Europe --- In or Out

Christmas Tree

Europe?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

17 hours ago, ewerk said:

Which is why we've seen them pivoting recently to blaming the inflexible EU. Some will be taken in by it but not anyone with any sense.

And there's the problem 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49352250

This is the sort of shit that will lead to no deal by default. Corbyn's insistence on being PM in a NUG isn't going to have the backing of the Lib Dems, rightly or wrongly. But more importantly it is not going to win over enough Tory rebels. These guys may be remainers but at the end of the day they are still Tories and the last person they want to see in No.10 is Corbyn. Given's Corbyn's ego I can't see him backing down to support any other figure as PM but hopefully this will lead to some formal cross party talks.

• Like 1

So the opponents just ignore "strictly time limited". 

Even if he wanted to do something "stupid" like nationalise something or cancel trident, it would still need a vote which they could just oppose. 

What's Swinsons route to stopping no deal or getting another ref? - Yvette Cooper undermining her party - is there a majority of Labour MPs for that? 

If there's a GE does with no majority does she think she'll get a second ref out of Johnson? 

It's the thought of willingly putting Corbyn into No.10 that is putting them off and of course will put off the Tory rebels.

However, they can back him motion of no confidence without backing him for PM. I think Corbyn would be expected to be first to be given the chance to see if he can command the authority of the house but if that fails then there should still be time for the house to rally around a less devisive figure.

I understand the idea of the lib dems seeing themselves as power brokers and I generally support pr but one thing I really disliked about the 2010 thing was Clegg dictating to Labour that Brown had to go. 

I think the power broker role shouldn't extend to dictating other parties leaders and that applies here. They might think Corbyn can't be trusted which I can understand to some extent but as Gem says, that shouldn't mean an out of hand rejection. Just talk ffs. 

18 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Swinson is being a tit here. The important thing is getting everyone around a table initially. 

She has said that Corbyn couldn’t command a majority which is true. She’s also said she’s prepared to talk to him.

Really difficult one. On the basis of avoiding Brexit/No Deal at all costs, the Lib Dems should put up with just about anything, but I can see why it's a problem for them. If they're seen to be supporting a Corbyn government then that's going to be front and centre of any upcoming election campaign from the tories. Vote LD, get Corbyn. And that might mean we lose seats in some of the places where the LDs are the only viable alternative to the Tories.

It's actually surprisingly clever from Labour which pisses me off somewhat.

Of course, Corbyn could come out and make clear that any such government would be established on the basis of one specific policy issue, and that out of respect for the differing opinions on other issues that have led him into power, he will not undertake to make any other radical reforms beyond general upkeep of the country, and that once Brexit is resolved, he will immediately call a GE. But he's not going to do that.

As I said if he tried anything they could just vote against it anyway. 

If a GE followed the current polls then the libs would have no choice but to join with Labour anyway if they wanted a second ref. 

Just now, NJS said:

As I said if he tried anything they could just vote against it anyway. 

If a GE followed the current polls then the libs would have no choice but to join with Labour anyway if they wanted a second ref. 

Yeah but they could probably do without underlining that pre-GE. Ignoring even just the Lib Dem angle, it could harm Remain if centre right voters feel they have to make a choice between a Corbyn government and Remain.

45 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Yeah but they could probably do without underlining that pre-GE. Ignoring even just the Lib Dem angle, it could harm Remain if centre right voters feel they have to make a choice between a Corbyn government and Remain.

Well the alternative is Farage and/or Johnson. 

5 minutes ago, NJS said:

Well the alternative is Farage and/or Johnson. 

And despite impartial reporting in the media for the past two years, somehow Corbyn has come off worse than those two.

Edited by Rayvin

14 hours ago, Rayvin said:

And despite impartial reporting in the media for the past two years, somehow Corbyn has come off worse than those two.

Mainly because he will not set out his agenda adequately (if at all).  Whatever else you can say about the other two, they do seem to know what they want, however divisive and stupid.

Dominic Grieve, a leading Conservative rebel, said that he “will not facilitate” a Jeremy Corbyn government in an email seen by the New Statesman. 

It is a further blow to Labour hopes that a caretaker or unity government can be established with Corbyn at its head. 

In the email, Grieve, the former attorney general and key player in multiple government defeats, replied to a highly critical message about Corbyn’s letter asking for support to lead a caretaker administration saying that, “I entirely agree. I am not about to facilitate Jeremy Corbyn’s arrival in Downing Street.”