual in that it borders Scotland. External pressures that cause accents to change in Scottish and Northumberland accents historically have essentially been polar opposites; whilst Geordies have become more and more English sounding (non-rhotic among other features) the Scottish accents in the Borders are absorbing more and more features associated with Central Scotland.

In short, Geordies have by far the more non-standard or unique accent when compared to Sunderland or any other place south of the Tyne.

TORKY BORGAZZ!!

Quite fuckin true and speaking as a Borderer it grinds my fuckin teeth to hear all these kids sounding like extras from fuckin Trainspotting; adding "ehhhyy??!!" on to the end of every bastard statement they make.

The Border Scots of the Cheviots that I speak has much in common with the English dialect spoken in Northumberland; lots of the words are the same. Changing now though. I blame the fuckin idiots' lantern that is multi channel TV :glare:

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not bait though, it's what I think. You have no real place trying to gauge popular opinion, seeing as though you've been away 20 years and couldn't see yourself living anywhere but London. You're the only toon fan I know with any time for Everton or Sunderland for example. Out of touch with reality, although I wouldn't worry about it. When was the last time you went to say 3 home games in a season? 20 years, understandable, but don't make out to these people that you're some sort of voice of the people. Most of my mates are more scornful of mackems than I am.

Where am I making myself out to be a voice of the people like? Just saying my piece, as are you.

It's pretty easy gauging popular opinion by reading comments on here. There's a lot of mocking but your take is unique as far as can see. And while I know plenty of Geordies who take the piss out of Sunderland and their support, it's usually in good humour - I've never heard anyone describe them as you do, like they're a different species or something.

Same goes for your sweeping generalisations about other clubs and towns. Sometimes it's funny. Often it just sounds a bit bitter and pathetic. Like you're trying to make up for our team's lack of trophies by comparing our average attendances from the 1980s. I'm proud of our supporters. We get massive crowds, despite being mostly shit, but the whole "my club is bigger than your club" chat is boring.

To your final point, i wish i could still get to more home games a season but I can't - got a life and a young family in London. I can't see myself living anywhere else but London because that's where the work is. Doesn't make me love my home town any less nor does it make me less entitled to an opinion about the city, which i still visit many times a year, or the club, which I still support fanatically. I suppose to you though I'll always just be a mug OOT, right?

I agree with some of your comments Dr Gloom although not all. I would never generalise and say all Geordies were inbred or all the other shit just because ive seen the odd one being interviewed making a tit of himself. That was my point amd for what its worth i hope you dont go down nor us for that matter as we are not safe either. I do business with Geordies, I have no beef with them - its just banter adn i certainly wouldnt insult them by saying they were all this or that. Im a fair bloke

Am i right to think you are NOT a butcher then?

Whether we qualify or not to being a `proper' geordie,we are never offended when we classed as one,but you call anyone living north of the tyne or Gateshead who support the makems a makem and they will quickly let you know they are not,and in a way which suggests they have been insulted.I don't think anyone is really proud of being a makem or being called a makem.

You're very wrong, I'm very proud to be referred to as a Wearsider or Mackem and will take the opportunity to promote this to anybody from outside of the region; Having worked in Newcastle for a good few years now I'm well aware to many it's an insult, however when you look into the etymology of the word it refers to our rich ship building heritage. Conversely the people of Newcastle were known to us as Tackems.

So if you think about it the term Mackems is in essence a reference to our building of mighty ships through skilled craftsmen taming hot metals by the Wear, Tackems were the ones who generally received those ships to fit the carpets, curtains and toilet roll holders.

You're very wrong, I'm very proud to be referred to as a Wearsider or Mackem and will take the opportunity to promote this to anybody from outside of the region; Having worked in Newcastle for a good few years now I'm well aware to many it's an insult, however when you look into the etymology of the word it refers to our rich ship building heritage. Conversely the people of Newcastle were known to us as Tackems.

So if you think about it the term Mackems is in essence a reference to our building of mighty ships through skilled craftsmen taming hot metals by the Wear, Tackems were the ones who generally received those ships to fit the carpets, curtains and toilet roll holders.

Pretty sure mackem & tackem was either a reference to you building ships poorly and us having to fix them afterwards, or you building merchant/industrial ships and us building military vessels (you Mack'em and we Attack'em). Doesn't matter mind, this thread was started by a lad asking if we were bothered about finishing above you lot and the overwhelming response was "No, sunderland's league finish is irrelevant".

Now the 15+ page thread on Ready To Go apparently claims we're all obsessed with you. Now, Beda, I'm going to put a question to you and I'd like a straight answer.

It seems most weeks there is a thread about Newcastle United (matches, form, players, managers, owners, fans, whatever) on your most popular message board, and yet there is not a similar coverage of your trials and tribulations upon Newcastle's most popular boards. Now, given that fact, wouldn't a casual observer conclude that sunderlands fans are, in fact, more bothered about Newcastle United than vice versa?

Another possible derivation.

Sunderland folk are now more often referred to as ‘mackems (and tackems)’ mainly because that is how we pronounce make and take which is a clear difference in pronounciation from that of ‘geordies’ who say it more like mayke and tayke. This was then said to be because we mack the ships and you tack them away.

Pretty sure mackem & tackem was either a reference to you building ships poorly and us having to fix them afterwards, or you building merchant/industrial ships and us building military vessels (you Mack'em and we Attack'em). Doesn't matter mind, this thread was started by a lad asking if we were bothered about finishing above you lot and the overwhelming response was "No, sunderland's league finish is irrelevant".

Now the 15+ page thread on Ready To Go apparently claims we're all obsessed with you. Now, Beda, I'm going to put a question to you and I'd like a straight answer.

It seems most weeks there is a thread about Newcastle United (matches, form, players, managers, owners, fans, whatever) on your most popular message board, and yet there is not a similar coverage of your trials and tribulations upon Newcastle's most popular boards. Now, given that fact, wouldn't a casual observer conclude that sunderlands fans are, in fact, more bothered about Newcastle United than vice versa?

To be honest I do not usually post on message boards at all, I read RTG infrequently and in truth posting on this forum is quite out of character for me, so forgive me if I do not take the time to review post or threads counts to verify what you're saying, I would hazard a guess that RTG receives considerably more traffic than this forum though.

In the real world my personal experiences would not agree with what you're saying but I think the majority of both sides tend to be balanced when it comes to banter, we know where our sensitive spots are and know where the barriers between banter and insults lie. I'm honest enough to know I can never be fully objective on this subject so I'm not going to bullshit you about that. I'd say the majority of Sunderland fans accept what we are, a team that in reality can float anywhere between 8th and 17th in the Premier League and that would be a fair reflection of what we are as a club, my experiences with Newcastle supporters suggest there are a fair amount of you that arn't comfortable acknowledging the same.

Edited by Beda

To be honest I do not usually post on message boards at all, I read RTG infrequently and in truth posting on this forum is quite out of character for me, so forgive me if I do not take the time to review post or threads counts to verify what you're saying, I would hazard a guess that RTG receives considerably more traffic than this forum though.

In the real world my personal experiences would not agree with what you're saying but I think the majority of both sides tend to be balanced when it comes to banter, we know where our sensitive spots are and know where the barriers between banter and insults lie. I'm honest enough to know I can never be fully objective on this subject so I'm not going to bullshit you about that. I'd say the majority of Sunderland fans accept what we are, a team that in reality can float anywhere between 8th and 17th in the Premier League and that would be a fair reflection of what we are as a club, my experiences with Newcastle supporters suggest there are a fair amount of you that arn't comfortable acknowledging the same.

That's convenient.

My overwhelming experience is that sunderland fans have a massive chip on their shoulder. They are delighted at our troubles and dismissive of our successes. RTG probably does get more traffic than here, but I doubt it gets more traffic than here and Newcastle-Online combined and you would find that neither board spends much time discussing your club. In fact the majority of the topics where your club is discussed have been started either by one of your lot, or by the rare Newcastle fan who is that "Mag at work" that sunderland fans base their opinions of Geordies on. essembeeofsunderland hates you lot, with an unrivalled passion, fair enough, that's his choice, however he's a rarity.

I've a couple of mackem mates and without fail every derby they're going to smash us, every year we're over-rated, every year we're deluded and every year they'll be top dogs. When Newcastle were relegated these mates said it was coming for a long time, that we've been punching above our weight since Keegan's first time. All these things they said with absolute assurance and literally no self awareness. They only knew about the 9-1 after we'd comfortably beaten you a couple of times. After all that, when I said that I didn't think Gordon was very good, suddenly I'm obsessed and a typical arrogant Mag.

If you can be bothered, have a glance on RTG, count the threads, gauge the anger that comes from their contributors, then come on here and tell me I'm wrong.

Fwiw, Have a look on here for the season's predictions, you'll find many were expecting 8-14th. Which given our over-acheivement last season, I'm sure you could understand. Most Newcastle fans are fully aware of our place in global football, trust me. That our place in football is ahead of you lot, is probably the reason for the enmity that pours forth from Wearside.

Edited by The Fish

A confused makem/geordie/northumbrian Sunderland supporter texted radio Newcastle last night and classed himself as a geordie from Alnwick who supports Sunderland,so there's someone who didn't want to be classed as a makem or wearsider.If you want further proof that they are not like us,another makem said their new signing N'Diaye is the new Viera

A confused makem/geordie/northumbrian Sunderland supporter texted radio Newcastle last night and classed himself as a geordie from Alnwick who supports Sunderland,so there's someone who didn't want to be classed as a makem or wearsider.If you want further proof that they are not like us,another makem said their new signing N'Diaye is the new Viera

I know what you mean - a few of my Geordie mates reckoned Tiote was worth £20m

and a recent post on rtg asked ......M'Clean or Messi. ? `N'Diaye....the new Viera'. I've said it before and i'll say it again,every makem signing is a good signing and after a good game,they are good players.Did you rate Milton Nunez,the makem Nunez or the real Nunez ? Take your pick.

Mclean is way way off being a good player - he is raw and makes mistakes but has the heart of a lion and will run his legs off for the shirt. Most Sunderland fans (including me) agree he should be a substitute at best until he either matures or moves on. Nunez was a sham - his agent and Peter Reid were the only 2 people who benefited from that deal

So did you cast your vote for Messi or McClean ?.Do you agree that N'Diaye is the new Viera ? Are you now realising that we are not like you ? Tiote being worth £20m doesn't seem so rediculous when you consider what has been asked or stated recently by SAFC fans.

Have you always been angry and confrontational or did you have to attend night classes.

1. No

2. I only saw his substitutes appearance against West Ham at home and wasn't at the Wigan away game - not really long enough to make a judgement TBF. Stan Varga had an outstanding debut and look what happened to him. Im realistic

Have you always been angry and confrontational or did you have to attend night classes.

1. No

2. I only saw his substitutes appearance against West Ham at home and wasn't at the Wigan away game - not really long enough to make a judgement TBF. Stan Varga had an outstanding debut and look what happened to him. Im realistic

Do yo now understand that generalisations are part and parcel of "banter"?

I saw Nunez,not the real one,play for your reserves against ours at Kingston Park and he did ok.The little i've seen of McClean suggests he can add a spark but not consistently,but he's no Messi.By the way,it took half a dozen posts before the ludicrous comparison was questioned but then again you are different to us.

Edited by essembeeofsunderland