Europe --- In or Out

Christmas Tree

Europe?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ah so you mean its a strategic failure from a voter attraction position, not that they will actually vote for any of the shit shes saying.

Ā 

Sorry yeah, i guess he's trying to show strength or something but unity might be a better look atm.

So the Tories created this mess, are refusing to call an election and are refusing to move on their red lines but expect labour to interact with them to sort it out, when they can simply watch TMĀ unravel as a result of the pickle she's got herself into. Can't blame them reallyĀ 

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

i still think we're heading for a GE

Ā 

My old mate who I used to play football with is an experienced GE returning officer. He's been emailed asking about his availability on a specific date in the nearish future. Needless to say it's not the date this forum's resident village idiot suggested the other day :D

Ā 

Ā 

23 minutes ago, ewerk said:

There is no legal basis for preventing no deal so why make it a prerequisite for talks? He's a thick fool.

i don't disagree he's a fool, but calling on may to rule out a hard brexit as official government policy isn't a bad politicalĀ manoeuvre. stop using it as an empty threat, get her to give up saying no deal is better than a bad deal. we all know it's bollcocks andĀ we all know she doesn't mean it. lt would spell disaster for the country. politicians of all stripes need to get their heads together to see how they can avertĀ it - it's not a bad place to start negotiations: working out how we can ensure we don't all end queuing for rations.

3 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

So the Tories created this mess, are refusing to call an election and are refusing to move on their red lines but expect labour to interact with them to sort it out, when they can simply watch TMĀ unravel as a result of the pickle she's got herself into. Can't blame them reallyĀ 

Meanwhile the country falls off a cliff edge. Aye, that's leadership.

3 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

i don't disagree he's a fool, but calling on may to rule out a hard brexit as official government policy isn't a bad politicalĀ manoeuvre. stop using it as an empty threat, get her to give up saying no deal is better than a bad deal. we all know it's bollcocks andĀ we all know she doesn't mean it. lt would spell disaster for the country. politicians of all stripes need to get their heads together to see how they can avertĀ it - it's not a bad place to start negotiations: working out how we can ensure we don't all end queuing for rations.

Hard Brexit isn't government policy. It's the default situation. You start negotiations by sitting down together, not by making pre-talks demands.

He can meet with her for an hour and come out and say it's been a waste of time and call it a win. He's made this rod for his own back whereby he's looking like shirking any of the responsibility that comes with being LOTO.

4 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Hard Brexit isn't government policy. It's the default situation. You start negotiations by sitting down together, not by making pre-talks demands.

He can meet with her for an hour and come out and say it's been a waste of time and call it a win. He's made this rod for his own back whereby he's looking like shirking any of the responsibility that comes with being LOTO.

Ā 

Given it's already emerged that she's unwilling to move on basically everything I think it's safe to assume that it was a waste of time. He's called it a stunt and he's right.Ā 

12 minutes ago, ewerk said:

she can commit to legislating to revoke A50 if no deal is reached? she won't of course. but that's the legal way to bypass the default endgame. that or a PV, which she won't commit to either

Edited by Dr Gloom

4 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Ā 

Given it's already emerged that she's unwilling to move on basically everything I think it's safe to assume that it was a waste of time. He's called it a stunt and he's right.Ā 

It's a stunt and he's fully supported her in it. What looks better to the average man in the street? Corbyn refusing to meet the Prime Minister during the nation's biggest crisis in generations or him walking out of No.10 saying that he's given it a go but it's the PM who's being obstinate?

Just now, ewerk said:

It's a stunt and he's fully supported her in it. What looks better to the average man in the street? Corbyn refusing to meet the Prime Minister during the nation's biggest crisis in generations or him walking out of No.10 saying that he's given it a go but it's the PM who's being obstinate?

Ā 

No one would believe him anyway tbf. The press would still trash him.Ā 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ewerk said:

Ā 

I think even the man in the street will see who's responsible for this when the shit hits the fan. It's not like the Daily Mail would have been heaping praise on him if he'd attended anyway.

• Like 1

No. While they aren't big fans of him, The Sun, The Times and Mail all are portraying him as a coward on their front pages this morning. He could have avoided that and put the focus squarely on May by just meeting her. It wasn't much to ask and he has brought the criticism on him.

• Like 1

It doesnt change anything material about Brexit anyway even if he has. If we got an election then maybe but with his current policy position even i wouldn't vote for him so he's fucked anyway on that front.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Howmanheyman said:

Some of the people I work with, (blancmange for brains) will never vote labour with corbyn as he's a terrorist sympathiser and they're leave voters, (or didn't vote but if had've it would've been leave because immigration). One likes Trump as well. Thick. As. Fuck.

I also think some people play the contrarian in lieu of having anything interesting or intelligent to say. Remind you of anyone?Ā 

An interesting alternative take

Only a rupture with the EU will alter the failed status quo
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jan/17/rupture-eu-brexit-reform?CMP=share_btn_tw

@rayvin - would the disruption to the neoliberalĀ status quo be the one straw to clutch at if we end up with a hard brexit?Ā 

I think anyone thinking shit can only get better wants to have a quick perusal of the history of the twentieth century. The Guardian can, quite frankly,Ā fuck off. Most of its output does the left more harm than goodĀ 

• Like 2