History of NUFC forums

sammynb

After wasting an hour of my life reading NO last night for the first time in years, when the meter ran out on TT; I was later chatting to Cath and we were discussing the lineage of NUFC forums from back in the day to now.

I have a distinct memory of a forum run by HowayTheToon, before he turned into a shark researcher, I think it was even called HTT but one day it disappeared because he was locked out/someone else owned the server, am I imagining things? Was it called HTT?

Also what's the lineage of NUFC forums?

Was it?

Linuxdriven board

Talk of the Tyne/Skunkers

toon-chat.co.uk

HTT

NO

TT

Leazes/Wacky's HTT

Edited by sammynb

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phil Craig was the mod on the Newcastle subforum on soccer 24-7, which was canny for a while but swiftly went downhill. The original toontastic.linuxdriven.net came out of that. JawD, Cath and Alreetlike were all on there, must have been about 2001/02.

Odd like, "i'm just the techy" i feck off for the day, 30mins later something happens and no one else sorts it. :rolleyes:

Maybe you need to paint the reset button red so the others can find it.

And you owe me an hour after making me go to NO! ;)

Was Howaythetoon the one that followed on from toon-chat.co.uk? Think I first joined up in about 04/05.

And didn't it go back to toon-chat after the lockout/everything was deleted because toon-chat was the backup board?

Was not Gemmill was a younger, more aggressive version of himself on there?

Phil Craig was the mod on the Newcastle subforum on soccer 24-7, which was canny for a while but swiftly went downhill. The original toontastic.linuxdriven.net came out of that. JawD, Cath and Alreetlike were all on there, must have been about 2001/02.

I was there in the early days of philip craig's toon chat board, posting as Dan.

It was linked from the top of Nufc.com for a while and was the first toon forum I found, probably around 2000/2001. Regular posters from those days were Blaydon, a deranged Aussie teenager, Li3nz, a racist from Pont, and Bluestar, a namby pamby do gooder.

Iirc, that board merged with HTT, which I never posted on, to form NO around 2003. Then this place spun out from that about 2005 when it became obvious NO was full of tits.

Bev, I thought that was just on which forum people first posted on???

It may well have started with that Sammy, I can't quite remember...but I'm sure someone wrote a fairly long piece on the history of all the forums. It may have even been in an earlier thread, but it's here somewhere! Wish i could find it :(

It may well have started with that Sammy, I can't quite remember...but I'm sure someone wrote a fairly long piece on the history of all the forums. It may have even been in an earlier thread, but it's here somewhere! Wish i could find it :(

If you find it, PM me the link please.

I've been trying to remember which board was which.

I was on there too ;)

So is this objectively the best Toon forum?

Surely it's between NUFC-Forum, N-O, here and Skunkers. I think TT and Skunkers are smaller but older (on average) communities.

Here and N-O (booo, hiss!).

Skunkers is too 'ladbanter' for me.

This is certainly the wrong thread to raise this in but does anyone else think that the default theme puts off random browsers? TBH I find it difficult to look at and it would put me off continuing on here. The light theme is spot on.