Europe --- In or Out

Christmas Tree

Europe?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I’m not sure what you find so strange? Nissan already have numerous supplier factories who have factories supplying parts located within a 10 mile radius.

iirc the boss of Aston Martin also said similar about gearboxes that are currently sourced from Italy may instead be supplied by a U.K. supplier.

All meaningless hypothesis anyway considering the deal that’s going to get done will allow trade to continue as normal.

10 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

I’m not sure what you find so strange? Nissan already have numerous supplier factories who have factories supplying parts located within a 10 mile radius.

iirc the boss of Aston Martin also said similar about gearboxes that are currently sourced from Italy may instead be supplied by a U.K. supplier.

All meaningless hypothesis anyway considering the deal that’s going to get done will allow trade to continue as normal.

Nissan fit 5 million parts a day, the large majority of which are sourced outside the UK, and most from the EU. You really think it's so easy to change supply chains?

Nissan have stated that even a few minutes delay make them unviable. Now, at this point I will repeat yet again you need to understand what the single market is, why it is so valued, why it is the most important achievement of the EU, and what it does. Frictionless trade is IMPOSSIBLE outside the SM.

Seriously, why the fuck do you think every western European is in the SM and pays for the privilege (except Switzerland, who have an incredibly complicated set of bilateral deals with FoM included)? I mean, how have you not even began to understand the basics yet? Outside the SM, there will have to be regulatory border checks. That means delays, and Nissan is no longer viable. 

It looks like we are literally going to have to experience the death of NE manufacturing before you understand what the single market is. Thank God I'm not a service provider reliant on this.

I'm sure it's only this important to them because they're so determined not to be wrong. Insecure, weak people.

If there was even a remotely compelling vision for a post-Brexit UK, you could have some sympathy with them - but there just isn't. For all JRM says we'll be better off in 50 years - we'll be back in by then anyway!

On 07/10/2018 at 21:21, Renton said:

So basically not british at all. Does it make a difference? I think it does. Take VW for instance, can you ever imagine them taking all production out of Germany? I can't. But JLR? Tata won't give a single fuck.

Its not just car manufacture, there's an alarming lack of UK ownership in lots of key sectors. We've flogged off virtually everything over the years, even to foreign governments. Take nuclear power, i was reading the other day that us leaving EURATOM will have the consequence that ownership of our fissile material will pass on to EDF. Basically the french government will own our uranium ffs. 

Id expect even without Brexit some production would drift to eastern EU counries anyway. But which EU country favoured expansion of the EU over further integration? That'd be the UK. We've made our own bed. 

On 08/10/2018 at 00:01, TheGingerQuiff said:

People do care about where their cars are made though so I don't think Tata would just up sticks. It'd be a dangerous move, being British defines JLR. In the same way that German cars=efficient. French cars, plastic shite. American cars laughable etc.

Pretty sure Swan Hunter was taken over by a Dutch firm. Gone. Scottish & Newcastle taking over by Heineken, (Dutch). Gone. When they closed the Tyne Brewery not one fuck was given about a protected geographical status on broon ale. If the people cared about it, the company certainly weren't arsed. That's just two big Newcastle employers off the top of my head. Another one, Nestlé, (Swiss), moving production of Blue Riband from Newcastle to Poland made their last biscuit recently. 70 odd jobs gone. 

1 hour ago, Howmanheyman said:

Pretty sure Swan Hunter was taken over by a Dutch firm. Gone. Scottish & Newcastle taking over by Heineken, (Dutch). Gone. When they closed the Tyne Brewery not one fuck was given about a protected geographical status on broon ale. If the people cared about it, the company certainly weren't arsed. That's just two big Newcastle employers off the top of my head. Another one, Nestlé, (Swiss), moving production of Blue Riband from Newcastle to Poland made their last biscuit recently. 70 odd jobs gone. 

Caring about where a bottle of beer is made or your 50k car purchase are different animals though

4 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Caring about where a bottle of beer is made or your 50k car purchase are different animals though

Obviously, one of the points I'm making is a big deal is made by companies about protected geographical stuff, yet when it suits they couldn't give a fuck. I seriously doubt a car manufacturer will either, particularly when it isn't a British company in the 1st place.

2 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

Obviously, one of the points I'm making is a big deal is made by companies about protected geographical stuff, yet when it suits they couldn't give a fuck. I seriously doubt a car manufacturer will either, particularly when it isn't a British company in the 1st place.

The point is more that consumers care where their car is from, which in turn means they have to give a fuck. If people were content to buy a Jag that was designed, developed and made in some European backwater then they'd have probably already moved.  

12 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

The point is more that consumers care where their car is from, which in turn means they have to give a fuck. If people were content to buy a Jag that was designed, developed and made in some European backwater then they'd have probably already moved.  

It's been financially worth it for foreign owned car companies to be here. The minute it isn't they're off. People driving a Nissan aren't driving it because they're proud it was made in Sunderland or they think Billy Marra will do a better job than Marcel le French-Cunt. 

4 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

It's been financially worth it for foreign owned car companies to be here. The minute it isn't they're off. People driving a Nissan aren't driving it because they're proud it was made in Sunderland or they think Billy Marra will do a better job than Marcel le French-Cunt. 

Nissan carries the Japanese reputation of build quality though, because despite them building in Sunderland they're Japanese and operate to those standards. JLR aren't a foreign company with an arm here, they're British with foreign owners.

2 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

cracking

Insect-filled chocolates, rat hair noodles, and maggoty orange juice: The reality of a Brexit trade deal with Trump

http://uk.businessinsider.com/rat-hairs-and-maggots-may-warned-of-reality-of-us-brexit-trade-deal-2018-10

Make a change from the horse meat lasagna from the EU ;)

28 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

Make a change from the horse meat lasagna from the EU ;)

Except the horse lasagna scandal was an example of people breaking the law. Happens sometimes, so does murder. This is an example of it being legal under US regulations. Not surprising you can't see the difference. 

I'd also rather eat horse lasagne than the BSE beef we exported to them. This is why we are going to need phytosanitary border inspection posts btw, to stop us exporting US shit you would be happy to scran. 

Also sounds as though the Irish Back Stop is virtually sorted. 

And the Germans finally starting to wobble....

German economists have warned that no deal could cause German exports to the UK to plummet by as much as 57%. The highly respected IW Economic Institute based in Cologne called for policymakers to take “constructive action” to avoid what they called the “horror scenario” of no deal.

The boss of the BDI – Germany’s equivalent of the CBI – has also warned that a “disorderly Brexit” would be a “massive crisis” for the EU, demanding that political leaders achieve a “breakthrough in the talks” at the next EU summit.

11 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Sounds like this would be a sensible compromise for all (from a NI perspective). Don't know if it will wash with the Brexiters though.

I don't get it. If GB is in CU but out of SM that's the Turkey deal, which is frankly worse than no deal. There will be huge frictions at every port, east and west facing. We also won't have control of trade deals, seen by Brexiters as so important. We could stop FoM, but who other than a few xenophobes wants that? This sounds like a disaster.

Yeah but I'll be sweet ;) 

It'll be a pathway to BRINO for the whole UK. It's inconceivable that the government could fully leave the single market while remaining in the CU. So they'll either remain in the SM at the end of transition or they'll renegotiate the backstop so it is only relevant to NI at that time. All of this only applies of course if the backstop is invoked.

Listening to a summary of Barniers speech there the EU is in no mood to compromise over the backstop or Chequers. Not that he can really. But I sense the EU just want us gone now. May folds or we're fucked. 

I wouldn't say there's been no compromise from the EU. They're prepared to allow very light touch checks on the Irish Sea. That's certainly a concession from them that they haven't offered any third country.

2 minutes ago, ewerk said:

I wouldn't say there's been no compromise from the EU. They're prepared to allow very light touch checks on the Irish Sea. That's certainly a concession from them that they haven't offered any third country.

But still unacceptable to the DUP. And, if we go down the hard Brexit route we seem to be pursuing, it's hard to see how the backstop won't become permanent and NI and GB diverge.

DUP have played a shocker. They've doomed themselves to a United Ireland much sooner than would have happened imo. Stupid fuckers.