Europe --- In or Out

Christmas Tree

Europe?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

16 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

unbiased news gathering means reporting the news without editorial comment. unbiased analysis means grilling both sides of the debate equally. the bbc are the uk's standard bearer for impartial news reporting. it's a fucking brilliant institution - imagine if RT was your main source of broadcast news ffs.

i seem to remember the daily mail being up in arm when the bbc called out johnson's lies about the 350m a week.  

Now you're comparing it to Russian media? The BBC never grill Brexiteers man. The whole of leave was based on provable lies. I'll give you an example. In the campaign Penny Mordaunt claimed the UK couldn't veto Turkey joining the EU on the BBC. A blatant lie, unchallenged, which probably had a huge effect as it placed credence to the horrible UKip campaign.

I'll give you another. Two days ago the immigration Minister Caroline Nokes staggeringly said she had never read the GFA or visited the NI border. Bizarrely, she claimed it was because she was probably giving birth 20 years ago. Was this reported? No, other than buried in the NI pages of the website 

These aren't isolated examples, it's typical of the BBC's coverage. I'll ask you a question then. I'm sure you agree that it is the BBC's duty to inform the public about important issues like Brexit. Now, do you think the public is well I formed on it? No? Then that failing is at least partly to do with the BBC. 

Edited by Renton

what's this, it took me 10 seconds to google - oh look, it's james o'brien grilling brexiteer andrea leadsom on brexit bullshit

WHO'D A THOUGHT IT?

17 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

:lol: i'm defending the bbc against renton's accusation of government bias. you stuck your oar in so i presumed you agreed, hence the request for clarification.

no fake news here move along

I was teasing a bit with my previous replies although only a bit and stand by almost all of what I said.

4 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

what's this, it took me 10 seconds to google - oh look, it's james o'brien grilling brexiteer andrea leadsom on brexit bullshit

WHO'D A THOUGHT IT?

Exception that proves the rule tbh

12 minutes ago, Renton said:

Now you're comparing it to Russian media? The BBC never grill Brexiteers man. The whole of leave was based on provable lies. I'll give you an example. In the campaign Penny Mordaunt claimed the UK couldn't veto Turkey joining the EU on the BBC. A blatant lie, unchallenged, which probably had a huge effect as it placed credence to the horrible UKip campaign.

I'll give you another. Two days ago the immigration Minister Caroline Nokes staggeringly said she had never read the GFA or visited the NI border. Bizarrely, she claimed it was because she was probably giving birth 20 years ago. Was this reported? No, other than buried in the NI pages of the website 

These aren't isolated examples, it's typical of the BBC's coverage. I'll ask you a question then. I'm sure you agree that it is the BBC's duty to inform the public about important issues like Brexit. Now, do you think the public is well I formed on it? No? Then that failing is at least partly to do with the BBC. 

The public aren't well informed about brexit, but i don't blame the bbc for that - i blame the daily mail, the sun and others. 

And as for the BBC's failure to grill brexiteers - just watch the Leadsom interview I just posted - and the many like it on the newsnight archive.  

9 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

WHO'D A THOUGHT IT?

The same James O'Brien who had to leave Newsnight because he could no longer abide by their impartiality rules?

• Like 1

That's kind of the point though. It happens to an extent on political shows like Newsnight but on a lot more mainstream shows statements go unchallenged.

40 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

utter bollocks, sorry i presumed you watched newsnight because what you accuse the bbc of failing to do is exactly what that show does every night of the week. 

Having spent some time trawling through youtube trying to find clips of 'robust' challenges on Brexiteers, tbf I did find this one:

May well have been covered before, but to my view this is actually an interview of some substance. Perhaps the issue in my case is that I simply don't know where the BBC keeps it's 'intense' questioning of political figures. I don't watch terrestrial TV at all, so this is perhaps understandable in my case - and their web version is never going to actually commit on the same level I guess.

The BBC is essentially funded by taxes (the license fee being pretty much mandatory), and is ultimately dependent for its continued existence on the government. It's a fundamental conflict of interest. Again, I don't have solutions and think the service is brilliant value for iPlayer and radio 4 alone. But in terms of news it's more biased than C4 or Sky imo. 

Apart from bias, it's news service, including the website, especially the website, is incredibly shallow and vapid. You watch the news and see all those banks of journalists behind on their monitors, and think what the fuck are they actually doing? 

We'll build our own satellite system if the EU don't let us play with theirs once we leave apparently :lol:

We can totally afford that! 

31 minutes ago, Renton said:

The BBC is essentially funded by taxes (the license fee being pretty much mandatory), and is ultimately dependent for its continued existence on the government. It's a fundamental conflict of interest. Again, I don't have solutions and think the service is brilliant value for iPlayer and radio 4 alone. But in terms of news it's more biased than C4 or Sky imo. 

Apart from bias, it's news service, including the website, especially the website, is incredibly shallow and vapid. You watch the news and see all those banks of journalists behind on their monitors, and think what the fuck are they actually doing? 

I don't actually pay the license fee :D

But in fairness I don't use any of their services, so...

5 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

You'll have them on your doorstep with that carry on!

I didn't used to, but they got rid of the loophole so I do now.

During the build up to the Scottish Independence referendum the BBC would have panels with one from each of the main parties claiming that fulfilled their unbiased coverage brief. Regardless of the fact this always ended up with 3 unionists ganging up one one Independent.

14 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Explains a lot.

12 minutes ago, Andrew said:

You'll have them on your doorstep with that carry on!

I didn't used to, but they got rid of the loophole so I do now.

What loophole? The iPlayer one?

I don't watch that either. If they release anything worth watching I just get it on DVD or Netflix.

They've left me alone for 6 years and counting now.

Edited by Rayvin

1 minute ago, Rayvin said:

What loophole? The iPlayer one?

I don't watch that either. If they release anything worth watching I just get it on DVD or Netflix.

They've left me alone for 6 years and counting now.

Its not about watching it, its about having the capability of doing so.

So presumably anyone with internet has to pay the license fee now? Funny that they've not sent me any letters since imposing this if that's true...?

1 hour ago, Rayvin said:

So presumably anyone with internet has to pay the license fee now? Funny that they've not sent me any letters since imposing this if that's true...?

Reported.

22 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

:lol: The comments on here in the last 24 hours.

Renton, you’ve gone full foil hat.

:lol:

Says the man who thinks the moon landings were fake. :lol: