Moussa Sissoko signs for Spurs for like £30m or WatEVA

Park Life

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuussa.

10387466_656356454432474_478049570462864

Statistically, Newcastle had the 5th highest shots per game in the whole league last season. Above Arsenal, Man U, Everton and Soiuthampton.

They weren't actual chances though.

I'd wager a large proportion of those "chances created" were not visionary trough balls into the box or pinpoint crosses onto someones head, but rather side passes which Tiote blasted into row zz from 30 yards out.

...I wonder if the club use stats like this to convince lazy clubs that don't do their homework on the effectiveness of the player they're buying...and by extension dictate to Pardew the style we should play, which is for anyone and everyone to shoot on sight.

Perhaps a bit too Wolfy that one.

Statistically, Newcastle had the 5th highest shots per game in the whole league last season. Above Arsenal, Man U, Everton and Soiuthampton.

They weren't actual chances though.

I'd wager a large proportion of those "chances created" were not visionary trough balls into the box or pinpoint crosses onto someones head, but rather side passes which Tiote blasted into row zz from 30 yards out.

I can't imagine they count as a chance, unless it's decided retrospectively? Any pass resulting in a shot is counted a chance making pass? Seems a bit muddy. What if some full back receives the ball from the 'keepers punt, then scores from a miss hit cross? Did the 'keeper really create a chance?

In total Newcastle had 579 shots at goal last season. If Sissoko created 76 of those it would be over 13%.

182 shots on target, so if it's 76 of them then Sissoko created almost 42% of opportunities.

I'm inclined to think it must surely be the former.

I didn't mean "on target" or not, I meant that a pass that leads to a shot shouldn't always be classed as a chance creating pass. Sometimes the player receiving the ball fashions his own chance after receiving the ball.

Yeah, but I think there would have to be a shot to call whatever was created a chance.

As 54% of our shots come from outside the box we know that the whole team had 266 shots inside the area. Can't imagine Sissoko provided a third of those single handedly.

Yeah, but I think there would have to be a shot to call whatever was created a chance.

As 54% of our shots come from outside the box we know that the whole team had 266 shots inside the area. Can't imagine Sissoko provided a third of those single handedly.

I suppose, mind you , whichever way you cut it, it shows that Sissoko was involved in the final third more than the rest of our midfielders. Yet he's still dismissed by great swathes of the support as a bit of a carthorse. This stat shows, at the very least, that he's a source of opportunities.