Europe --- In or Out

Christmas Tree

Europe?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, Gemmill said:

I reckon there'll still be a deal. 

We've ran out of time for anything but the most basic deal. Chaos at the borders are almost guaranteed, in January, during a deadly pandemic. It really is time to start stockpiling. Can I have your pasta since you don't eat carbs any more? 

It’s looking like a great Xmas. It’s fucking crazy how they’ve backed themselves into this corner. The deadline was tight anyway, then COVID gave them an out in terms of an extension without losing face. So they bring their own deadline forward instead whilst all the while acting in such an unreasonable manner as to make a deal almost impossible for the EU to agree to. 

2 minutes ago, Alex said:

It’s looking like a great Xmas. It’s fucking crazy how they’ve backed themselves into this corner. The deadline was tight anyway, then COVID gave them an out in terms of an extension without losing face. So they bring their own deadline forward instead whilst all the while acting in such an unreasonable manner as to make a deal almost impossible for the EU to agree to. 

Almost like it is deliberate.... 

To what end though? Not saying it isn’t but you would think it’s political suicide. Although I’ve thought that before with these cockroaches 

6 minutes ago, Alex said:

To what end though? Not saying it isn’t but you would think it’s political suicide. Although I’ve thought that before with these cockroaches 

Honestly, I think it could just be as simple as the top tories gaining personally through shorting etc? Maybe Cummings is literally mad and Johnson no more than his pawn? I dunno, its impossible to get into the mindset of these traitors who are wrecking the country. Surely the breakup of the UK is almost guaranteed now. 

• Like 2

Is Boris Johnson now, finally, surpassing Cameron as the shittest Prime Minister in history?

He's an irresponsible trainwreck of a human being before we ever get close to his abilities as a minister.

Just now, Rayvin said:

Is Boris Johnson now, finally, surpassing Cameron as the shittest Prime Minister in history?

He's an irresponsible trainwreck of a human being before we ever get close to his abilities as a minister.

Surely he was always ahead? He's our Trump. 

Just now, Renton said:

Surely he was always ahead? He's our Trump. 

Cameron starting all of this in the first place was one of the greatest acts of incompetence that I've ever witnessed, politically speaking. Including everything Chris Grayling has ever done.

Boris has only been PM for about 18 months, he hadn't racked up a fiasco quite on that level (IMO) in that time - even with COVID which, again, is at least partially at Cameron's door for underfunding the NHS for a decade anyway. He now has. I cannot imagine ever again in British history will an elected official do as much damage to the country as Johnson has now managed, even allowing for Cameron having ultimately started it.

I wonder, probably more with desperate hope than anything else, if the EU have privately acknowledged that they would be willing to compromise on something small, and that Johnson has asked them to tee him up for a bit of grandstanding in order to sell it on the home front.

Barnier travels to London tomorrow, agrees something minor, Boris gets to claim that the EU came grovelling back to the door and he had them over a barrel as the great mastermind he is, no one cares about the details, the EU go home happy to have gotten everything they wanted minus one very small thing, and the UK believes the whole thing was an example of British strength.

That's the only play I can imagine.

23 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Cameron starting all of this in the first place was one of the greatest acts of incompetence that I've ever witnessed, politically speaking. Including everything Chris Grayling has ever done.

Boris has only been PM for about 18 months, he hadn't racked up a fiasco quite on that level (IMO) in that time - even with COVID which, again, is at least partially at Cameron's door for underfunding the NHS for a decade anyway. He now has. I cannot imagine ever again in British history will an elected official do as much damage to the country as Johnson has now managed, even allowing for Cameron having ultimately started it.

Depending on your definition of Britain that might not be very long.

2 hours ago, Rayvin said:

I wonder, probably more with desperate hope than anything else, if the EU have privately acknowledged that they would be willing to compromise on something small, and that Johnson has asked them to tee him up for a bit of grandstanding in order to sell it on the home front.

Barnier travels to London tomorrow, agrees something minor, Boris gets to claim that the EU came grovelling back to the door and he had them over a barrel as the great mastermind he is, no one cares about the details, the EU go home happy to have gotten everything they wanted minus one very small thing, and the UK believes the whole thing was an example of British strength.

That's the only play I can imagine.

A Canada deal is shit for us man. Why are you hoping for something that will do fuck all for us but that Johnson can sell as a win? I think the best thing for this country is to suffer a disaster unfortunately. 

Even then it fucks the ones who sell most of their catch to Spain, France etc. It’s just another ridiculous attempt to look like we’re being strong / taking back control. Plus fishing has changed loads since the heyday of places like Hull. And most people wouldn’t want the jobs anyway. Other than that it makes perfect sense 

• Like 1

I think their probably are some genuine grievances in the fishing industry against the EU. Most is misdirected though as nobody forced us to sell our quotas like we did everything else under Thatcher. We should have fought our corner from within, but Farage missed 95% of his fishing meetings. Brexit without a deal won't help the fishing industry one jot, it will destroy it. And take down our services, manufacturing,  and agriculture with it. For the sake of 0.1% GDP. 

Edited by Renton

16 hours ago, Renton said:

A Canada deal is shit for us man. Why are you hoping for something that will do fuck all for us but that Johnson can sell as a win? I think the best thing for this country is to suffer a disaster unfortunately. 

I don't I guess, maybe you're right.

My only hope now is that big business makes a success of the no deal in spite of the government and certainly not because of it, Engineering in the North East is pretty healthy just now (god knows how) and it would be a criminal act to spoil that so Boris looks hard.

Listening to a government propaganda ad on the radio this morning, telling business to get ready and that there was lots to do but not much time. How can anyone think this was a good idea? None of this would have been necessary had people just ticked remain. And nobody gave a shit about the EU before the ERG stoked up the gammons.

At best this is loads of hassle for no advantage, at worst its an existential threat for where industry and service that exports to the EU. I honestly can't see how its not the latter. 

Edited by Renton