when was the last time we had two quality centre back?

Dr Gloom

the prospect of seeing yanga-mbiwa alongside colo is exciting. sadly that probably isn't going to be the case as colo will likely fuck off back to south america and we'll see him play with williamson.

when we had woodgate, he was partnered with one of bramble or andy o'brien.

when was the last time we had two quality centre backs? albert and peacock don't count, despite them playing in a quality attacking side. i'm not sure we've ever had two top class centre backs in my lifetime supporting newcastle.

Why don't Albert and Peacock count?

Albert was class and Peacock was really underrated. He got a lot of stick at the time but more often than not he was the one holding the line when Albert, Beresford and Barton had all left their positions and joined an attack.

Howey was better than Peacock though.

Why don't Albert and Peacock count?

Albert was class and Peacock was really underrated. He got a lot of stick at the time but more often than not he was the one holding the line when Albert, Beresford and Barton had all left their positions and joined an attack.

Howey was better than Peacock though.

peacock wasn't the most solid centre back ever. he was alreet. less of a donkey than your brambles and boumsongs but still not the best and the less said about his hair, the better. howey was ok but always injured. i wouldn't say either were top quality centre backs in the way colo and mbiwa could be. even albert, for all his quality going forward, wasn't the most solid defensively.

in the robson era we always seemed just one quality centre half away from genuinely looking like challenging for honours.

this colo/mbiwa partnership, if it happens, could be the best we've seen as far as i can remember.

Edited by Dr Gloom

Wasn't the question about two quality central defenders? You might have to go back to the 50s.

It won't sit well on here and I hate to say it, but we've never had a central defender who could match Charlie Hurley. He was very good.

I can't remember if it was 2002-03 or 2003-04 (my recent memory is shocking) but Titus Bramble once played about 5 or 6 home games in a row without making a rick and he was absolutely imperious. I think he might have been playing alongside Woodgate at the time, and for that handful of games our defense looked impenetrable. Was probably Hughes and Bernard at fullback. Woodgate was obviously a real top class defender when he was fit but on his day Bramble was as good... he also had a brilliant long range pass off either foot which you don't see very often from any player, let alone a centre back. Not only that, he was fast, strong, good in the air and used to throw in at least one crowd pleasing monster munch of a tackle every other game. Unfortunately as we all know he was also an accident waiting to happen and an absolute knacker. Pity cos in terms of raw attributes he had the absolute lot, as much as any centre back I can remember at the toon.

Agree about Bramble. We called him "black Bobby Moore" :lol: A lot of weeks he was man of the match.

Then we'd be on the box and he'd fall over his shoelaces or miss an easy clearance or something and the nation would think he was utterly fuckin useless.

Edited by PaddockLad