Aston Villa vs Newcastle United

Aeris

• Replies 769
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tayls first night back from injury, don't forget. He struggled with Benteke at times. Most players would have. He's so much more composed than Williamson(don't want to flog a dead horse too much).

Then if people are going to use that excuse for him it was even more mystifying why Pardew started him.

As I said, I would have preferred Perch off for Anita. Jonas should have gone off earlier on and been replaced by one of the new lads. Fair enough Gouffran and Sissoko were tiring badly, but I reckon the former could have stayed on til the end without impacting us too badly. Shola had a negative impact on our ball retention. So even another midfielder and sticking with Cisse up top would have been preferrable for me.

Shola's name precedes him.

He had a better pass accuracy than Cabaye, Debuchy, Gutierrez, Taylor and Anita. The only one of them getting stick is Gutierrez.

He made 5 clearances.

Only Taylor and Debuchy won more aerial duels.

He was dispossessed once.

Then if people are going to use that excuse for him it was even more mystifying why Pardew started him.

I know what you mean. Look at the alternatives though:

Persist with Williamson = had we lost, there's have been murder

Start Mapou = Bent and Benteke are both very good players, he's only had a few days to know his team mates and plays in an area of the pitch where partnerships/understanding are key. Had he had a bad game(Benteke has embarrassed some very good players), the start to his Newcastle career(forgetting the risk of points in the game) on the wrong foot.

Think you're being OTT about Taylor if I'm honest. Not as good as MYM, and back from injury, true. But on other hand he's been in this sort of game before (in this league), he's occasionally useful for set-pieces, he's got a partnership with Colo etc. Maybe tonight wasn't the sort of game to introduce a new CB to the English game.

Can see why he both should and shouldn't have started tbh.

Edited by Monroe Transfer

Shola's name precedes him.

He had a better pass accuracy than Cabaye, Debuchy, Gutierrez, Taylor and Anita. The only one of them getting stick is Gutierrez.

He made 5 clearances.

Only Taylor and Debuchy won more aerial duels.

He was dispossessed once.

I said that bringing on Shola had a negative impact on our ball retention, not that Shola didn't retain the ball. The team stopped playing it on the deck at all and looked for long balls towards him the majority of the time. More often than not the long ball didn't get anywhere near him.

Think you're being OTT about Taylor if I'm honest. Not as good as MYM, and back from injury, true. But on other hand he's been in this sort of game before (in this league), he's occasionally useful for set-pieces, he's got a partnership with Colo etc. Maybe tonight wasn't the sort of game to introduce a new CB to the English game.

Can see why he both should and shouldn't have started tbh.

He was poor tonight so I'm not being OTT at all.

I know what you mean. Look at the alternatives though:

Persist with Williamson = had we lost, there's have been murder

Start Mapou = Bent and Benteke are both very good players, he's only had a few days to know his team mates and plays in an area of the pitch where partnerships/understanding are key. Had he had a bad game(Benteke has embarrassed some very good players), the start to his Newcastle career(forgetting the risk of points in the game) on the wrong foot.

Pardew picked his back four sensibly. I wouldn't have thrown Mbiwa in for this one, especially when you know Villa were going to play direct football.

Pardew picked his back four sensibly. I wouldn't have thrown Mbiwa in for this one, especially when you know Villa were going to play direct football.

Yanga-Mbiwa is class in the air though.

Spot on. Mapou has (hopefully) been signed to form a partnership with Colo. Tayls as 3rd choice and Willo as 4th is fine by me.

I think a couple of things that we can all agree on are that Haidara and Sissoko are the same person and that Ferguson should have started.