Europe --- In or Out

Christmas Tree

Europe?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

He might have a chance of getting his message across if he wasn't too arrogant to recognise that, by embracing neo-liberalism, he's one of the big reasons we arrived here. I don't think I can ever recall him admitting to being in the wrong on any major issue

He might have a chance of getting his message across if he wasn't too arrogant to recognise that, by embracing neo-liberalism, he's one of the big reasons we arrived here. I don't think I can ever recall him admitting to being in the wrong on any major issue

The poster child for psychosis.

That's the thing. There's nothing fundamentally wrong with what he says here:

CyB6zRdXEAAnNa1.jpg

...but would you trust a toxic brand like his to define "just and fair" in a way that's actually useful to our current problems? :dunno:

It also wasn't driven by 'the people'. It was driven by 'a select few people'.

But anyway, otherwise I grudgingly agree with him - especially concerning where the far left and far right meet, that's a really curious phenomenon. Globalisation is irreversible and the duty of the left to fix it so that the benefits are spread more evenly. The centre-left can't - it "tried" and failed. The left could. Either way, someone needs to come up with an answer and I don't even mind if that person is Blair as long as the solution makes sense.

Edited by Rayvin

Globalization hasn't been driven by people at all...It's the de- facto elite project to facilitate multi-nationals and neuter state intervention in any meaningful way.

edit: Like Rayvin says in the first bit. :)

Edited by Park Life

It also wasn't driven by 'the people'. It was driven by 'a select few people'.

But anyway, otherwise I grudgingly agree with him - especially concerning where the far left and far right meet, that's a really curious phenomenon. Globalisation is irreversible and the duty of the left to fix it so that the benefits are spread more evenly. The centre-left can't - it "tried" and failed. The left could. Either way, someone needs to come up with an answer and I don't even mind if that person is Blair as long as the solution makes sense.

It has hit a brick wall. People are waking up to the fact that the suffering is endless with no end in sight.

It has hit a brick wall. People are waking up to the fact that the suffering is endless with no end in sight.

That's quite possibly the reality of the situation but I still have hope that someone will come up with something.

That's quite possibly the reality of the situation but I still have hope that someone will come up with something.

Strangely the EU could have worked imo. The original idea was a good one...Spreading wealth and infastructure and regulating against parasitic Capitalism. Somewhere in the last 20 years it got co-opted by the very things it was set up to mitigate.

Good articles into the German scenario.

"Germany is often seen as the most powerful example of a distinctive European economic model, its workers insulated from the worst pressures of globalisation by collective bargaining, union consultation and norms of social solidarity. A new study of income distribution in Germany from 1992 to 2001 suggests that, at least as far as financial rewards are concerned, there are close parallels with Anglo-Saxon capitalism."

http://voxeu.org/epubs/cepr-reports/das-kapital-how-german-elite-are-winning-globalisation

"These companies thrived in the decades immediately after 1945, when the economy boomed as a result of the need to rebuild a war-ravaged country. Whereas UK companies were often hindered by an overvalued pound, the mark was undervalued, making German exports extremely competitive in world markets.

Another part of the story involves the structure of German industry. The emphasis on vocational education combining academic studies and on-the-job training for apprentices is globally admired. German companies are also the beneficiaries of close links between industry and the banking sector that ensure guaranteed long-term funding."

https://www.theguardian.com/global/2016/mar/30/the-uk-could-learn-a-lot-from-germanys-long-term-industrial-strategy

Edited by Park Life

Lobbyists and Corporate influence.

Lobbying is a billion-euro industry in Brussels. According to Corporate Europe Observatory, a watchdog campaigning for greater transparency, there are at least 30,000 lobbyists in Brussels, nearly matching the 31,000 staff employed by the European commission and making it second only to Washington in the concentration of those seeking to affect legislation. Lobbyists sign a transparency register run by the parliament and the commission, though it is not mandatory.."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/may/08/lobbyists-european-parliament-brussels-corporate

Edited by Park Life

Lobbyists and Corporate influence.

Lobbying is a billion-euro industry in Brussels. According to Corporate Europe Observatory, a watchdog campaigning for greater transparency, there are at least 30,000 lobbyists in Brussels, nearly matching the 31,000 staff employed by the European commission and making it second only to Washington in the concentration of those seeking to affect legislation. Lobbyists sign a transparency register run by the parliament and the commission, though it is not mandatory.."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/may/08/lobbyists-european-parliament-brussels-corporate

I might be on that list.  :ninja: