Anyone suffer from insomnia?

Dr Gloom

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get random bouts of it. It's a fucking nightmare. It was gone 5 by the time I dropped off last night.

I used to, realised it was all my own doing and cut out the things that caused it, to excellent results. I'm sure I've mentioned what those were before. I'll do a search.

Last couple of nights I've had real trouble keeping awake by eight at night, managed to hang on till ten then was out for the count but wide awake about five. (sometimes three or four). It's periodical and boils down to doing permanent nightshift which is proven to have side effects to the human body and psyche. Wish I could get out of it I really do, it's the first time in my working life I've done a permanent night shift pattern and it's even worse than doing it every other few weeks.

I think for me it's mainly psychological. Most days I drop off fine. Other times I'll get into bed and just can't relax, can't get comfortable. Then I start worrying about being knackered the next day the longer I can't sleep. And the more the mind races, the harder it is to relax. I wish it would fuck off. Especially annoying as the wife drops off the second her head hits the pillow.

Get up, sit in the dark and drink a cup of hot/warm water.

Don't know why but it generally works a treat.

If that doesn't work, wank one out [/jimbo & Parky (but not together {hopefully})]

Edited by sammynb

I wouldn't say Insomnia but it's getting up really late when I'm in work the next day i.e today I got up at 1pm when I'm in work at 7 tomorrow and won't be able to sleep tonight till like 2/3am

What I hate is stupid people (usually girls) claiming they've got insomnia at 11pm on a weekday because they can't sleep when they are to busy on facebook and twitter telling everybody

Edited by Idioteque

Occasionally I struggle getting to sleep, but it's improved loads in the last few years since I started exercising more so I'm physically pretty tired by the time I go to bed.

Sometimes I still wake in the night and can't get back to sleep so I'll go downstairs and read a book or watch some TV for half an hour. Weirdly, I can often get back to sleep on the sofa a lot easier than in bed.

I have before, fucking horrible. Not for ages though. Similar to Jill, I think a mix of better eating, cutting out any late drinking (beer/wine or coffee), no late eating, no late PC games etc really help. In fact when Im getting up early for the gym (half five) Im fucked from about 10pm. By friday Im normally falling a kip on the settee by 9. What used to help me was reading. Rather than fighting it (worrying about not sleeping was keeping me awake man) Id get up, get a glass of water and grab my book. Read a few pages and try again.

I get real bad trouble with it once every 2 month, for about 4 days. It's fucking horrible because the 'daytime' during that period is just a complete write off - I mean, I'm not work shy by any stretch, but I just can't do anything. It's utter shit. So the last time it happened was about 3 months ago - since then I've altered my drinking patterns a bit. Basically started drinking earlier, so that I have my last pint/can earlier as well. This has helped the problem for sure, combined with starting going running 3 times a week, I've been okay thus far.

N.B: After saying that, no doubt I'll get to kip at around 8 a.m tonight.

Edited by ADP

Where's all these insomniacs then? Talk the talk but don't walk the walk. Nearly ten past two in the morning and not a sign of them! No doubt in bed sleeping like babies. Fucking lightweights.

;)

Solid 8 hours last night for me. It's totally random

Where's all these insomniacs then? Talk the talk but don't walk the walk. Nearly ten past two in the morning and not a sign of them! No doubt in bed sleeping like babies. Fucking lightweights.

;)

:lol: One thing I'll never do is put the computer on, because there's no chance of getting back to sleep if I get browsing.

Ive had big problems with this, had about 3 months of hell a year ago. Stopping the booze has massively improved the quality of my sleep. Also, I never take the laptop to the bedroom. Having said that I think the major cause of this is often worry or a niggling sense that something is wrong, even if you can't consciously resolve what it is.

Ive had big problems with this, had about 3 months of hell a year ago. Stopping the booze has massively improved the quality of my sleep. Also, I never take the laptop to the bedroom. Having said that I think the major cause of this is often worry or a niggling sense that something is wrong, even if you can't consciously resolve what it is.

Yup, I'm convinced it's all in the mind. Some nights I drop off no problems. Other nights I just feel restless for no obvious reason and can't relax or get comfortable. And as soon as those thoughts about not getting a good night's sleep enter the mind, it makes it even harder to unwind enough to drop off.

I used to, realised it was all my own doing and cut out the things that caused it, to excellent results. I'm sure I've mentioned what those were before. I'll do a search.

Found it...

I had serious sleep problems for ages. If it really bothers you, being sensible is the only solution. I liked staying up late so had to put up with the fact I wouldn't sleep regular. After a while I got sick of being shattered and this was the 12 point plan that sorted me...

1. Go to bed at the same time every night.

2. Get up at the same time every morning, irrespective of how much sleep you got that night.

3. The alloted-bed time and rise time should give you at least 6 hours.

4. The alloted-bed time and rise time should give you at most 8 hours.

5. Don't eat anything for an hour or two before bed (especially sugary food).

6. Use your bedroom only for sleep and sex. Don't watch telly, read a book or play any games in bed.

7. Allow as little light into your room as possible, complete darkness is best.

8. Concentrate on going to sleep as soon as your head hits the pillow. I find it useful to try and try and see the lightshow that occurs behind your eyes when they're closed.

9. Allocate half an hour before bed as thinking time. Have a bath or a wank or a shit but nothing that gets your mind ticking over (like a chat forum).

10. Turn any clocks away from you in bed so you cannot find out how long you've been lying there.

11. If you're thinking "shit, I can't get to sleep. Get up and don't go back to bed until you're tired. 10 - 15 minutes is a general rule of thumb on how much time to give yourself (but you shouldn't keep checking a clock).

12. Alcohol in excess is bad for sleep. If you go an a bender on Saturday, excpect little sleep on Sunday night. Lots of water on Sunday will lessen the effect.

http://www.toontastic.net/board/topic/20696-insomnia/#entry509988

That last one is the hardest to sort for me. I had a shitty time trying to get to sleep last night following on from drinking at the match, but it wasn't as bad as it often is because I was hoying water down my neck all day.

Someone on the mackem board the other week recommended:

Breathe deeply for 2 min, getting yourself comfortable, use your belly to breathe, expanding it when you breathe in and notice the cool air entering your nose.

Then count backwards from 300 (in your head) using the words two-nine-nine, two-nine-eight, two-nine-seven - rather than saying two hundred and ninety nine, two hundred and ninety eight.

It doesn't matter if you find yourself daydreaming about something (you will, that's the point) as soon as you realise you've stopped counting, go back to the last number you remember and continue, I've never gotten to 0 - although this isn't the aim, it's not a challenge

I've tried it once or twice since, not got to zero yet - I think the lowest was about 21.