Europe --- In or Out

Christmas Tree

Europe?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, Phil said:

Well thats nonsense.  All he has to do is pass a bill that says "Notwithstanding the Fixed-term Parliaments Act, we will have a general election on 14 October.", which would only require a majority. link

How does he get that majority given that presumably, everyone who wants to avoid No Deal voted for this pre-amendment motion tonight. He doesn't have a majority, he's got nothing. His only chance now is a GE.

36 minutes ago, ewerk said:

A GE would have to see Johnson campaign on a mandate of no deal. That’s the only way to keep the Brexit Party at bay but could see them losing moderate voters.

I think no matter what we do he’s fucked.

Yeah but the other side of that equation is Corbyn. It's a tough choice for 'moderates'.

3 minutes ago, Phil said:

Well thats nonsense.  All he has to do is pass a bill that says "Notwithstanding the Fixed-term Parliaments Act, we will have a general election on 14 October.", which would only require a majority. link

What majority does he plan to use to get that passed? 21 rebels are having the whip withdrawn tonight. The Tories didn't have a majority to start with and now they're underwater. 

The opposition could actually simply and bluntly refuse to let this government fall, take control of the Parliamentary agenda, and run the Commons without the Tory party. 

1 minute ago, Phil said:

You mean he has to declare no confidence in his own party? That's going to look brilliant on him. :lol:

And he is miles off having a majority to get it through now in any case. This government is 30 shy of an outright majority. 

It's the tories mess, they can sort it out, meanwhile I am anjoying their party disintegrating. They're finished. :)

1 minute ago, acrossthepond said:

What majority does he plan to use to get that passed? 21 rebels are having the whip withdrawn tonight. The Tories didn't have a majority to start with and now they're underwater. 

The opposition could actually simply and bluntly refuse to let this government fall, take control of the Parliamentary agenda, and run the Commons without the Tory party. 

This is a good point actually :lol:

He's politically castrated himself. Whether the opposition actually goes through with this humiliation I don't know...

3 minutes ago, Renton said:

You mean he has to declare no confidence in his own party? That's going to look brilliant on him. :lol:

And he is miles off having a majority to get it through now in any case. This government is 30 shy of an outright majority. 

It's the tories mess, they can sort it out, meanwhile I am anjoying their party disintegrating. They're finished. :)

What follows them is potentially more troubling though. Especially if the “will of the people” is seen to have been denied. I fear the rise of English nationalism, far right and a really unpleasant political future.

Edited by Dr Gloom

3 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

What follows them is potentially more troubling though. Especially if the “will of the people” is seen to have been denied. I fear the rise of English nationalism, far right and a really unpleasant political future.

Which is why we need the democratic mandate offered by a second referendum.

53 minutes ago, ewerk said:

So much for Boris’ charisma and him being a ‘force of nature’. The man looks completely bewildered and out of his depth, I guess him and Cummings didn’t have a master plan after all.

They must have known this would happen - don’t you think they’ve been preparing for this “people vs parliament” campaign, straight out of the trump playbook from the get go?

Apparently Cummings has been strolling around the lobby with a glass of wine in his hand, like his owns the place, this evening.

22 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Which is why we need the democratic mandate offered by a second referendum.

Sadly, I think this is the future of British politics. There’s bound to still be a reaction if the original referendum result is overturned. It isn’t just happening here, of course, this lurch to populism and the far right is going down all over the shop. 

Edited by Dr Gloom

Just now, Dr Gloom said:

They must have known this would happen - don’t you think they’ve been preparing for this “people vs parliament” campaign, straight out of the trump playbook from the get go?

Apparently Cummings has been strolling around the lobby with a glass of wine in his hand, like his owns the place, this evening.

I don't think they counted on Corbyn refusing a GE until the bill passes. I'm pretty sure everything hinged on that GE.

Although I still feel that Labour should rule it out altogether until after Brexit and simply force the Tories into collapsing and just create a new government on the fly for the purposes of having a referendum. Although I do concede that this will probably hospitalise some of the Brexiteers with higher blood pressure.

5 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

We're already there man. Cummings, Johnson,, Patel etc. Youve got to be encouraged by the fight back. 

1 minute ago, Rayvin said:

It's actually pretty good TV though tbf.

I don’t think I’ve ever been this engaged with politics. Makes the new labour years seem rather quaint and a bit dull. 

Just now, Dr Gloom said:

Sadly, I think this is the future of British politics. There’s bound to still be a reaction  of the original referendum result is overturned. It isn’t just happening here, of course, this lurch to populism and the far right is going down all over the shop. 

I think the old left vs right narrative is collapsing. The battle of our era is Globalists vs Anti-globalists. And as globalists we need to do more to bring a greater number of people with us. Both the hard left and right are resisting us which is partially why we're in this mess.

As for the far right, I think the 'actual' far right is no more prevalent than it has ever been. The Alt right anti globalists are in ascendancy but it can only go on for so long since, apart from tearing everything apart, they have nothing constructive to offer.

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

I don’t think I’ve ever been this engaged with politics. Makes the new labour years seem rather quaint and a bit dull. 

whatever are we all going to moan about when brexit is gone?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Renton said:

We're already there man. Cummings, Johnson,, Patel etc. Youve got to be encouraged by the fight back. 

Yeah, today feels like a momentous one. Helps that the speaker is on our side too. Those three you mention are charlatans but they’re not quite Viktor Orban 

Just now, zerosum said:

whatever are we all going to moan about when brexit is gone?

Interesting question actually. Corbyn, Johnson, in fact most of the current politicians won't survive this chaos in the end.

Maybe we can complain about HS2 when that comes back in 5 years.

Just now, Dr Gloom said:

Yeah, today feels like a momentous one. Helps that the speaker is on our side too. Those three you mention are charlatans but they’re not quite Viktor Orban 

Personally consider Bolsonaro to be the biggest right wing threat atm. Even moreso than Trump who, honestly, is pretty fucking benign.

1 minute ago, Rayvin said:

Interesting question actually. Corbyn, Johnson, in fact most of the current politicians won't survive this chaos in the end.

Maybe we can complain about HS2 when that comes back in 5 years.

haha yeah.. or just go back to nufc moaning 

5 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Personally consider Bolsonaro to be the biggest right wing threat atm. Even moreso than Trump who, honestly, is pretty fucking benign.

Yup, another weapons grade cunt. The point is this is happening everywhere and Brexit could be just the start of it here  

24 minutes ago, Renton said:

Not quite, theres fresh blood coming through...

Edited by PaddockLad
  • Haha 5