Europe --- In or Out

Christmas Tree

Europe?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Was he the one that ran himself over with his own car after dropping a baked potato?

( Brian Harvey, not Terry Fuckwitt here)

:lol: Aye. It was allegedly 3 baked potatoes. I shouldn't really laugh, in case it actually was another suicide attempt, but that's just an amazing story.

The best/worst thing about this referendum campaign has been how undignified it's all been from the Tories. It's like Gove, Cameron, Osborne and Johnson have just been getting up every day and working out who can tell the biggest whopper that day.

The most depressing thing is how poorly Labour have capitalised on the whole thing.

Was saying the same thing to my lass the other day. Corbyn's every bit as anonymous as his predecessor. They should be all over this like a cheap suit.

Have to agree on that point. Labour's inaction is highly peculiar and quite disappointing. Presumably there's a strategy behind it but it's hard to see it. Maybe they're trying not to go at this too hard for fear of not hoovering up the UKIP vote after its all over.

I think I read that a narrow outcome or a leave vote will see off Cameron... I dread to think what we'd then be faced with.

Edited by Rayvin

The only thing I can think is that they're scared that the Tories could just point at them and say "Well what exactly IS your view on this?" which could reveal fractures within Labour every bit as big as those that have been exposed in the Tories. But the relative non-position that Labour are taking is exactly why they don't inspire anyone to vote for them. They seem to stand for nowt.

Aye you might be right there. Corbyn clearly has his doubts about the EU and I guess it would be easy for the Tories to come out and reference his past opposition.

On the other side here one, the Tories are in a lose lose position so maybe playing it safe isn't the worst thing if they can emerge positively in the referendum aftermath while the the government tears itself apart.

Much like the Tories did with the financial crisis I might add.

Edited by Rayvin

I think it's more likely that they'll patch up their differences very quickly and be no worse off for it, assuming it's a Remain vote. The individuals involved are too power hungry to allow it to affect their chances at the next election, so it'll all be swept under the carpet.

Their official position is Remain, but they've been barely visible/audible on it and even less so on what a clusterfuck the Tories are at the minute. There are open goals being missed on a daily basis.

Meanwhile, Farage is driving round in a big purple bus playing the Great Escape theme. [emoji38]

After talking to two market stall owners about leaving, one of them pretty much summed up the thoughts of a nation. 25 year old Amy said "I still don't know what to do. We've been in the EU all my life and the country is totally shit, so I don't know if leaving can make anything much worse." [emoji38]

This is the sort of stuff Corbyn should be doing.

Farron suggests Gove should be sacked from cabinet after EU referendum

Tim Farron, the Lib Dem leader, is suggesting that Michael Gove should be sacked from the cabinet after the referendum, and that Boris Johnson should be kept out. In a statement referring to the Vote Leave spending proposals (see 9.01am) he says:

The right wing of the Conservative party have abandoned any pretence of economic competence in order to try and force a vote for leave. Boris, Gove and co can’t be trusted on the facts, and now they are proving that they can’t be trusted with the economy either.

When the referendum is over, David Cameron will have to explain how he can justify keeping people willing to wilfully mislead people and threaten our economy in his cabinet.

I chased a geek from my door this morning who was wanting to discuss how I was going to vote. He was a leave campaigner. Can't remember anyone knocking on my door for any vote, ever.

It's almost as if it was a stupid idea to appoint him in the first place.

I think it comes down to electoral viability versus principles once again. I didn't vote him in to win an election (bizarre as that may sound, and at the risk of Renton wading in and clobbering me with a multi-post anti-Corbyn barrage), I voted him in because I didn't want to compromise my views any more.

That said, it'd be ideal if he could be electorally viable as well as allowing me to vote for my principles. And sadly, he isn't very good at making noise on the big points.