Europe --- In or Out

Christmas Tree

Europe?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

20 minutes ago, Renton said:

May is clearly a xenophobe and racist, that's why she wants to end FoM. 

If we assume the 48% weren't bothered about FoM, do you seriously think 96% of leavers were? Not even 4% voted leave for other reasons? Because if not, there was no mandate for stopping FoM either. 

I think a lot of the cliched northern "protest vote" did include anti-fom sentiment.

As for the southern non-metropolitan masses who aren't doing that badly economically, I think there was a lot of little englander take back control nonsense and that does include xenophobia.

I don't dispute your figures but it would take some pretty honest polling to clarify leave voters which we aren't going to get.

2 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

But EU also have to give an inch for this to happen, which they haven’t done so far.

Thats my main gripe with the EU, they’ve never given a fuck about us. And have been stubborn as hell during all this process because they know a “good deal” for the UK will prick up the ears of other unsure nations.

I remember this article from back before Brexit vote, there was talk of cutting a good deal for Switzerland on migration and other things.. then they banged it on hold as soon as they got wind of Brexit and referendum. Probably because we would have had good ammo for an easier deal imo. Shady as fuck.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-eu-swiss-idUSKCN0VZ1OU

If they hadn’t been so stubborn to Cameron way back when he tried to get us a better deal.. it’s possible none of this would have happened.

8 minutes ago, zerosum said:

Thats my main gripe with the EU, they’ve never given a fuck about us. And have been stubborn as hell during all this process because they know a “good deal” for the UK will prick up the ears of other unsure nations.

I remember this article from back before Brexit vote, there was talk of cutting a good deal for Switzerland on migration and other things.. then they banged it on hold as soon as they got wind of Brexit and referendum. Probably because we would have had good ammo for an easier deal imo. Shady as fuck.

If they hadn’t been so stubborn to Cameron way back when he tried to get us a better deal.. it’s possible none of this would have happened.

If you understood how the EU operates and why,  you'd not post such nonsense. The EU is a rule based organisation with benefits and importantly obligations. You are either in it, or out of it, using one of the models that other third countries have. May's red lines were incompatible with all those models with the exception of Canada, which is what they have therefore offered. There's nothing spiteful about this, it's just the way it works. There is no place for UK exceptionalism or cherry picking. Of course we aren't getting the benefits without the obligations. Why should we? Put yourself in their position. 

If May relaxed her red lines, we can get a better a deal. But she won't, so we're where we are, on the brink of disaster. 

Btw, Cameron came back with laws to stop EU migrants receiving benefits and opt out to ever closer union. What did you expect the EU to give him? He got a good deal on top of all our other opt outs (schenghen, Euro, rebate). We had the best deal out of the EU28, and we're throwing it away on pipe dreams. 

13 minutes ago, zerosum said:

Yeah but an economy crashing out of the eu the size of UK, is going to wreck them also. They could have given more of a fuck imo 

But rules must be obeyed!

We had the best deal, and wanted to retain the benefits without paying for it now or accepting any obligations. Even if they could change the entire constitution to accommodate our selfish demands, clearly it would be an existential threat to them. 

You ought to remember who started this and who will suffer the most if the shit hits the fan. Yes, it will be very damaging to the EU, particularly France, Benelux, and Germany. But they are still a union of 27, with all the EU framework and apparatus. We will be out in the cold. It will devastate us. 

Edited by Renton

31 minutes ago, zerosum said:

Like most people, your main gripe with the EU is based on a falsehood 

15 minutes ago, zerosum said:

Yeah but an economy crashing out of the eu the size of UK, is going to wreck them also. They could have given more of a fuck imo 

You do realise they aren’t the ones who’ve rejected May’s deal? 

35 minutes ago, zerosum said:

What's your beef with immigration?

56 minutes ago, Renton said:

May's acting as if nothing has happened. Her plan B is known to be the same as plan A. She's stuck in a loop. She needs sectioned. Why the fuck is she still here? 

It’s tough to pick an emoji to reflect the situation isn’t it :lol:

14 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

It’s tough to pick an emoji to reflect the situation isn’t it :lol:

:poo:

I was kind of hoping politics might change slightly after yesterday's unprecedented events, but no, all I've got is more deja vu, again. Again. Again..... 

22 minutes ago, ewerk said:

What's your beef with immigration?

My personal beef isn’t specific to immigration, it’s the EU and all their “rules”, immigration included.

But the Swiss deal was blocked until the UK had dealt it cards. 

1 minute ago, zerosum said:

Certain ones specific to my business and other businesses which I think would be better off with a more UK centric approach to them. That’s all.

I can't believe that the EU haven't tailored rules to suit you specifically. If ever there was evidence that it's an evil, overreaching bureaucracy then this is it.

• Haha 1