History of NUFC forums

sammynb

Phil Craig was the mod on the Newcastle subforum on soccer 24-7, which was canny for a while but swiftly went downhill. The original toontastic.linuxdriven.net came out of that. JawD, Cath and Alreetlike were all on there, must have been about 2001/02.

In a nut-shell aye.

Phil Craig actually used to run the old bulletin boards / news groups if anyone used to use them. then was the NUFC mod on 24-7 which is where I used to post. That place had some canny posters from other clubs for a while. Then he set up the original toontastic and I followed him from 24-7 to there.

NO before that I think from memory was HTT and their idea was to bring TT and HTT together to make one really big NUFC forum. But it didnt work as we know. Im not one who hates NO and so on. Its a canny forum and gets alot of posts etc. Anyway, there were strong personalities on both so when it came together it was never going to last. I was a mod on the original TT and for a while on NO and in fact I wrote the original history section on NO when it launched. But, when TT split off again it wasnt long before I also shifted back over. Skunkers I think was the other that was also around then.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first toon board I went on probably about 2001, I can't remember if it was called Talk or the Tyne (may have been) or what, but it was ran by rivals.net. I think I posted as Stevie, not sure. Leazes remembers me off there, I was a bit of a cheeky cunt to people according to him. I didn't even know N-O existed, but went there about 2005, got banned in 2007 for exposing them. In the mean time I signed up here, and I thought it was a pals board at first but I stayed when I realised the doilum ratio wasn't too bad.

Can someone answer Tom's question does this board get the most hits?

First mb I went on was the 606 one on the BBC about the end of 2006. This is the only all NUFC one I've ever been on since 2009. Cannot believe people have been here since 2001. I didn't access the internet till 2005.

I remember Talk of The Tyne Stevie, blimey that was ages ago! There have been so many NUFC forums. I remember the old Toon-Chat very well though. And HowaytheToon and Skunkers, and the forum run by Leazes.

NO definitely has more conversations that take place at my level like. :lol:

After trying to read the post match reaction in their match thread, Jill how does it not mess with your head?

It's like every second post is by a 19 year old CT clone.

After trying to read the post match reaction in their match thread, Jill how does it not mess with your head?

It's like every second post is by a 19 year old CT clone.

I don't generally read the post-match reaction, it's bad enough sitting through the match in the first place without reminding myself about it afterwards. :lol:

I remember Talk of The Tyne Stevie, blimey that was ages ago! There have been so many NUFC forums. I remember the old Toon-Chat very well though. And HowaytheToon and Skunkers, and the forum run by Leazes.

jesus; leazesmag had his own forum? what kind of masochistic creature populated such a thing?

Edited by Dr Gloom

i can only make a rough estimate but it's between us and NO by a long way the other boards don't come close and it's swings and roundabouts who gets more between us and them, either way we get a lot of traffic but due to our lax rules and unfriendly welcomes they have more regular posters frankly.

Pointed it out on here before, people didn't give a stuff so this is what we're stuck with and why it's in the shape it is.

How would you like to see it change Ant?

These unfriendly welcomes, I've never seen any evidence of them, unless the new member is a clear and present mug.

They're not hence why they offer paid services etc

Like I said there's a reason they have more people posting I brought it up before people dismissed it .

We consistently have over 110 registered members on and I'd struggle to name 50% who post

Like that lad other day he's a donator been registers ages but only put his view out there after getting up some courage lol

Our main problem is due to the rules we use normal fans get shouted down in seconds because we've a 'more intelligent ' level of poster compared to the average football forum . So it's a trade off , you want more people with knowledge like CT or fewer but like chez/happy face

Well I think everything you've said is a positive here. I'd rather have a few members who can talk in depth about football and a wide rang of subject than scores of fuckin spastics. If what you're saying is true then people find toontastic more interesting than Newcastle Online, despite having half the posters. I think that should be looked at as complimentary.

User number 7 and 1.5% of the total forum posts? A tad more than briefly young lady....

http://z7.invisionfr....php?showuser=7

class - was that the temp board when the main one went down or something? i didn't realise the place still existed. I'm responsible for 1.06% of total forum posts http://z7.invisionfree.com/toonchat/index.php?showuser=68

I started using the original toontastic what must be more than a decade ago, which is scary. I used to post a lot as I worked for the local authority and farting about was much easier to do. I did try NO and do still have an account on there, but I found I don't really identify with a lot of the posters on there. Comes across as a young uns place. That's no criticism of it by the way, horses for courses, I just find it the forum equivalent of me walking into a nightclub.

My god, that's a blast from the past looking at those old forums! But thanks Craig and Sammy for posting links, I've found my old Nobby Solano Avatar :thumbsup:

Edited by Toonraider

i can only make a rough estimate but it's between us and NO by a long way the other boards don't come close and it's swings and roundabouts who gets more between us and them, either way we get a lot of traffic but due to our lax rules and unfriendly welcomes they have more regular posters frankly.

Pointed it out on here before, people didn't give a stuff so this is what we're stuck with and why it's in the shape it is.

Would have thought N-O easily gets more hits, and everything else to be honest (threads, posts, members, media attention etc).

I don't post on there any more but I do read it from time to time and it's a noticeably more active board, especially at times like at the moment when the club are very active in the transfer market. In fact I've been visiting there to get my news.

Seems like 95% of the people (including myself) on here are either current or former N-O regulars (either just read it now or were banned) too.