Europe --- In or Out

Christmas Tree

Europe?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think me and Stevie did that 10 years ago. I was winning comfortably (at being least cunty), then gloated and subsequently lost :lol:

I voted for you, iirc ;)

And at least I was half-cut when I suggested it

Also, that email confirms (as if we didn't know) that this is all about power and scrambling to the top. Not about what is best for the country.

It was pretty obvious anyway. I didn't expect them all to shit themselves and come out and admit it straight away though.

Aye. And you just know that Osborne has spent the weekend gagging on Boris's chopper/lapping May out to make sure his political future is secure.

That image btw :lol:

Aye. And you just know that Osborne has spent the weekend gagging on Boris's chopper/lapping May out to make sure his political future is secure.

:lol: I do worry about the state of your mind sometimes....

It must be horrible for the rare breed of MP's that go into it for all the right reasons only to find out what a snake pit it actually is.

Apparently one labour MP has said she was going to stand down at the next election because of how much bullying has gone on in the last few weeks.

Who the fuck would be an MP? Without the expenses, the salary isn't really that great compared to other professions. All this hassle from infighting and whips, chance you're out of a job every 5 years, facing a vitriolic public, and chance you may get murdered at your surgery.

I think we're going to get a worse calibre of mps in future. Honestly.

CT: a question.

What are the main worries about the Tories calling a snap election?

I mean seriously. The Labour Party is currently slaughtering itself. It either holds together and no-one believes in it, or it splits off and has no money to campaign. What's the problem?

UKIP will try and slide into that void, but former Labour voters won't vote for it, and a lot of people will see it as having served it's purpose, especially if the Article 50 button is either pressed, or has a date set for pressing by the Tory PM candidate.

I think everyone is in full agreement that Gordon Brown made a colossal mistake not calling a General Election in 2007 to validate the Labour mandate. I know so much has changed, but is it not very likely that the Tories would turn their skin of their teeth majority into a strong one?

CT: a question.

What are the main worries about the Tories calling a snap election?

I mean seriously. The Labour Party is currently slaughtering itself. It either holds together and no-one believes in it, or it splits off and has no money to campaign. What's the problem?

UKIP will try and slide into that void, but former Labour voters won't vote for it, and a lot of people will see it as having served it's purpose, especially if the Article 50 button is either pressed, or has a date set for pressing by the Tory PM candidate.

I think everyone is in full agreement that Gordon Brown made a colossal mistake not calling a General Election in 2007 to validate the Labour mandate. I know so much has changed, but is it not very likely that the Tories would turn their skin of their teeth majority into a strong one?

It's just a risk they don't need to take. And let's face it, they won't be very trusting of the electorate.

Once you get into a campaign, Farage would be standing next to a bus with some of the Tory comments about a second ref or Labours David Lammy wanting to ignore it. He'd hammer it home at every tv debate.

I think there's plenty of former labour voters who have already switched to labour and many more would jump ship.

As far as the Conservatives are concerned the win a majority mandate last year to hold a referendum and carry out the result. That's what they're doing.

Honestly, there is no upside I can see and if there is one, it doesn't outweigh the downsides.

FTSE 100 now higher that before last Friday's "crash".

5a5417333f186feb884acec7165e3f62.jpg

Why do you expect the likes of BP to start being devalued because the UK economy is fucked? The UK market is a small fraction of their business.

Why do you expect the likes of BP to start being devalued because the UK economy is fucked? The UK market is a small fraction of their business.

I don't. And if you've been following the thread this is nothing but a sideshow between me and Gloom. Hysteria that so much had been wiped off the 100, hardly a word that it's all back on, plus some.

A non issue really. (In the grand scheme of things).

I've not been following the thread entirely, but the pound, house prices, inflation and all that are obviously distinct from the FTSE 100 so I found it odd you seemed to be holding the latter up as evidence that brexit hadn't/wouldn't hit the economy.

If you weren't doing that, champion.

It's just a risk they don't need to take. And let's face it, they won't be very trusting of the electorate.

Once you get into a campaign, Farage would be standing next to a bus with some of the Tory comments about a second ref or Labours David Lammy wanting to ignore it. He'd hammer it home at every tv debate.

I think there's plenty of former labour voters who have already switched to labour and many more would jump ship.

As far as the Conservatives are concerned the win a majority mandate last year to hold a referendum and carry out the result. That's what they're doing.

Honestly, there is no upside I can see and if there is one, it doesn't outweigh the downsides.

I'm not sure how much of this I agree or disagree with. I'm thinking mostly about how out of touch I am with the middle England electorate so it's probably not for me to predict.

UKIP will try and slide into that void, but former Labour voters won't vote for it

That's the part I'm not so sure about. I think Labour could (continue to) haemorrhage votes to UKIP in its heartlands if it's not careful, especially in an election held in unusual and fractious circumstances.

Do you need someone to draw you a picture, CT?

d28fe0c454b22776f8e78463251dde38.png

Not at all. It was $1.38 in February, it's $1.33 and climbing today.

As Kruggers says...

"It’s true that the pound has fallen by a lot compared with normal daily fluctuations. But for those of us who cut our teeth on emerging-market crises, the fall isn’t that big – in fact, it’s not that big compared with British historical episodes. The pound fell by a third during the 70s crisis; it fell by a quarter during Britain’s exit from the Exchange Rate Mechanism in 1992; it’s down about 8 percent as I write this".

All I asked for was some perspective on the markets. :)

Perspective is it's at it's lowest since 2008 and any improvement in the economy since then (you've been keen to praise the Tories for), any pain endured in 8 years of austerity, has all been for nought. It's bizarre that you've spent so many years defending what tiny growth there has been but are now so blase about it getting wiped out in one day.