Massadio Haïdara signs for Newcastle on 5.5 year deal

Tooj

Bit harsh that me thinks, been one of our better players this season even though its not saying much.

Has flashed some stuff going forward (occasionaly) but defensively (his main job) has not been very good IMO

Thought Haidara looked like proper defender (as he got into the game) with some ability going forward, that's the better balance of the skills for the position for me.

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Massively encouraging debut; shows how the squad is improving & when the needs of Ferguson, Sammy etc need their cards ASAP.

If we assume our best XI is -: Krul - Debuchy Yanga-Mbiwa Colo Santon - Tiote Sissoko Cabaye - Ben Arfa Gouffran Cisse

This means we can name a bench including - Haidara, Taylor, Anita, Marveaux supported by lesser lights of Elliott with 2 from Shola, Perch, Bigi & Obertan

That's 15 top quality players so far.

As ever, we need to add a striker in the summer as well as doing the hard bit; keeping the rest of the squad.....

Has flashed some stuff going forward (occasionaly) but defensively (his main job) has not been very good IMO

Thought Haidara looked like proper defender (as he got into the game) with some ability going forward, that's the better balance of the skills for the position for me.

Yeah he's still got loads to learn and doing it when you've got Williamson and Perch as your CBs is probably not the best way to go about it. I think with time he can become a very decent defender. Not sure if we've decided LB is his best position though.

I wouldn't. I doubt he is anywhere near facing a decent premiership winger like Lennon, for example, who'd go past him at will.

He's maybe one for the future but he looks like he has a lot to learn.

He was one of the best players on the pitch imo. You make him sound like some youngster who looked okay in spells but generally out of his depth which wasn't the case at all.

He would need a bit of time to settle in the Premiership but going off that performance I would have no worries if he had to step in now.

• 2 weeks later...

To be fair I don't think Oxlaide-Chamberlain's rise was entirely predictable & it was heavily aided by a poor run of form from Walcott. They aren't big fans of the premier league anyway I suppose.

Thats the idea of having a strong squad isnt it? The whole defence was excellent today to be honest, even Simpson wasnt half bad. Mbiwa and Haidara(less so) are potentially different class though, what a welcome change from the kind of defenders we've been signing over the years.

• 2 weeks later...