Europe --- In or Out

Christmas Tree

Europe?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, Renton said:

Doesn't access to EU databases ultimately require ECJ supervision? Can't be having any of that foreign nonsense now can we? 

Otherwise supervision of extradition requests to transfer criminals to the UK will be solely down to foreign courts. There is no benefit to this.

I do make us of the European arrest warrant several times every year and it does make things a lot easier.

1 hour ago, Isegrim said:

Otherwise supervision of extradition requests to transfer criminals to the UK will be solely down to foreign courts. There is no benefit to this.

I do make us of the European arrest warrant several times every year and it does make things a lot easier.

Isegrim's a Euro cop, eh? Here he is with his partner, and also his lover.....

dutch_police.jpg

• Haha 5

48 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

50,000 new form fillers. Who said Brexit wouldn’t boost employment? It’s giving birth to new growth industries 

When I worked for a law firm in Birmingham the first thing I was told was that if I ever thought German bureaucracy was bad I would be in for a shock...

Devil's advocate - have the EU actually done what he says? I actually think they might have. It's only recently that this stuff about the UK being different to Canada because it's 'a competitor on their doorstep' has entered the conversation.

Now yes, obviously, we saw this coming - they have to protect their own interests, etc etc. Fine, no problem with that - but they have undeniably changed their position even so. Which is giving right wing rags like the Telegraph ammunition. I wonder if, by the end of this, the gutter press will have turned the whole country against the EU.

They always had the caveat that the staircase diagram was for illustrative purposes only but they were always after a LPF commitment which is why it's in the PD. It's not conceivable that there will be a trade deal struck without LPF agreements. I think it's going to come down to whether the restrictions are dynamic or non-regressive and who adjudicates on any disputes.

43 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I wonder if, by the end of this, the gutter press will have turned the whole country against the EU.

Of course they will have (tried, at least) - it's always been the long game.

31 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Fair enough then. Obviously we can't let the ECJ handle any disputes (for many well thought out and robust reasons), so that's presumably no deal for us.

There's nothing to say that disputes have to be handled by the ECJ. A new trade dispute resolution body can be established. Who sits on the panel though will be an area of disagreement.

59 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Devil's advocate - have the EU actually done what he says? I actually think they might have. It's only recently that this stuff about the UK being different to Canada because it's 'a competitor on their doorstep' has entered the conversation.

Now yes, obviously, we saw this coming - they have to protect their own interests, etc etc. Fine, no problem with that - but they have undeniably changed their position even so. Which is giving right wing rags like the Telegraph ammunition. I wonder if, by the end of this, the gutter press will have turned the whole country against the EU.

As ewerk says, I dont think a Canada no strings attached was ever offered. For obvious reasons, see the graph below. 9f course even with a LPF there will still be friction so this type of FTA is no good for us.

Also, I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Hannan was an advocate of staying in the EEA. He's gone from that to no deal? Who's changing the goal posts in reality here? 

ec.jpg

• Like 1

The government is refusing to guarantee remaining in the ECHR, whose signatories include literally every other country in Europe including Russia and Turkey.

This is extremely worrying on the direction we are heading, one without fundamentalhuman rights seemingly. It will make any trade deals with the EU nigh on impossible and will further undermine the GFA.

It should be headline news but instead will hardly make copy I bet. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Renton said:

The government is refusing to guarantee remaining in the ECHR, whose signatories include literally every other country in Europe including Russia and Turkey.

This is extremely worrying on the direction we are heading, one without fundamentalhuman rights seemingly. It will make any trade deals with the EU nigh on impossible and will further undermine the GFA.

It should be headline news but instead will hardly make copy I bet. 

The likes of the ERG have completely won if that’s the position. 50 or so swivel eyed loons. It’s scarcely believable how far  backwards we’re going. 

Edited by PaddockLad