Europe --- In or Out

Christmas Tree

Europe?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

10 minutes ago, Renton said:

NI won't get this in the present parliament. It would undoubtedly lead to a unified Ireland in time which the unionists will NEVER accept.

I'll be honest though, I'm confused at what the state of play is.

We'll get this in March 2019 if everything goes to plan. Whether the Tories will survive until then though is another matter.

I'd concur that in one way or another NI will stay in the SM or EEA. I just hope it's the way in which we all will. 

If somehow DUP are bribed/placated (extremely unlikely imo) then Scotland have a completely legitimate right to expect the same. A hard border at Berwick would be a fucking disaster for the NE. 

Edited by Renton

11 minutes ago, Renton said:

If somehow DUP are bribed/placated (extremely unlikely imo) then Scotland have a completely legitimate right to expect the same.

We're due to hear from Arlene in the next five minutes. 

GrandJovialChanticleer-max-1mb.gif

Think you guys are hoping for too much...

EDIT - although I note Sturgeon has made her bid for Scotland to stay in.

The thing is, I just don't see the Tories blindly walking into this without a plan.

Edited by Rayvin

8 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Think you guys are hoping for too much...

EDIT - although I note Sturgeon has made her bid for Scotland to stay in.

The thing is, I just don't see the Tories blindly walking into this without a plan.

Arlene took a shit in Theresa's lap.

Basically said it ain't happening. The Tories don't need the DUPs vote to get the deal through parliament but they do need them for other matters.

Just now, ewerk said:

Arlene took a shit in Theresa's lap.

Basically said it ain't happening. The Tories don't need the DUPs vote to get the deal through parliament but they do need them for other matters.

Unless they agree a deal with the EU that, for all intents and purposes, looks like the Single Market and Customs Union, just under another name.

That's the plan, I'm increasingly sure of it. Whether such a thing is remotely possible, is what the government's viability will hinge on.

Just now, ewerk said:

I can't see the ECJ jurisdiction flying with the leave brigade.

If they can get the narrative right, who knows. People are so desperate to be proven 'right' about Brexit, that enough fuckwits might swallow it just so that they don't have to admit their stupidity.

It's a shambles. Looks like May has unilaterally agreed this with the Irish without consulting either her cabinet or the DUP. The DUP won't accept regulatory divergence with the UK and her cabinet/wider party won't accept regulatory alignment with the EU. 

So this is just a stupid PR exercise that's doomed to fail. 

7 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

So this is just a stupid PR exercise that's doomed to fail. 

Any trade deal hinges on the UK keeping their assurances that they've given the EU. If they pull this then the whole thing comes down.

42 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Unless they agree a deal with the EU that, for all intents and purposes, looks like the Single Market and Customs Union, just under another name.

That's the plan, I'm increasingly sure of it. Whether such a thing is remotely possible, is what the government's viability will hinge on.

Actually, aye, this is what will happen. You can thank us later.

Actually, there are some commentators claiming that this is what has happened, with help from the EU.

Can't link it easily because I don't use Twitter, but this guy basically:

https://twitter.com/bopanc?ref_src=twsrc^tfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theguardian.com%2Fpolitics%2Fblog%2Flive%2F2017%2Fdec%2F04%2Ftheresa-may-heads-to-brussels-hoping-to-conclude-phase-one-of-brexit-talks-politics-live

Edited by Rayvin

This is kinda what I mean though, everything that has happened so far will have been well fucking anticipated by the Tories. Let's not start celebrating until they're actually caught off guard.