Europe --- In or Out

Christmas Tree

Europe?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 minutes ago, Park Life said:

ha ha Of course you're right on the money. China has been designated to take over once America is completely spent.

I am a regular reader of FutureTimeline in a desperate attempt to convince myself that they'll reverse the aging process right as I'm about to pack in so I can Benjamin Button my way through some future tarts.

I'm not into conspiracy theories, and not sure this counts. Why is May trying to set the Brexit date in statute, surely knowing it further limits our options? Could it be anything to do with the EU tax avoidance directive, due to come in January 2019? This would make the proposed Brexit date the last day the UK can avoid implementing it (taking into account financial years). Honestly, it fucking stinks. 

https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/business/company-tax/anti-tax-avoidance-package/anti-tax-avoidance-directive_en

Edited by Renton

A hypocritical Tory, surely not? :lol:

As for leavers needing to be fooled into believing there's progress, they seem happy enough with how things are going so far:

DO0K7ufWsAAfCfu.thumb.jpg.8b290ec18cb2f601d139cb4aa0daa4ce.jpg

At least the one piece of very tangible evidence - more expensive food shopping - seems to be starting to hit home. Good on them for being determined not to talk Britain down though.

1 hour ago, Meenzer said:

:lol: Fucking Germans, coming over here staying over there with their basic logic and scrutiny.

This as well. Davis even bizarrely claimed that Brexit might mean we trade even closer together than previously. WTF? He's on another planet. 

I reckon he imagines he's following the Trump playbook. Just say what comes into your head, with the maximum confidence, and act like reality and consequences don't matter to you. It worked for Trump, bigly, so it'll really work for a clever chap like him.

"Home Office officials have privately admitted the department is having problems increasing its immigration staffing levels as part of its Brexit preparations and may have to recruit Polish and other eastern Europeans to help register the 3 million EU nationals in Britain".

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/nov/19/home-office-admits-its-struggling-to-recruit-staff-to-register-eu-nationals

:lol:

extreme-ironing.jpg

Amsterdam won the EMA which I suspected, clearly the best place for drugs. ^_^

Paris won the the EBA on lots! :icon_lol:

Honestly, how depressing is this process going to be. Shedding hundreds of professional jobs and related ancillary employment, not to mention huge prestige, for what? Honestly, we had a great pharmaceutical industry here which is under huge threat now. We'll have to either recreate a UK regulatory body, which will cost a fortune because of loss of economies of scale. Or we could base future regulation on the EMA or even FDA depending what pans out. That is, become a rule taker to a third party. Really taking back control. :rolleyes:

And whatever people think about banking, now it's been confirmed we will lose passporting it means billions less tax take and more cuts to public services.

I'd like to say to the likes of CT, fuck you, you idiots. This is on you. 

What an utter shambles this is.

They've spent months and months arguing over the divorce bill only for the Cabinet Brexit committee to decide with just over a week to go to actually pay what is due.

Meanwhile there has been very little discussion over the massive sticking point of the Irish border, one of the three areas on which there must be agreement before trade talks can proceed. Theresa May rates this issue so highly that the Secretary of State for NI isn't even part of the Cabinet Brexit committee. Meanwhile our esteemed press is doing its best to piss off the leader of the UK's biggest European ally.

274493_60_news_hub_multi_630x0.JPG

The divorce bill is easy to settle. It just means throwing money at the situation. The rights of EU citizens was always going to be guaranteed. But as of yet I have not heard a single realistic solution for the Irish border from any EU or government official, leaver, remainer or political pundit.

I thought there was growing acknowledgement that it would have to be a hard border. I appreciate that this is no solution at all in pragmatic terms, but I struggle to see what else they can do.

There cannot and will not be a hard border in Northern Ireland. The likes of Gove and Johnson mightn't give a shit but if it is proposed by the UK government then the Irish will veto any UK trade deal.