Europe --- In or Out

Christmas Tree

Europe?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

i think they give brexiteers too much of a platform - the amount we had to endure farage on QT in the buildup to the brexit vote didn't help matters  - but i don't believe the bbc reports inaccurately or have an agenda. their mission is to be balanced. both sides of the political spectrum criticises for favouring the opposition, which suggests to me they're doing their job properly and that they get it right more often than not. 

Edited by Dr Gloom

2 minutes ago, Renton said:

Every single newspaper. Guardian least bad perhaps. But it's mainly the BBC. I know you don't work for them but thought you might have some insight into their recent decline. I'm talking the website, the news, and all their political programmes including QT. They're a fucking joke. 

My gripe with them is the amount of shite they let go unchallenged during interviews. The problem seems to be that the interviewers aren't nearly educated enough to hold the politicians to account.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Renton said:

Every single newspaper. Guardian least bad perhaps. But it's mainly the BBC. I know you don't work for them but thought you might have some insight into their recent decline. I'm talking the website, the news, and all their political programmes including QT. They're a fucking joke. 

The BBC's Scottish political editor is the daughter of the ex Labour Leader John Smith.

You can imagine how unbiased she is.

26 minutes ago, ewerk said:

My gripe with them is the amount of shite they let go unchallenged during interviews. The problem seems to be that the interviewers aren't nearly educated enough to hold the politicians to account.

You should watch Andrew Neil on the Daily politics. Knows his stuff and takes no prisoners. Problem is that the top politicians just avoid him. Emma Barnett was excellent filling in for Marr last week.

Peston is hopeless.

Problem for most interviewers (apart from not being as good as Neil), is that most of the stuff that hits the News are very time limited slots and the politicians can easily play down the clock with a few vague answers.

19 hours ago, Renton said:

And here's another graphic CT might just understand. This is the EEA EFTA model a la Norway. What's not to like? Care to say CT?

eea_eu_comparison.jpg

I think it’s a pretty decent backstop if we can’t get better.

1 minute ago, Christmas Tree said:

You should watch Andrew Neil on the Daily politics. Knows his stuff and takes no prisoners. Problem is that the top politicians just avoid him. Emma Barnett was excellent filling in for Marr last week.

Peston is hopeless.

Problem for most interviewers (apart from not being as good as Neil), is that most of the stuff that hits the News are very time limited slots and the politicians can easily play down the clock with a few vague answers.

Neil isn't the worst but is not well informed enough, and is a dyed in the wool Tory, like you.

Marr and Peyton are fucking hopeless. Humphries is the worst of the lot though, a blatant brexiter who is thick as pig shit. Also like you then. 

31 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

i think they give brexiteers too much of a platform - the amount we had to endure farage on QT in the buildup to the brexit vote didn't help matters  - but i don't believe the bbc reports inaccurately or have an agenda. their mission is to be balanced. both sides of the political spectrum criticises for favouring the opposition, which suggests to me they're doing their job properly and that they get it right more often than not. 

The BBC's idea of balance is to let anyone tell basic lies and spout manipulative propaganda without properly challenging them. That's the fuckin trouble. They don't demand evidence or facts. They let cunts talk shit.  For example from only last night...

Ive only seen this version and it's heavily edited and I'm not sure what analysis came after it. Suffice to say Maitlis didn't land a blow of any kind. The Northern Irish journo who nailed JRM the other day did a better job. Then there's this from the Indy website. Look at the fuckin headline man :jesuswept:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/martin-luther-king-proud-donald-trump-black-unemployment-steve-bannon-a8366436.html

2 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

The BBC's idea of balance is to let anyone tell basic lies and spout manipulative propaganda without properly challenging them. That's the fuckin trouble. They don't demand evidence or facts. They let cunts talk shit.  For example from only last night...

Ive only seen this version and it's heavily edited and I'm not sure what analysis came after it. Suffice to say Maitlis didn't land a blow of any kind. The Northern Irish journo who nailed JRM the other day did a better job. Then there's this from the Indy website. Look at the fuckin headline man :jesuswept:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/martin-luther-king-proud-donald-trump-black-unemployment-steve-bannon-a8366436.html

what's wrong with the indy headline? it's clearly reporting a statement from bannon. 

i didn't see the newsnight interview. bannon, in my view, is an appalling human being but does that mean he shouldn't be given a platform? i think he should be, and it's the media's job to then properly scrutinise what he says. 

12 minutes ago, Renton said:

Neil isn't the worst but is not well informed enough, and is a dyed in the wool Tory, like you.

Marr and Peyton are fucking hopeless. Humphries is the worst of the lot though, a blatant brexiter who is thick as pig shit. Also like you then. 

i like brillo and marr - they give both sides a grilling, regardless of their well known political persuasions, as all good journalists do.  

The centre itself now losing faith in the MSM apparently.

I actually do have some sympathy with the BBC on the grounds that they are, presumably, attempting to demonstrate a lack of bias at a time where a Tory government whose future hinges entirely on Brexit is presumably quite ready and willing to put them under tighter and tighter scrutiny.

But being sympathetic with them doesn't mean I trust them.

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

what's wrong with the indy headline? it's clearly reporting a statement from bannon. 

i didn't see the newsnight interview. bannon, in my view, is an appalling human being but does that mean he shouldn't be given a platform? i think he should be, and it's the media's job to then properly scrutinise what he says. 

The headlne panders to the sort of bigots who voted with great enthusiasm for Trump and Farage. It's an attempt to garner hits to make money, but It just reinforces their twisted beliefs when they see this fuckin facist used to create income and get off scot free from our national broadcaster.  The media in general hide behind the notion of freedom of speech without taking any responsibility for giving extrernists a platform. The media need to start looking at themselves iyam. 

1 minute ago, PaddockLad said:

The headlne panders to the sort of bigots who voted with great enthusiasm for Trump and Farage. It's an attempt to garner hits to make money, but It just reinforces their twisted beliefs when they see this fuckin facist used to create income and get off scot free from our national broadcaster.  The media in general hide behind the notion of freedom of speech without taking any responsibility for giving extrernists a platform. The media need to start looking at themselves iyam. 

why is it reinforcing it? it's reporting what bannon said. is it better to stick our fingers in our ears and pretend a former white house chief strategist isn't saying this outlandish shit?

the job of the media is to report facts, as the indy did, then add analysis and commentary, as the WP does here

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2018/05/23/steve-bannon-thinks-martin-luther-king-jr-would-be-proud-of-donald-trump/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.2a907bc05537

10 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

why is it reinforcing it? it's reporting what bannon said. is it better to stick our fingers in our ears and pretend a former white house chief strategist isn't saying this outlandish shit?

the job of the media is to report facts, as the indy did, then add analysis and commentary, as the WP does here

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2018/05/23/steve-bannon-thinks-martin-luther-king-jr-would-be-proud-of-donald-trump/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.2a907bc05537

Have to say I agree that all these ideas should be pushed out into the open for public scrutiny. Having said that PL is right that these guys don't get nearly enough pressure when they're on these shows. Maybe because if that pressure existed, they wouldn't do them at all though. Perhaps it's better to unleash the hounds after the event.

2 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Try a major uk outlet. Perhaps your own? 

The Indy piece isn't opinion, it's pandering to bigots to make money. 

17 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I was talking about Renton ;)

The BBC has changed. Why didn't it report the Roberts speech I linked. There's literally nobody better qualified to highlight the problems with Brexit and they completely ignored it.

2 minutes ago, Renton said:

The BBC has changed. Why didn't it report the Roberts speech I linked. There's literally nobody better qualified to highlight the problems with Brexit and they completely ignored it.

Yeah, seriously, this will be because of government pressure. If they go all out on Brexit then the Tories and the Brexiteer public will savage it.

It is a state owned news channel, as much as we like to think it is untouchable.

4 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Try a major uk outlet. Perhaps your own? 

The Indy piece isn't opinion, it's pandering to bigots to make money. 

the WP was the first piece of analysis of the interview i could find, so i linked to it. i thought we were criticising the dreaded MSM for a collective failure here, not just UK outlets. 

the indy piece reports what was said in an interview, of course it isn't opinion. what would be a better headline then? do you genuinely believe the indy's editors are trying to profit by pandering to bigots? howay man - it's a factual headline, entirely appropriate for a news piece. your headline is the top line, whether it's controversial or not. 

you could go with something mundane like bannon speaks to newsnight   - but it isn't telling you what he said. first rule of writing headlines: catch the reader's eye by selling the story with its most newsworthy piece of information. 

19 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

the WP was the first piece of analysis of the interview i could find, so i linked to it. i thought we were criticising the dreaded MSM for a collective failure here, not just UK outlets. 

the indy piece reports what was said in an interview, of course it isn't opinion. what would be a better headline then? do you genuinely believe the indy's editors are trying to profit by pandering to bigots? howay man - it's a factual headline, entirely appropriate for a news piece. your headline is the top line, whether it's controversial or not. 

you could go with something mundane like bannon speaks to newsnight   - but it isn't telling you what he said. first rule of writing headlines: catch the reader's eye by selling the story with its most newsworthy piece of information. 

I know what they did, why they did it and how they justify it. Id just like them to stop it. Yes, am shooting the messenger, because the message harms us all....

33 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Yeah, seriously, this will be because of government pressure. If they go all out on Brexit then the Tories and the Brexiteer public will savage it.

It is a state owned news channel, as much as we like to think it is untouchable.

It’s also because the BBC news dept. has been hijacked by Tory journalists- Kuensberg et al. 

• Like 2