Europe --- In or Out

Christmas Tree

Europe?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We are looking at moving abroad within the next near or so, probably somewhere within the eurozone, so this fall in the pound is a right fucking kick in the knackers for me. From a purely selfish point of view I hope it picks up again soon  

There will be no hard Brexit.

We'll see. I was reading somewhere that about a quarter of leavers want ALL EU nationals deported immediately. Be interesting to see how May will balance the need of industry and finance against the increasingly xenophobic masses. Putting Fox and Davis in charge may be a clue though.

I find that Davis a bit strange - when he ran for the leadership and also when he was opposing labour's id card, he seemed to be a bit of a Kenneth Clarke type "semi-decent" tory. Now he's come back for this gig he's more like a typical anti-eu, nasty typical cunt.

We'll see. I was reading somewhere that about a quarter of leavers want ALL EU nationals deported immediately. Be interesting to see how May will balance the need of industry and finance against the increasingly xenophobic masses. Putting Fox and Davis in charge may be a clue though.

The vast maj of the Tories love the EU.

EU nationals in the UK is about 3% - 90% of whom are working and contributing to the economy.

It being the first conference after the vote the Tories have and eye on Ukip and the Brexit vote and the speeches were tailored to this. Over the next 3 years a lot of this momentum will dissipate as various small shocks (like the pound) will make the flock nervous.

The appetite for hard Brexit will be a distant memory.

We'll get free trade within the single market and there will be some technical compromise around immigration (maybe the A8 - 7 years block we never activated under Blair). We will activate the rules Germany and Norway have with reg to EU citizens claiming (Germany was taken to ECHR remember) 3 months no job kicked out etc...The biggest draw has been free healthcare and tax credits - this could be amended as well and all withing EU law.

The EU will still be getting our money as France and Germany won't want to pick up the shortfall or lose their trade with us.

The pound will jump back up.

Brexit happened because ALL our politicians kept it secret that they were relying on immigration to bolster the economy and all that stuff they said about bringing it down were lies.

Edited by Park Life

It being the first conference after the vote the Tories have and eye on Ukip and the Brexit vote and the speeches were tailored to this. Over the next 3 years a lot of this momentum will dissipate as various small shocks (like the pound) will make the flock nervous.

The appetite for hard Brexit will be a distant memory.

Brexit is due to happen in March 2019. Just over a year until the next GE. If hard Brexit isn't delivered then UKIP will have a year of pounding the Tories for not delivering what the little Englanders voted for and voter anger means UKIP votes.

Parky looking like Trumptastic with ewerk's fact checking.

He remains right about hard Brexit though. Not happening.

i'm inclined to agree, but why has she appointed all these old dinosaurs like fox and davis? is it simply a face saving exercise with the knobbers who voted to leave? 

The referendum proved that politics trumps economics, even shit politics. The rhetoric for hard Brexit is increasing daily, with powerful counter rhetoric coming from across the channel, especially France. The elite (christ I hate that term) might not want hard Brexit but it feels inevitable to me now.

Edited by Renton

The referendum proved that politics trumps economics, even shut politics. The rhetoric for hard Brexit is increasing daily, with powerful counter rhetoric coming from across the channel, especially France. The elite (christ I hate that term) might not want hard Brexit but it feels inevitable to me now.

They won't allow it.

3% are long term the other 2% come and go. Either way the numbers aren't big.

1 in 20 is an immigrant. That's fairly significant. Plus if you add in the home born non-whites that the middle class have an inate fear of then we are a country sinking under the weight of immigration.

Or at least that's how it seems to the Brexiters.

I dunno, maybe they're trusted allies, maybe so she can retire them when they fail to get hard. I can't second guess the angel of death.

it wouldn't surprise me if she fails to make them hard 

Brexit is due to happen in March 2019. Just over a year until the next GE. If hard Brexit isn't delivered then UKIP will have a year of pounding the Tories for not delivering what the little Englanders voted for and voter anger means UKIP votes.

Yeah agree this will be the main battleground. It's why the Tories are busy rebranding as 'the workers party'. :lol:

They won't allow it.

Who won't? We're living in an age where economic, facts and rationale are trumped by unfounded emotion. This is going to be one of those situations where the Tories choose politics over economics in the hope of staying in power at any cost. 

If we were common sense had prevailed during the referendum then we would have voted to stay in. That didn't happen and I have no reason to believe that it will happen now when Brexit is being negotiated.