Europe --- In or Out

Christmas Tree

Europe?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The PM will tomorrow confirm that Britain WILL get an IN / OUT EU vote before the end of 2017

http://news.sky.com/...t-eu-referendum

I'm pretty confident we'd vote "in" once the actual arguments were on the table, and if not, well, I've happily lived abroad before. :)

Of course, Cameron himself most likely won't be "in" by then anyway, so it could be something of a moot point... nice way of ensuring the issue stays active and trying to force Labour's hand though.

I am in two minds about Europe. It was started with the best intentions to ensure peace in Europe by economically linking all the countries who for the previous couple of centuries took turns kicking lumps out of each other.

Politically I am not sure about its supranational status. Its democrat accountability is not great and while the commission is supposed to promote Europe to me it mainly promotes the commission.

I can't be anti Europe though cos I refuse to stand on the same side of any argument as Nigel Farage unless he is arguing for the death of Boris Johnson by horse cock.

The PM will tomorrow confirm that Britain WILL get an IN / OUT EU vote before the end of 2017

http://news.sky.com/story/1041580/cameron-to-promise-in-out-eu-referendum

As Meenzer has said, this will only happen if the Tories win an outright majority at the next election, which doesn't look likely. Also this had really shown Cameron up for the pathetic pandering spineless cunt he is. At least Thatcher, ironically, had balls.

@CT

Interesting point, you might be right but I think in green general most potential potential Labour voters don't see it as much as an issue. The Labour party isn't threatened by Ukip or extreme factions within their own parties like the conservatives are.

Fwiw I'm against referendums on any issue.

Edited by Renton

@CT

Interesting point, you might be right but I think in green general most potential potential Labour voters don't see it as much as an issue. The Labour party isn't threatened by Ukip or extreme factions within their own parties like the conservatives are.

What if it was a referendum to abolish referendums?

@CT

Problem is elections are not win by Labour voters. They are won by the middle ground folk who jump between Labour and Conservative.

I honestly don't know enough about the argument to make a cast iron choice.

I would however enjoy hearing a reasoned debate on it, however with all three parties backing the yes vote, I doubt that's going to happen.

All about party politics than the national interest, this. Appeasing euro sceptic back benchers - a big Tory minority - and not a vote winner. Recent opinion polls suggest voters are way more concerned about jobs and the economy than they are about Europe.

And the uncertainty surrounding our position on Europe until a potential vote in 2017 isn't going to help foreign investment that might help with any of that.

Cameron probably won't get what he wants out out of the treaty negotiations and could end up being forced to publicly back our withdrawal when deep down he would admit our interests are best served within the EU

once the case is made for staying the public will back us remaining in the eu.

cameron wants to make the case for staying after he has renegotiated the treaty.

the problem is if he doesn't get the changes to the treaty he wants. this is a massive gamble as he has to persuade 26 other member states that we can cherry pick.

he may well end up having to back to case for our withdrawal to keep his party happy, rather than acting in the country's best interest. he IS a european at heart, as are most sensible politicans on all sides of party politics.

the big danger is he's backed himself into a corner to keep the eurosceptic backbenchers happy and we will end up sleepwalking out of the EU.

another reason to hope he isn't re-elected with a majority.

• 3 years later...

So June 23rd it is.

I must say I've had little interest in the last few weeks as the "deal" being brokered seems very small fry.

Anyhow, I guess it's time to focus the mind (if you're interested ahead of the vote.

This is Goves piece today having come out for out.

https://t.co/iA8JgPzETj

Putting to one side those at each extreme, I thinks it going to be very hard for most people to come to a considered decision.

Reading this, can't see many who are undecided being swayed by what Cameron has got from Brussels this week...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/eu-renegotiation-what-david-cameron-wanted-and-what-he-really-got-a6885761.html

Hopefully I'll get a proxy vote as I think we're in either Cairns or Darwin round then :unsure:

Am "in", Labour have no chance of winning in 2020 iyam so as alluded to above we need something to stem the worst excesses of the Tories..

Edited by PaddockLad