Europe --- In or Out

Christmas Tree

Europe?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So, Johnson once again reiterating he will not extend the transition period, despite the impossibly short time frame being further set back because of the coronavirus crisis making face to face meetings impossible. We're leaving ESEA and Reach for literally no sane reason other than "sovereignty". And I was hearing earlier that the EMA will block purchase any vaccines to coronavirus that become available, so we'll be behind them in the queue, becauseof Johnson. The future is looking so bright. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, ewerk said:

TBF Johnson Snr was a remainer but since then has proven himself to be as amoral as his son.

Johnson Jnr was a remainer too

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

So the Prime Minister is in ICU, his point man is currently isolating and both chief negotiators have had coronavirus but we’re still pressing ahead with this madness.

I've read some opinion that they may just be stalling turning around on it until June/July since they don't actually have to make the decision yet. But honestly it wouldn't surprise me is they press ahead regardless. And if they do that, then actually, maybe they know something we don't and it's not going to be as bad as we think. I can't fathom why any government would continue otherwise, it makes no logical sense.

2 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

I'm not going to pretend I'm anywhere near as well read as the author of this piece with respect of the imperial connotations of Johnson's thinking, but it basically supports what I was saying in the coronavirus thread. Covid is a serious threat to free trade between countries and wider globalisation.

Really informative article.

• Like 1

And I really hope it means Brexit is indeed fucked. Can't quite bring myself to believe that in a meaningful sense though. 

Edited by Rayvin

8 hours ago, Rayvin said:

I've read some opinion that they may just be stalling turning around on it until June/July since they don't actually have to make the decision yet. But honestly it wouldn't surprise me is they press ahead regardless. And if they do that, then actually, maybe they know something we don't and it's not going to be as bad as we think. I can't fathom why any government would continue otherwise, it makes no logical sense.

The only logical reason could be to bluff and force as many concessions as they can from the EU before switching tack and triggering the extension.

• 1 month later...

Theresa May fiercely rejected a text drawn up by the European Commission, declaring: "No UK prime minister could ever agree to it."

The prime minister told MPs that the paper - which proposes a "common regulatory area" between the EU and Northern Ireland - would "threaten the constitutional integrity of the UK" by creating a border down the Irish Sea.

Well we can add this to the list of things she was wrong about.

• Haha 2