Europe --- In or Out

Christmas Tree

Europe?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Robert Peston
20 mins · 
Facebook Creator
 · 
Here is the measure of Theresa May’s failure last night - according to an observer of her request to EU leaders for “assurances” that UK membership of the EU backstop would be finite and of short duration.

They were ready to help. They assumed a process of officials agreeing a text over coming week would start today, to give her the necessary words that would persuade Tory and DUP critics of her deal to ultimately support it.

But it was during the course of questioning her that they concluded such a process - such an extension of talks - would be a total waste of time.

Why?

Well according to one observer of the conversation between May and the EU27 leaders, “she could not say what would actually deliver a majority in parliament for her”.

Why on earth could and should they start talks in the absence of knowing what May actually wants?

The other things she could not give them comfort on were

1. could Northern Ireland’s DUP MPs, who keep her in power, ever be brought round?

2. when would it be best for the EU to actually provide the assurances she wants?

3. And in the words of one EU leader, wouldn’t it have been better for the PM to build a majority for some version of the Brexit deal BEFORE asking for their help?

This impasse, this debacle, means the PM faces a deeply painful and humiliating choice.

She either now has to admit failure to parliament and ask MPs what kind of Brexit or even no-Brexit they want.

This would be to surrender all pretence that she is in charge of the process and somehow restyle herself as head of a government of national unity.

And with the clocking running down till Brexit day on 29 March, she probably does not have the luxury of waiting till after Christmas to make this pivot of all pivots.

Or she will have to continue with her conceit that the alternative to her Brexit is ONLY a no-deal Brexit and somehow make the best of that - however much she fears that would make millions of people poorer.

The stakes could not be higher - for her and us.

@Christmas Tree , Nebulous means she’s a bit vague, ill-defined, unclear.  

You know that feeling you get when you waddle in to the schoolyard and all the parents suddenly  have urgent calls to take when you try to speak to them, and you think, 

“ These people have such busy lives…”

:CT:

3 hours ago, Rayvin said:

Why is May doing this to herself. How many years of her life has she lost by stressing about this lunacy, I wonder.

Lots hopefully 

3 hours ago, ewerk said:

Well this has changed my mind on another referendum.

Plenty of servicemen have died for fuck all. That has absolutely nothing to do with Brexit. The gammons love banging on about the armed forces like despite on the whole never having served themselves. The period around Remembrance Sunday is like their Xmas

8 hours ago, ewerk said:

It's still unbelievable how brazen these people are with their stupidity.

So, I was looking at this, and it includes tariff free trade on cars. Which got me thinking, why would Nissan build cars in a third country, as the UK will be, to be confronted with tariffs and NTBs,  including country of origin rules, when they can import cars directly from Japan for free? I think Fox is basically celebrating the demise of Nissan, albeit unwittingly. Any comment @Christmas Tree

5 minutes ago, Renton said:

So, I was looking at this, and it includes tariff free trade on cars. Which got me thinking, why would Nissan build cars in a third country, as the UK will be, to be confronted with tariffs and NTBs,  including country of origin rules, when they can import cars directly from Japan for free? I think Fox is basically celebrating the demise of Nissan, albeit unwittingly. Any comment @Christmas Tree

I will reply on behalf of CT.

Ahem.

Well with AI and that the monopolies of these big firms what pay the taxes and the mergers of the companies in the big free trade agreement we have on the way means that because of all the jobs there is like with the poles all going back to Hungary and that and the maths behind the phenomanil Philhominal big growth in the value of the pound or summat means that this cracking deal which May has got which is just being kept a secret like means it will all be BAU.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

I will reply on behalf of CT.

Ahem.

Well with AI and that the monopolies of these big firms what pay the taxes and the mergers of the companies in the big free trade agreement we have on the way means that because of all the jobs there is like with the poles all going back to Hungary and that and the maths behind the phenomanil Philhominal big growth in the value of the pound or summat means that this cracking deal which May has got which is just being kept a secret like means it will all be BAU.

You omitted the bit about this already having being :razz: sorted out behind closed doors by the men in grey suits 

Just now, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

Would you like to read the last three lines again?

I think you’ll find it’s the bureaucrats rather than the ‘politicos’ that get these things done. May probably doesn’t even know about it yet 

2 hours ago, Renton said:

You forget they have the secret letter ;)