Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa

2bias

• Replies 711
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't believe we're looking to get rid. Wasn't he Montpellier's captain before we bought him? He's a full French international. He's young. He's better than S. Taylor and Williamson. He's obviously a quality player out of sorts. I don't buy into this 'not suited to the league' nonsense. Colo was fucking horrid in his first season and he adjusted. Give this guy a similar chance and I'm sure he'll prove himself as Colo did. Pardew needs his head read if he offloads this guy. What the fuck is going on?

We should stick with him and partner him with Colo at every opportunity, he's struggling to adapt because he's played out of position or not given a decent run in the side, he can be a good player for us. To send him back to Ligue 1 on loan is ridiculous.

Colo was hopeless in nearly every game he played in his first season, not to belabor the point. He needs time. Our squad is thin enough already; offloading players like Marveaux and Ben Arfa who weren't going to play is one thing, but leaving us with Colo, Williamson, and Taylor at CB for a new season is a recipe for utter calamity.

Still think he should be starting every game alongside Colo. His potential didn't just vanish overnight.

We ought to be looking for a CB even if Mapou stays imo. Offload Taylor if you must. Colo's form last season was questionable. Willo is always prone to imploding. We could have a top 5 attack but we'd struggle with these at the back. Someone decent to come in and form a decent partnership along the likes of Janmaat and Santon(hopefully) would be great.

Agreed, we've not got a really strong cb now tbh. In previous years Colo definitely was but last year he wasn't looking his best, hopefully he comes back into form. We really need a CB, cover at full back and at least 1 striker.

Mbiwa is a really good defender who was captain of Montpellier, guided them to a league title and became a French international in the process. The problem is he has been Pardewed. This guy is seriously quick off the mark, strong and he was a very cultured centre back who could bring the ball out of defence like Colo. The problem lies in the fact he is a defender who needs a good centre back with him and to learn off. Colo wasn't great last season at all and appears to be in decline. I won't say he will be absolutely crap next season because he still has experience and positioning.

Personally, I think Mbiwa needs to leave, not because he is a bad defender but because we have a coach who can't help him adapt to the game. This guy came highly rated off of Carr and in France. Maybe even Cabella might give him a lift.

We ought to be looking for a CB even if Mapou stays imo. Offload Taylor if you must. Colo's form last season was questionable. Willo is always prone to imploding. We could have a top 5 attack but we'd struggle with these at the back. Someone decent to come in and form a decent partnership along the likes of Janmaat and Santon(hopefully) would be great.

Completely agree. How the management thinks our defence is strong enough to keep a clean sheet escapes me.

The problem is Mbiwa looks shite alongside Colo, they are too similar in how they want to play. He was clearly bought as Colo's replacement and for me he looked good last season when he replaced him while he was injured (probably better than Colo himself looked most of the time).

No one wanted to see him as a fullback (least of all him I imagine) and it's clear he shouldn't be playing there. I think he could be a very good centre half for us but I can't really see it ever happening as long as Colo is here. I do feel he might be the type of player who is always close to dropping a bollock mind you.

Williamson and Taylor are both shite and we clearly should be looking to improve on them. But I can't see that happening.

Colo was hopeless in nearly every game he played in his first season, not to belabor the point. He needs time. Our squad is thin enough already; offloading players like Marveaux and Ben Arfa who weren't going to play is one thing, but leaving us with Colo, Williamson, and Taylor at CB for a new season is a recipe for utter calamity.

Still think he should be starting every game alongside Colo. His potential didn't just vanish overnight.

If Colo plays, Mapou can't and vice versa. Simples. They are both left sided central defenders which is why the likes of Willo and Saylor play better with Colo. Mapou has a lot of potential and if Pardew decides to sell him this will be one player that Ashley will lose money on.

• 5 weeks later...

Incorrect.A lot on here wanted him at fulback just to give him a game.He has generally been shit at both fulback and central defence.He has been weak in the air and in the tackle.His positional play has been a joke when in central defence.He has resembles a frightened rabbit more than a Premier League footballer. Not good enough for our defence which about sums him up perfectly.He's no better than Taylor before you start !!!

Madness, this. I can't see how Richards is any more suited to the role that Mapou will be vacating.

I would imagine that, if it's true (and it's been doing the rounds as a rumour for a while), then it'll Richards instead of Williamson or Taylor playing alongside Colo.