Europe --- In or Out

Christmas Tree

Europe?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I reckon CT must be one of the poorest paid on here knowing how much Taxi drivers are feeling the pinch. They also don't get wage rises as often or by as much as the rest of the private sector so he will be feeling this worse than most. And yet he absolutely glorifies in it like a pig rolling in its own shit.

2 minutes ago, Renton said:

It's incredibly hard to make economic forecasts based on fairly nebulous concepts such as consumer and industry confidence. The forecasts were right in that our growth has stalled compared with every bugger else, but wrong as to the extent (as in we didn't enter a technical recession). Carney explains why if you bother to read his full speech.

But once we know the final Brexit deal, we will have much more tangible and measurable inputs with which to inform economic modelling. All the models, with the exception of the Minfordian dystopian model, show that we will be worse off in all scenarios. And the NE the worst off of all (as we have a surplus with the EU). Just dismissing this as project fear is beyond pathetic. You should be concerned, for your family if not yourself. 

We survived the Labour crash. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

:lol:

I'm thankful I'm not as informed enough about Brexit's machinations to be involved in this, because it looks deeply irritating.

It fucking is! :icon_lol:

Like scratching an incredibly itchy pus filled scab until it bleeds and hurts.

It's not just CT tbf. The whole of politics and the MSM are oblivious to the basic facts of the matter. We've spent weeks arguing over 2 CU propositions which won't be accepted by the EU and neither of which address the problems at hand. We're only 10 months from exit now ffs! :o

1 hour ago, Christmas Tree said:

Perfectly highlights we were right to dismiss claims of an immediate recession and just think how good the boom is going to be when we are out and the deals done, just in time for the general election.

Brexit sorted, booming economy, NHS long term deal agreed, wages growing, record employment and Ruth Davidson v Corbyn :lol:

Brexit sorted and booming economy :lol:

8 minutes ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

I reckon CT must be one of the poorest paid on here knowing how much Taxi drivers are feeling the pinch. They also don't get wage rises as often or by as much as the rest of the private sector so he will be feeling this worse than most. And yet he absolutely glorifies in it like a pig rolling in its own shit.

Aye, I think it's why he posts less, he's on constant OT. Not good for the blood pressure! 

14 minutes ago, Renton said:

Aye, I think it's why he posts less, he's on constant OT. Not good for the blood pressure! 

It's what he voted for

29 minutes ago, Renton said:

The taxi driver thing though - the drivers I speak to regularly complain about an over supply of labour in the market now, especially since the council recently got rid of the 'locality test' thing that I suppose previously would have meant that low skilled foreign workers couldn't just come in and start immediately. The advent of the GPS system and the free supply of labour do genuinely appear to have hit the taxi drivers hard - for the maximisation of profits at the top, I guess.

So, in fairness to CT, he probably does have a reason to want FOM to stop over and above the rest of us. £900 worse off a year probably doesn't compare to the drop in income he has experienced in real earnings over the past 10 years or so.

However, I would argue that the more obvious problem is actually the council, who by dropping locality tests have effectively removed any concept of 'skill' from the work.

This is the free market though, and it is Tory economic policy 101. Also, I'm mindful of the fact I'm just putting words in his mouth here, his experience may well have been different - but I could understand this point, were he to ever make it, as a reason for voting out.

Edited by Rayvin

4 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

The taxi driver thing though - the drivers I speak to regularly complain about an over supply of labour in the market now, especially since the council recently got rid of the 'locality test' thing that I suppose previously would have meant that low skilled foreign workers couldn't just come in and start immediately. The advent of the GPS system and the free supply of labour do genuinely appear to have hit the taxi drivers hard - for the maximisation of profits at the top, I guess.

So, in fairness to CT, he probably does have a reason to want FOM to stop over and above the rest of us. £900 worse off a year probably doesn't compare to the drop in income he has experienced in real earnings over the past 10 years or so.

However, I would argue that the more obvious problem is actually the council, who by dropping locality tests have effectively removed any concept of 'skill' from the work.

This is the free market though, and it is Tory economic policy 101. Also, I'm mindful of the fact I'm just putting words in his mouth here, his experience may well have been different - but I could understand this point, were he to ever make it, as a reason for voting out.

Most immigrant Taxi drivers I have met all over the country have not come from the EU though.

1 minute ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

Most immigrant Taxi drivers I have met all over the country have not come from the EU though.

Fair point, and I guess one of the key fallacies of the vote leave campaign - unless these people are moving to Europe and then on to the UK under FOM. I don't really know where our immigration primarily comes from in truth, but I would imagine that the ignorance around the issue would be a source of leave voting.

3 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Fair point, and I guess one of the key fallacies of the vote leave campaign - unless these people are moving to Europe and then on to the UK under FOM. I don't really know where our immigration primarily comes from in truth, but I would imagine that the ignorance around the issue would be a source of leave voting.

We're not part of Schengen so this wouldn't effect us if they could however FOM is only for EU citizens.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Before your time, but CT did actually claim he could earn 70k a year driving a minicab without working ridiculous hours. A polish correction to that market must surely be welcome.

Of course, it could have been a bull shit claim, as he later claimed he was officially in poverty. Maybe due to an influx of polish cabbies?

But then again, it's completely unlike CT to make anything up isn't it? :scratchchin:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Renton said:

Before your time, but CT did actually claim he could earn 70k a year driving a minicab without working ridiculous hours. A polish correction to that market must surely be welcome.

Of course, it could have been a bull shit claim, as he later claimed he was officially in poverty. Maybe due to an influx of polish cabbies?

But then again, it's completely unlike CT to make anything up isn't it? :scratchchin:

I get what you're saying, but say it's true - He's probably lost many thousands to immigration (albeit not necessarily EU immigration). So £900 for Brexit, in his case alone, may be a price worth paying.

Given his penchant for anecdotal evidence about EU workers taking local jobs you'd think he'd have mentioned it if that were the case

10 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I get what you're saying, but say it's true - He's probably lost many thousands to immigration (albeit not necessarily EU immigration). So £900 for Brexit, in his case alone, may be a price worth paying.

:icon_lol: Hadaway and shite man.

2 minutes ago, Alex said:

Given his penchant for anecdotal evidence about EU workers taking local jobs you'd think he'd have mentioned it if that were the case

He's repeatedly stated it's not about immigration, whilst hoying in anecdotes about immigration. 

Just now, Renton said:

He's repeatedly stated it's not about immigration, whilst hoying in anecdotes about immigration. 

Some of his best friends are black

Not now or never have I ever had any problem with immigration or freedom of movement. I do however, as discussed many times on here, think it has had an impact on wages for a lot of people. I wouldn’t be fussed if FOM continues, however I do think it’s more fair and sensible that we control our own immigration. That way we could be a lot more generous with refugees and more pinpointed in the skills we want to come here.

As for taxi’ing, it can be a very well paid job IF you want to work the “unsociable” hours such as weekends or evenings. It really depends how much money you want or need.

Im fairly lucky in that I have a home virtually mortgage free, no debt and a fairly laid back inexpensive lifestyle. I work enough hours to get by.

What it lacks in big bucks as a career it oozes a very family friendly existence.

I choose when I want to work.

If I can’t be bothered I stop off.

If I fancy taking the kids to school I can.

If a child’s off sick, no problem.

If the whether nice and I want to do something, I do it.

I have no boss, no office politics and when I do work I’m usually home by 2pm

And the job security is pretty good.

All of the above makes life very stress free and is no doubt why I’m such a happy go lucky, optimistic chap.

The downsides are things like no sick pay or paid holidays.

It’s not for everyone but.

11 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

Not now or never have I ever had any problem with immigration or freedom of movement. I do however, as discussed many times on here, think it has had an impact on wages for a lot of people. I wouldn’t be fussed if FOM continues, however I do think it’s more fair and sensible that we control our own immigration. That way we could be a lot more generous with refugees and more pinpointed in the skills we want to come here.

As for taxi’ing, it can be a very well paid job IF you want to work the “unsociable” hours such as weekends or evenings. It really depends how much money you want or need.

Im fairly lucky in that I have a home virtually mortgage free, no debt and a fairly laid back inexpensive lifestyle. I work enough hours to get by.

What it lacks in big bucks as a career it oozes a very family friendly existence.

I choose when I want to work.

If I can’t be bothered I stop off.

If I fancy taking the kids to school I can.

If a child’s off sick, no problem.

If the whether nice and I want to do something, I do it.

I have no boss, no office politics and when I do work I’m usually home by 2pm

And the job security is pretty good.

All of the above makes life very stress free and is no doubt why I’m such a happy go lucky, optimistic chap.

The downsides are things like no sick pay or paid holidays.

It’s not for everyone but.

Wasn't criticising the job tbf mate, was actually just putting forward the views some of your fellow cabbies have articulated to me in the past two years.