Europe --- In or Out

Christmas Tree

Europe?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Johnson will blame the EU if brexit 'deal' doesn't get done, by law we can't leave with no deal, EU extension is vetoed by one of the EU members, parliament has to revoke to prevent disaster, election time afterwards and Johnson sweeps up the betrayal vote and doesn't have to worry about brexit which he doesn't give a fuck about but he does give a fuck about being PM and having a majority which he'll hope to do by splitting the opposition and trying to make the brexit party an irrelevance if his betrayal spiel is up to scratch and the media are 'on message'. No brexit but five more years of a Johnson Tory government. Time will tell if he eventually jettisons some of the ERG from prominence once that ship has sailed and they're no use to him.

Or I might be completely wrong and be misunderstanding everything so far? If only CT was here to guide me.

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

What a clueless spenk that woman is.

I hadn't seen that Leave EU tweet before. Fucking disgusting. Expect more of this gung ho xenophobic rhetoric from now on. Expect it to get worse. Expect violence and deaths. This is where we are headed, whatever the outcome imo. 

This has always been the endgame, unfortunately. Blame the foreigners. If 52% were willing to vote leave, you can bet 52% will be willing to buy the "it's all their fault" narrative too. :dunno: 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Renton said:

What a clueless spenk that woman is.

I hadn't seen that Leave EU tweet before. Fucking disgusting. Expect more of this gung ho xenophobic rhetoric from now on. Expect it to get worse. Expect violence and deaths. This is where we are headed, whatever the outcome imo. 

I’d take a cheeky little civil war if it eradicates the 52%ers. 

2 hours ago, Rayvin said:

I’ve actually read the letter now and the cunts who have signed it state that they’ve no problem with the proposal for Northern Ireland. They’re a fucking disgrace.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NJS said:

Dementia and cancer are the main weapons in that war. 

Unfortunately it's not that straight forward. I can think of quite a few who are under 60 in some cases well under 60 who are decent enough people but have blancmange for brains when it comes to brexit and who've fell for the bollocks hook, line and sinker.

• Like 2

The EU is ready to make a major concession on a Brexit deal by providing a mechanism for the Northern Irish assembly to leave a new Irish backstop after a set number of years, The Times has learnt.

Diplomatic sources close to the talks said European governments are prepared to concede a unilateral revocation of the withdrawal treaty by Stormont after a period of time. The date of 2025 has been mooted, as long as both communities agree to it.

Last week’s proposals from the UK contained a controversial measure which the EU said would essentially give the DUP a veto. It is one of the major sticking points to getting a deal.

Diplomats cite the Good Friday agreement’s commitment to “parity of esteem” for both the unionist and nationalist communities as the reasoning behind having a “double majority”.

A European source has now told The Times: “A landing zone on consent could be a double majority within Stormont, to leave, not to continue with the arrangements after X years.”

Under the UK government proposals Northern Ireland would align itself with the EU’s single market rules but not remain inside the customs union.

In return for giving Stormont a “lock” over the deal in the future, the EU wants the government to accept a customs border in the Irish Sea because it will have a time limit if the people of Northern Ireland agree the arrangements do not benefit them.

“With the consent mechanism there is no real political reason for the UK to have a separate customs border that is distinct from another regulatory border as Northern Ireland can decide,” said the source.

EU negotiators do not accept the government’s logic of having two borders, a regulatory one in Irish Sea and customs one on the island of Ireland, and see the new consent offer, unimaginable just a few months ago, as a potential breakthrough.

The offer is seen as an eleventh hour attempt to find a “landing zone” for a deal before the weekend and a make-or-break” summit for European leaders next week.

Mr Varadkar, who is due to hold talks with Mr Johnson as soon as tomorrow, has said that reaching a new Brexit agreement in time for the forthcoming EU summit would be “very difficult” and noted that the EU would not accept a deal at “any cost”.

“There are some fundamental objectives that haven’t changed for the past three years and we need them guaranteed,” he told RTE news. “I think it is going to be very difficult to secure an agreement by next week, quite frankly.

“Essentially what the United Kingdom has done is repudiate the deal that we negotiated in good faith with prime minister May’s government over two years and sort of put half of that now back on the table and are saying, ‘That’s a concession’. And of course it isn’t really.”

It's an interesting proposal but sadly I fear it's been offered in the expectation that it can't get through parliament.

In which case its actually the first irritating thing the EU have done. It legitimizes Johnson's approach by making it look like he's achieved something with his No Deal threat, and pushes the "blame" onto a remainer parliament.

In fact it could potentially get through. The Tory rebels would be back onside. Along with the Labour rebels..

I think we might be fucked if they offer this.

Edited by Rayvin

The DUP and Sinn Fein have both rejected it.

In other news, the Scottish Court has delayed a decision on ordering Johnson to send the letter/ruling that someone else can send it until 21st October. 

Basically the dickhead now has a gun to his head - either you obey the law and send it, or come Monday 21st the courts will take control. 

Edited by Gemmill

13 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

In fact it could potentially get through. The Tory rebels would be back onside. Along with the Labour rebels..

I think we might be fucked if they offer this.

‘We’?