Massadio Haïdara signs for Newcastle on 5.5 year deal

Tooj

@F8Piraux: Newcastle and Nancy agree 2.5€M fee for 20-year-old French left-back Massadio Haïdara. No agreement for personal terms for now. #NUFC

@davidmcrossan: #Lequipe has #Nancy accepting the 2.5 million euro #nufc offer for Haidara but says LB hasn't agreed terms with club

Now of course I expect this news on here will come down with a lot of cynicism and people will moan about him not being a centre half or forward that will come straight into the first team. Yet to me we are still in need of some squad depth as if Santon gets injured we haven't got anybody that is ready to step in. I'm not including Ferguson in this as he has clearly show he is not ready to be a first team regular and needs to go out on loan . Plus prior to Norwich Santon was having arguably his worst spell in a Newcastle shirt so the competition for his place is another benefit of this signing.

Likewise if Debuchy gets injured or suspended it means we can use Santon at right-back.

Of course I expect everyone on here to twist this and say that Santon will now be off anyway.

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We do need a bigger squad, so providing he isn't Santon's replacement, then it's good.

However, if the end of our spending is more players for our 'development' squad like Amalfitano/Good, that aren't ready for the first team, we're in trouble.

It would be churlish to complain about anyone coming in. Apparently he's represented France at U19,U20 and U21 so clearly a prospect.

He's not played many more games in France than Ferguson has in England though. Not sure how much more competition he will provide.

I assume Ryan Taylor will continue to be the utility man ahead of either of them once fit.

Well seeing as senior officials at Milan say they want Santon its not too much of a twist to suggest that the possible arrival of a new left back isn't entirely unrelated...we'll see.

There's not many rumours/stories this month about us that haven't been without some substance tbh...and just bcause something doesn't end up happening it may not mean an attempt hasn't been made..I think everyones up for grabs at the right price..and if the players have a willingness to leave, we have major problems on our hands.

But, on a brighter note, Brighton away may be a 3pm kick off next season :)

Well seeing as senior officials at Milan say they want Santon its not too much of a twist to suggest that the possible arrival of a new left back isn't entirely unrelated...we'll see.

There's not many rumours/stories this month about us that haven't been without some substance tbh...and just bcause something doesn't end up happening it may not mean an attempt hasn't been made..I think everyones up for grabs at the right price..and if the players have a willingness to leave, we have major problems on our hands.

But, on a brighter note, Brighton away may be a 3pm kick off next season :)

Milan can't afford him.

I'm hoping Christmas Tree can tell me what his Football Manager stats are like?

If people kept everything in the right thread then you wouldnt need to ask. ;)

http://www.toontastic.net/board/topic/33824-january-2013-transfers/page__st__300#entry1162261

the stats page says he's played 16 times for Nancy this year and hasnt been on the winning side yet!

It also says weak on Aerial duals, weak on concentration and commits lots of fouls.

Milan can't afford him.

Aye, possibly. If Debuchy was around 5mill, how much is Santon worth though?....and if we can can afford that, its not beyond the realms of possibility that Milan could too. In a realistic market, hes not worth more than Debuchy iyam.

Edited by PaddockLad

I get the point about strength in depth but how much depth have the likes of Abeid, Good, Amalfitano etc. really given us? They've looked shite against half decent teams and Pardew has said as much.

The irony being the fees and wages for all the kids we've bought in the last 2 years would give us a decent CF/CB who could actually help out the first team.

We have an academy that attracts local lads like Campbell, Dummett, Tavernier who are every bit as good if not better than some of the foreign kids we seem intent on buying

I get the point about strength in depth but how much depth have the likes of Abeid, Good, Amalfitano etc. really given us? They've looked shite against half decent teams and Pardew has said as much.

The irony being the fees and wages for all the kids we've bought in the last 2 years would give us a decent CF/CB who could actually help out the first team.

We have an academy that attracts local lads like Campbell, Dummett, Tavernier who are every bit as good if not better than some of the foreign kids we seem intent on buying

Good hasn't actually featured for us and when was the last time Amalfitano played? So you can't say they've looked shite for us when they haven't actually played.

You proved my point. Why buy kids from abroad for fees and wages when we have our own kids at home in the reserves and academy who would give their right nut to represent the club. I've seen Amalfitano 3 or 4 times now and been very unimpressed. I've seen Abeid more than that and been even less impressed. We are now paying 2.5mil for a kid who has fewer games under his belt than Ferguson and judging by the French journalists on Twitter has a long way to go before he's fit for purpose.

We are in dire need of first team players, not strength in depth with kids that may or may not be good in 3 or 4 years. The match against Mid table, championship team Brighton showed how well that policy is going so far