Europe --- In or Out

Christmas Tree

Europe?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Quite possibly. If Sturgeon manages to prevent Article 50 being triggered (I'd say that this is a remote chance at best, as No. 10 will just ride roughshod over her if it has to) then I could see the union falling apart as London looks to fulfil Brexit by jettisoning Scotland.

Although that said, is there really a mandate or the political will for anything approaching the amount of turbulence that would happen were all this to come to pass?

If Scotland wins then Brexit can't happen as Article 50 states that withdrawal has to happen in accordance with the country's constitutional process which clearly would not be the case.

Also, it's unlikely that Westminster can simply jettison Scotland. Though I'm sure most of the Scottish wouldn't mind too much if it meant leaving without taking their share of the national debt.

If Scotland wins then Brexit can't happen as Article 50 states that withdrawal has to happen in accordance with the country's constitutional process which clearly would not be the case.

Also, it's unlikely that Westminster can simply jettison Scotland. Though I'm sure most of the Scottish wouldn't mind too much if it meant leaving without taking their share of the national debt.

That's probably why it wouldn't happen.

Besides anything else like, if Sturgeon does block it then trying to get it through will probably take the rest of our lives, however they decide to do it. Let's hope she's successful. Seems to have more about her than Mayhem anyway.

TM:

“There is something in terms of faith, I am a practising member of the Church of England and so forth, that lies behind what I do.”

“If you know you are doing the right thing, you have the confidence, the energy to go and deliver that right message.”

Aside from the standard point about how concerning it is for 'religious faith' to guide decision making, she could not look less energetic and confident if she tried.

I have a question that I've been mulling over for a while for some of the older members on here I guess - I was first politically conscious during the Blair years, and while I don't agree with a lot of what he achieved, I think it's impossible to consider him as anything other than a very capable politician and a statesman. Brown was not quite as strong for me, but still good.

Since then, we've had people leading the parties who looks worlds away from the same level of capabilities (both Tories and Labour) on those fronts. Was Blair a one off or has our political class been bottomed out?

If he stopped forcing himself into the papers, no one would even give a fuck about him.

I would imagine it's total fucking bollocks and a excuse for him to move to the US without been seen as the rat deserting the sinking ship.

Aside from the standard point about how concerning it is for 'religious faith' to guide decision making, she could not look less energetic and confident if she tried.

I have a question that I've been mulling over for a while for some of the older members on here I guess - I was first politically conscious during the Blair years, and while I don't agree with a lot of what he achieved, I think it's impossible to consider him as anything other than a very capable politician and a statesman. Brown was not quite as strong for me, but still good.

Since then, we've had people leading the parties who looks worlds away from the same level of capabilities (both Tories and Labour) on those fronts. Was Blair a one off or has our political class been bottomed out?

If you look at most world leaders they tend to come across as nobodies - possibly Obama and to a certain extent Merkel aside, they're all pretty bland.

I agree Blair had presence and its a shame there's nobody inspiring on the horizon as has been mentioned regarding Corbyn.

The Labour Party on Monday refused to say whether it believes MPs should be given a vote on taking Britain out of the European Union.

As the government begins its Supreme Court appeal against a parliamentary vote on triggering Article 50, Shadow Home Secretary Diane Abbott told Sky News that Labour was not supporting either side of the argument.

“We’re not on any side,” she said.

“We respect the referendum vote and we will not seek to reverse it."

Asked what Labour’s view was on the landmark case, she replied:

“We don’t take a view. We are just saying what we will do if it does go to Parliament. We will just try to act in the interests of the British people.”

That's good. It's certainly not the sort of thing that you'd want the official opposition having an opinion on.

I thought the Lib Dems were going to swoop in and save the day though? That's what I've been reading over the past week anyway.

I'm rather disappointed by that Labour position I have to say, but maybe the view is that they shouldn't reveal their hand before the Tories have done so. They'll have set this out with one eye on the working classes and the other on the middle classes. They're in a tough position generally.

I thought the Lib Dems were going to swoop in and save the day though? That's what I've been reading over the past week anyway.

I'm rather disappointed by that Labour position I have to say, but maybe the view is that they shouldn't reveal their hand before the Tories have done so. They'll have set this out with one eye on the working classes and the other on the middle classes. They're in a tough position generally.

Tbh I no longer believe they are that competent.