Europe --- In or Out

Christmas Tree

Europe?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

10 hours ago, Renton said:

Thing is, Brexit is liable to break up both the UK and Britain the way things are going. These Brexiters are going to lose the union flag. Also I thought most them were in the "no surrender to the IRA" camp yet here they ate not giving a toss about NI as long as Brexit happens. English nationalism is fucking strange. 

I agree, but that concept does not compute for that lot.  We live in a Trump world.

Great article here, strongly recommend reading it. Yes @ewerk it's Ivan Rogers but he has been spot on so far and understands the EU inside out.

Deliberately to walk out of the deepest internal market on the planet without a replacement looser preferential deal in place is an act of economic lunacy. We shall need A preferential deal. Even if it is one appreciably looser – and hence reduces trade and investment flows from today, because we cannot live with supranational legislation, adjudication and enforcement which EU membership entails. No deal’ is not a destination. It is simply a volatile and uncertain transitional state of purgatory, in which you have forfeited all the leverage to the other side because you start with a blank slate of no preferential arrangements, and live, in the interim – probably for years – on a basis they legislate – in their own interests. At 27. Without you in the room, and without consulting you politically. So much of our debate about ‘being ready here for ‘no deal’ therefore totally misses the point.

Whole speech is here. 

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2019/06/ivan-rogers-no-deal-is-now-the-most-likely-outcome/

^_^

If you'd like to bother reading it and giving your thoughts, I'd be interested. As it is it paints a very pessimistic picture for the next several decades and at least evidences it with logic and facts. 

Ain't nobody got time to read all that. 

I'm still not 100% sure that Boris is stupid enough to pull the trigger on no deal. Could any Tory PM survive the fallout?

If anyone can, it's him. He achieved basically nothing as London mayor and his views and comments on all kinds of things are well documented, and still he's at the front of the queue to be the next PM. That being the case, maybe he's Teflon enough to survive wrecking the country.

I just don't see how he does so without a significant number resigning the Tory whip and forcing a GE. An election set against the background of a Mad Max style UK surely is unwinnable even for that lovable scamp.

15 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Ain't nobody got time to read all that. 

I'm still not 100% sure that Boris is stupid enough to pull the trigger on no deal. Could any Tory PM survive the fallout?

It's this tl;dr attitude amongst politicians that has got us where we are. Nobody does details, but the devil is in the details. Tbh nobody even does the big picture. 

Rogers believes that no deal isn't inevitable, but the mostikely outcome nonetheless. It suits the EU, gives them all the leverage. Johnson can't revoke, he can't have a referendum, he can't have a GE, he can't renegotiate, and he probably can't extend. His only option is to try and renegotiate and blame the EU for us crashing out. But then what? Part of the argument underlined here is that it suits the EU to keep us in limbo for years or decades as they will have complete assymetric power over us. Unless and until the UK  basically go back cap in hand and beg for the WA, there will be no trade deal. But it'll be politically impossible for the tories to this. 

Basically, this might be worse than anybody feared possible 3 years ago. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ewerk said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48810069

More money down the shitter.

This shit is unbelievable. As tax payers we are all literally paying for this ridiculous tory shitstorm. ONE party has caused this, from start to finish. Can't quite recall who first said it, but i hope there is a special place in hell for all these fuckers. 

Edited by Renton