Aston Villa vs Newcastle United

Aeris

I don't really think we were poor at all in the second half. Yes we didn't keep the ball well at all but that was mainly down to what Villa were doing rather than us being poor.

For me the only poor thing was Pardew. His substitutions were again bewildering and his tactic of lumping long balls up to Shola who was isolated and is one of the least mobile players I've seen in a long time.

But this was in reaction to what Villa were doing, it wasn't the cause of them getting on top in the second half.

Shola had movement issues 5 years ago.

I fully expect to see him grace the pitch in a mobility scooter this season. It would double his speed.

• Replies 769
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same here. Just been reading the match thread on NO and a lot on there and here seem to think that Pardew did something at half time which caused the second half performance. No offence to anyone but i really dont understand how anyone can look at a match like that and conclude it was Pardew's interventions at half time that led to Villa coming out and scoring within 3 minutes of the re-start.

Then there are the views that hold that the substitutions were to blame. Thats right, the substitutions that start in the 70th minute are to blame for the events in the 45th to 48th minutes. Its funny how people just see what they want to see. Pardew has many faults and there is fair criticism as we were poor in the second half but that was a huge away victory under the circumstances that both clubs were in.

After this place went down after the match last night I ventured over there. First time I've done it in months.

The overriding view is that Villa gifted us the first half, nowt to to with Pardew, and that Villa had nowt to do with the second half, we just decided to go defensive.

It's about as wrong headed a reading of the match as I can imagine.

I'll not pretend Pardew had any answers to the tactical changes Lambert made, but deserves credit for at least achieving the lead that was ultimately unassailable.

How Villa performed against Millwall or Bradford is irrelevant, I'm sure everyone involved with their club is 100% focussed on staying up and could care less about the cups.

Also 'having a feeling' that we 'should' have done better in the second half isn't a reason why we should. As noted by certain match reports, the Villa that turned up in the second half was the one that beat Liverpool away and gave Man U a run for their money.

Totally agree; to suggest that Pardew is to blame for Villa's resurgence in the second half is the kind of brainless insanity that has characterised the decline of the level of understanding of the average football fan since Sky TV started televising everything.

Twenty years ago it wasn't uncommon to see "a game of two halves" whereby the ascendancy swapped after the break. Sometimes it happens because of complacency & stupid tactics (Reading) & sometimes it happens because a team goes shit or bust because they need to win to save themselves (Villa).

A daft, soft penalty gave Villa some early momentum & they gave it their all. It had nothing to do with Pardew's team talk at half time & all to do with Lambert making 2 subs (Weimann is obviously more mobile than Bent & Agbonlahor, despite being out of form for a couple of years, has a decade of top flight experience to rely on) who did their bit to bring them in to the game.

So, let's give Villa's players some credit for finally realising they are in danger of going down.

Where Pardew got it wrong was in his substitutions. Clearly not even Fritzl Tree would expect us to react to a goal on 48 minutes by making changes. I do think when it became clear Villa had the bit between their teeth, then bringing Anita on for Jonas & not resorting to lacing it long would have helped draw calm proceedings down. Obviously the new players were a little short of match practice & will only get better.

Mbiwa made a match winning interception, but isn't a defensive midfielder; to say he is "shit" because of this or to write Debuchy off as Fritza tree has done is just pathetic.

However, we won at Villa for the first time in 7 years & it's important we build on this for Saturday; in some ways an unconvincing win is more helpful than a 5 goal demolition.

There is much work to be done, but I'll be happy with tiny steps towards progress. A point in each of the next two games would be great, but a single point wouldn't be a disaster.

After this place went down after the match last night I ventured over there. First time I've done it in months.

The overriding view is that Villa gifted us the first half, nowt to to with Pardew, and that Villa had nowt to do with the second half, we just decided to go defensive.

It's about as wrong headed a reading of the match as I can imagine.

I'll not pretend Pardew had any answers to the tactical changes Lambert made, but deserves credit for at least achieving the lead that was ultimately unassailable.

What disturbs me more than anything is how utterly convinced they are that they are right. That last sentence of yours says it all for me, the subs didnt work because we didnt regain control of the game but we did get all 3 points.

In a funny way, i'd rather have lost against Reading and won last night with these new players than have won against Reading and lost last night without them, if you know what i mean.

We all have to give Pardew and the players a lot of credit for getting a truly massive 6 points - well done to the lot of them.

I think bringing Shola on was supposed to get us back on the front foot, give us a physical presence up front and try to get us holding on to the ball further up the pitch. That would be alright if Shola could do any of those things!

Anyway, we played well in the first half and were understandably nervous in the 2nd. It was a pity Debuchy gave away the pen - no need to make that tackle but hopefully he'll learn from it. If they hadn't scored then, the enthusiasm they came out with after HT might well have fizzled out after 10 mins or so (how often do we see that with teams low on confidence) and we might have gone on to coast the match. Unfortunately the goal gave them belief and made us very, very nervous.

Nevermind, great 3 points and we can look forward to seeing the new lads backed by a vociferous crowd at home against Chelsea. Sissoko looked very handy, I still like the look of Debuchy, Goufran had a solid enough if unspectacular debut... lots of reasons to be positive there, not to mention Cabaye getting stronger and Cisse taking his goal very very well.

I'd like to think we'll attack Chelsea form the off, and I've no doubt whatsoever that Colo will have Ba in his back pocket for the 90 minutes.

However, we won at Villa for the first time in 7 years & it's important we build on this for Saturday; in some ways an unconvincing win is more helpful than a 5 goal demolition.

There is much work to be done, but I'll be happy with tiny steps towards progress. A point in each of the next two games would be great, but a single point wouldn't be a disaster.

My view too. As much as we'd all enjoy tearing teams apart, the team will grow stronger together by making the small steps together.

My view too. As much as we'd all enjoy tearing teams apart, the team will grow stronger together by making the small steps together.

Trouble is, if you make a sensible point like that, Carling slurping replica shirted Sky Boys in wanky carvery style pubs will start screaming & shouting about how Pardew handed the game to Villa.

I think bringing Shola on was supposed to get us back on the front foot, give us a physical presence up front and try to get us holding on to the ball further up the pitch. That would be alright if Shola could do any of those things!

I rather he'd play Xisco in that type of role for the rest of the season.

Carling slurping replica shirted Sky Boys in wanky carvery style pubs

Haha that description is spot on. I remember going to Leicester away in the Championship. We parked near the ground and went to a national chain pub which no doubt put on a carvery on a Sunday. There was a table of 7 or 8 lads, 18-25 year old, all with a bottle of rose wine each. Who the f*ck goes on an away trip and drinks rose wine?

Edited by BigWalrus

How was Colo last night btw? I listened to the second half on the radio and was surprised not to hear more mention from him considering we were so under the cosh.

Never really put a foot wrong in all honesty. Taylor was terrible though.

To be fair, if we play shit in the first half then good in the second then Pardew normally gets a pat on the back for a good teamtalk. Works both ways.

However, I suspect the players thought the game was won and psychologically took their foot off the pedal. Its quite difficult to get the intensity back after this happens.

Haha that description is spot on. I remember going to Leicester away in the Championship. We parked near the ground and went to a national chain pub which no doubt put on a carvery on a Sunday. There was a table of 7 or 8 lads, 18-25 year old, all with a bottle of rose wine each. Who the f*ck goes on an away trip and drinks rose wine?

i know of a Man Citeh fan who does a bottle of Cava in on the way home every time they win away

Soon after Shola came on we humped two balls down the middle.Neither Cisse nor Shola got anywhere near heading it yet the Villa centre half got there to head it.Minutes later a long ball was played to Shola who did his usual trick of judging his jump to perfecttion,slightly lowering his head,resulting in him missing the ball by inches.Shola doesn't want to head the ball so he resorts to this tactic regularly.He's not fooling me.

Edited by essembeeofsunderland

I don't really think we were poor at all in the second half. Yes we didn't keep the ball well at all but that was mainly down to what Villa were doing rather than us being poor.

For me the only poor thing was Pardew. His substitutions were again bewildering and his tactic of lumping long balls up to Shola who was isolated and is one of the least mobile players I've seen in a long time.

But this was in reaction to what Villa were doing, it wasn't the cause of them getting on top in the second half.

I had a pen handy and made notes. From the minute Shola came on we played 18 long balls. Missing 13, winning 5 first touches, conceding possession 18 times

I appreciate that some of them could be counted as clearances but we were sitting too deep that last half an hour & there didn't seem to be anybody to calm it down & break up the play. It just seemed to us blasting it, Villa winning it & having all the time in the world to build up their attacks.

That said Lambert made some very effective changes - particularly Agbonglahor who Debuchy couldn't live with at first - although I don't think it was a penalty & if they didn't get that early goal there's no way they would have sustained that pressure,

Mike Dean was terrible - it always has to be about him - he let them kick the fuck out of us & play how they wanted. He should've played to the rules & I think Villa were lucky to end up with 11 men.

All in all a very important win, Sissoko looks class & the confidence should come so we don't look so shaky.

I had a pen handy and made notes. From the minute Shola came on we played 18 long balls. Missing 13, winning 5 first touches, conceding possession 18 times

I appreciate that some of them could be counted as clearances but we were sitting too deep that last half an hour & there didn't seem to be anybody to calm it down & break up the play. It just seemed to us blasting it, Villa winning it & having all the time in the world to build up their attacks.

That said Lambert made some very effective changes - particularly Agbonglahor who Debuchy couldn't live with at first - although I don't think it was a penalty & if they didn't get that early goal there's no way they would have sustained that pressure,

Mike Dean was terrible - it always has to be about him - he let them kick the fuck out of us & play how they wanted. He should've played to the rules & I think Villa were lucky to end up with 11 men.

All in all a very important win, Sissoko looks class & the confidence should come so we don't look so shaky.

You could get a job for sky, Tom. :lol:

I thought Happy Face was our stats man :D

I forgot about Dean. He truly was awful, some of their challenges that he let go were dreadful.

Loved the fact that he booked a player for showing him the scrapes on his calf resulting from a foul he ignored.