Europe --- In or Out

Christmas Tree

Europe?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The figure for the third quarter is in line with predictions from the Bank of England and other forecasters.

However, buoyant growth in July was offset by a slowdown in August and September.

Analysts warned the economy had "little underlying momentum" and growth would decline in the final three months.

The ONS also issued a separate monthly figure for September, which, like the previous month, showed zero growth.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Christmas Tree said:

Latest quarter figures released today, UK gdp growing 3 x faster than Eurozone.

39C8C2C1-28DA-41A9-9AAD-4D5C9FBC1E27.jpeg

None of those numbers are going to help you when the fucking Boldon povvlers you cart about can't afford a taxi anymore, dickhead.

38 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

So economic data is only important when remainers post it :lol:  ok.

Well firstly, I don't post current economic data as a snapshot because it's meaningless (as you would know in this case if you had read the full article on this rather than posting headline figures). Trends are important but more importantly Brexit hasn't happened yet.

But not, what I was getting at is the fact you have avoided all the actual Brexit news aimed at you with a "look squirrel" post.

But while I'm here, what do you think of Dominic Raab's latest statement? This man is supposed to be the brains of Brexit yet he understands as much of geography and the SM as you do? Any concern about this tubs, or have those pro-remain civil servants got this all under control behind the scenes?

49 minutes ago, Renton said:

Well firstly, I don't post current economic data as a snapshot because it's meaningless (as you would know in this case if you had read the full article on this rather than posting headline figures). Trends are important but more importantly Brexit hasn't happened yet.

But not, what I was getting at is the fact you have avoided all the actual Brexit news aimed at you with a "look squirrel" post.

But while I'm here, what do you think of Dominic Raab's latest statement? This man is supposed to be the brains of Brexit yet he understands as much of geography and the SM as you do? Any concern about this tubs, or have those pro-remain civil servants got this all under control behind the scenes?

News?

I don’t think much has changed when I mentioned this looks just about done and that May was getting the budget out of the way before finalising the deal, politically, as is playing out right now.

6 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

News?

I don’t think much has changed when I mentioned this looks just about done and that May was getting the budget out of the way before finalising the deal, politically, as is playing out right now.

You must be one of the few people who believe this, based on the fact that NI is still a huge issue and May faces an almost impossible task satisfying enough people to get this through parliament. And ffs this is only the withdrawal deal, the hard bit, the future trading relationship, is yet to come. With people like Raab involved........ 

In a way I admire your sunny disposition. No matter what the evidence to the contrary, it's cracking, BAU. I really don't believe it is but we'll soon find out. 

Jo wants to have a word with his brother....

He said the public were being offered “an agreement that will leave our country economically weakened, with no say in the EU rules it must follow and years of uncertainty for business” or a no-deal Brexit “that I know as a transport minister will inflict untold damage on our nation

3 hours ago, Renton said:

You must be one of the few people who believe this, based on the fact that NI is still a huge issue and May faces an almost impossible task satisfying enough people to get this through parliament. And ffs this is only the withdrawal deal, the hard bit, the future trading relationship, is yet to come. With people like Raab involved........ 

In a way I admire your sunny disposition. No matter what the evidence to the contrary, it's cracking, BAU. I really don't believe it is but we'll soon find out. 

Truth be told I’m torn on this so I’ll give you an honest opinion of how I feel about Brexit and step away from the partisan back and forth.

1. I still wholeheartedly believe that the Brexit I was offered was a much better future for this country for all the reasons discussed at length.

2. Part of me looks at May and thinks her handling of negogiations has been diabolical. The other part realises that the loss of majority fucked her (as we’ve discussed) and has cemented the path she has had to take, inching forward and can kicking to try and keep as many as possible onboard. That’s not incompetence just a political reality of the circumstances she’s ended up in. To a degree it’s worked as proven by the legislation that’s been passed in a tight parliament.

3. The deal between the main players was / is done but we have arrived at the end of the can kicking and the chickens are coming home to roost. As the cabinet / dup find out what the deal is, shit is hitting the fan.

4. If I’m honest, the deal she has agreed is further can kicking and I think that if voted through we will just postpone this situation for a few years down the line. 

5. I don’t think a people’s vote would solve this.

6. Given where we are I would favour no deal WTO but only if (as I said in 2016) it was short term disruption and not the sort of collapse (Nissan etc) that you believe in.

7. Labour are simply playing politics and should really get off the fence and lay out their strategy.

8. That won’t happen yet so what should happen now is this. May puts her deal to the commons. If voted down, she should go and a new PM elected. That person should then either put together their plan for Brexit and deliver it or call a GE. This will ensure genuine details from Labour.

9. My teas ready.

52 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Wouldn’t he be better off in Parliament voting down the deal instead of taking this principled stand though?

Him resigning is one more vote against the deal.

29 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

Truth be told I’m torn on this so I’ll give you an honest opinion of how I feel about Brexit and step away from the partisan back and forth.

1. I still wholeheartedly believe that the Brexit I was offered was a much better future for this country for all the reasons discussed at length.

You were lied to. 48% of the population knew that. You have been repeatedly told the difficulties with your vision but refused to listen. 

2. Part of me looks at May and thinks her handling of negogiations has been diabolical. The other part realises that the loss of majority fucked her (as we’ve discussed) and has cemented the path she has had to take, inching forward and can kicking to try and keep as many as possible onboard. That’s not incompetence just a political reality of the circumstances she’s ended up in. To a degree it’s worked as proven by the legislation that’s been passed in a tight parliament.

She has taken on an impossible task. Brexit was doomed to fail. I don’t think anyone could have made a success of it.

3. The deal between the main players was / is done but we have arrived at the end of the can kicking and the chickens are coming home to roost. As the cabinet / dup find out what the deal is, shit is hitting the fan.

It isn’t done. May has realised what she knew all along, that the EU won’t bend to any great degree. She has to choose what is on offer subject to their rules which will not change to accommodate a third party.

4. If I’m honest, the deal she has agreed is further can kicking and I think that if voted through we will just postpone this situation for a few years down the line. 

This deal was always only about the withdrawal. The trade deal comes next. That’s logical sequencing.

5. I don’t think a people’s vote would solve this.

The only way to change the ‘will of the people’ is to ask them again. The people are much better informed now so it’s only right they get the final say on the deal.

6. Given where we are I would favour no deal WTO but only if (as I said in 2016) it was short term disruption and not the sort of collapse (Nissan etc) that you believe in.

WTO = the collapse of Nissan and every other business that relies on intra-EU JIT logistics. That’s a fact. 

7. Labour are simply playing politics and should really get off the fence and lay out their strategy.

I agree. They’ve been cowards. But ultimately their refusal to take a firm position may work in their favour long term.

8. That won’t happen yet so what should happen now is this. May puts her deal to the commons. If voted down, she should go and a new PM elected. That person should then either put together their plan for Brexit and deliver it or call a GE. This will ensure genuine details from Labour.

a. A new leader will have the same hand that May has and the same parliamentary problems.

b. A GE may not deliver a firm conclusion and the Tories leadership won’t risk Corbyn becoming PM.

9. My teas ready.

Its only your duck pizza starter, you’ll be back.

Ah fair dos, got that wrong.

The people’s vote thing is clearly gathering momentum, but I honestly don’t see it happening. Corbyn isn’t going to rally behind it all of a sudden to give it the majority it would need. And even if he did, no way is May, or any Tory leader in waiting for that matter, going to bring forward the legislation that might reverse Brexit. That would be their legacy and what they’d be remembered for, which would destroy their political career.

Nor would any Tory PM, other than a freak like JRM, want to be remembered for overseeing no deal. They’d rather call an election first, which of course Corbyn will win. 

Edited by Dr Gloom