Things Looking Up?

aford92

Well Debuchy and Mbiwa have signed, it seems that Gouffran will sign tomorrow and we are favourites to sign Sissoko from Toulouse in the summer along with Haidara. This season has been a massive disappointment but hopefully we will stay up, put it behind us and concentrate on next year.

If we can convince Cap'n Colo to stay and keep the other big names we can have a starting line up that looks something like this:

--------------------------------Krul----------------------------------

Debuchy--------Coloccini-----------Mbiwa-------------Santon

--------------------Tiote-----------------Sissoko--------------------

-----------------------------Cabaye----------------------------------

HBA--------------------------------------------------------Gouffran

------------------------------Cisse------------------------------------

The biggest problem this season has been the lack of depth in the squad but with these signings I think that will change, we would have good options for almost everywhere.

GK - Elliot

RB - Simpson (assuming he stays), Tavenier and Perch can play there.

LB - Haidara, R.Taylor, Ferguson and Perch

CB- S.Taylor, Williamson and Perch

CM - Anita, Bigi, Gosling, Perch (again) and even Gutierrez can play there if needed.

Wing - Gutierrez, Sammy, Obertan, Marveaux and Ferguson

ST - Shola, Gouffran can play here and Campbell.

Another striker/winger wouldn't go a miss, but that's a solid squad and it's certainly a lot better than what we have now. And if a team like that doesn't qualify for Europe then something is seriously wrong. I know that there's a lot of "if" in this post I try to be an optimist. What do you think?

I'm a long time lurker but I finally decided to register, hope to come here regularly. :thumbup:

Edited by aford92

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As you say, a lot of 'if's' but it does look nice on paper.

And Shola is still shit as out 2nd striker, we'd need someone quality to play with or behind Cisse.

True, but if Cisse is our only good striker then Pardew will be more tempted to play 1 up front.

True, but if Cisse is our only good striker then Pardew will be more tempted to play 1 up front.

One up front doesn't necessarily mean lump it though.

Need to add another striker to the mix before the window wraps up. None of these recent purchases could be seen as a replacement for missing out on whatsisname to QPR.

I must say hats off to the board for what's been accomplished in the last 7 days.

Yes, a few extra bodies in the summer would have prevented things being as bad as they are, but accepting that and moving on, they still deserve credit on a number of fronts.

Coloccini:

It seems as though they have handled his situation spot on and tread a very fine line between supporting him and looking out for the club.

Recruitment:

5 players (so far), particularly of the calibre that people are discussing, was surely beyond most peoples expectations. Not panic buys either but players who have been on GC's radar. The man continues to deliver. Another striker and we would be in dream land. However I accept if as usual they have class targets which they have to wait til the summer for then we should wait rather than a third or fourth choice. Things seem to be afoot with this Aubameyang chap so we will have to wait and see.

There is no denying however that we now have a squad that should climb the table very quickly (If AP gets tactics right).

Pardew:

I would have had him gone late November but they have stuck by him and more importantly backed him in this window with 5 reinforcements. Im still not convinced he's got it, but they have made it virtually impossible for him to now fail. Previous boards and even this one would have had him out the door and another bloke in long before now. Some will say its because he's their puppet etc etc but at the end of the day, not getting relegated will be Ashleys main concern.

We could be in the middle of mass uncertainty following Reading, the boo'ing etc but (even against what I would have wanted), they have done the right thing. (for now).

Credit where its due. (and yes last summer).

I must say hats off to the board for what's been accomplished in the last 7 days.

Yes, a few extra bodies in the summer would have prevented things being as bad as they are, but accepting that and moving on, they still deserve credit on a number of fronts.

Credit where its due. (and yes last summer).

Why no real criticism of last summer then CT?.... because what you've posted is unmitigated fuckin shit tbh, seeing as a lot of the mess this season is as a result of last summer's chronic mis management. How the fuck can you honestly say that it's impossible for Pardew to fail when you think he's spent the whole season fuckin failing???!!!! He's no time to blend the new players into the side and you personally know less then fuck all about them. And yet you're sat theyre saying Pardew can't fail with players you've never seen to be able to make a judgement on in the first place. Fuck me, I try to give you the benefit of the doubt but I swear you're on the wind up because even you cant be that stupid as to completely contradict yourself yet again. Its the same as "sack Pardew, dont ask me who to replace him with though"...how do you know if any given manager or player is any good to make the statement that things will improve?

You may say "time to move on" but posting unremitting praise of the regime has about as much point as completely annhilating them for their every move. This isnt Football Manager, anyone wanking themsleves off about the players we've signed this week needs a good look at the league table.

One of the dildo sellers at West Ham said in May 2011 that he'd thought he'd spent enough in Janauary for them to stay up. Demba Ba was one of the siginings and he got 7 goals in 12 games. Still not enough to keep them up. They signed Wayne Bridge and Thomas Hitzelsperger too, experienced international players. Still not enough. See what I mean? its very, very tricky what we're attempting here for the remainder of this season and nobody should underestimate the size of the task. So if you want to praise the board would it not be better to wait until May and see if we're still in the division? Its certainly not a foregone conclusion that we will be.