Europe --- In or Out

Christmas Tree

Europe?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

11 hours ago, Meenzer said:

Honestly, these people are incapable of anything but self-owns, both big and small. It's incessant. How the fuck are they in charge? :lol:

Martin, we've been over this. Britain is stupid. British people are, on the whole, moronic.

All the right wing cunts on Twitter etc banging on about it are exactly the same. Whereby the consequences of Brexit, a totally avoidable, self inflicted national economic disaster can’t be questioned unless you’re a traitor. 

Of course, buried away in there are some things we do need to address eventually - if we're serious about tackling climate change etc. then we need to get back to eating more of what's local to us, and as a relentlessly consumerist nation drowning in household debt, it'd serve us well to learn that sometimes there are things we just can't have - but I'd rather it didn't take wrecking the economy and chucking away a generation's future to get people eating mackerel again. 🤷‍♀️

All this talk of fish is a red herring. We're talking around 0.1% of UK GDP so it's clearly a distraction. Some policy wonk decided even the most braindead brexiteer understands what a fish is. The real issue is LPF. Fish might be sold as some kind of victory if we have to make more significant concessions elsewhere. 

4 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

All this talk of fish is a red herring. We're talking around 0.1% of UK GDP so it's clearly a distraction. Some policy wonk decided even the most braindead brexiteer understands what a fish is. The real issue is LPF. Fish might be sold as some kind of victory if we have to make more significant concessions elsewhere. 

There something on BBC news the other week about this fishing bollocks. They were at Hull or Grimsby or some other shit hole and the gist of it was that it used to be a huge industry employing loads of people and it could be again (more or less the exact words used to end the piece). It’s absolutely fucking shameless bullshit falling into the realms of pro-government/Brexit propaganda. Huge trawlers can operate with small crews, it’s shit work most people wouldn’t want to do, if they breach the quotas and bring in huge hauls then the prices would crash even if the European markets would buy them (which they wouldn’t, in retaliation for doing that), the quotas are the only thing keeping the industry remotely sustainable and that’s just off the top of my head. It’s absolute madness. 

5 hours ago, Isegrim said:

I made that point recently about any gains being made being more than outweighed due to the amount of fish sold to other countries in the EU. 

10 hours ago, Ant said:

You still on any of this? Some of the stuff I've seen/heard recently is bonkers

I’m still working on EU transition and the Covid response but working remotely means I miss all that grapevine stuff I picked up in Whitehall. Which is a shame because it was always entertaining to hear snippets of what people thought about the likes of Give and Patel. The canteen is a miss too. But to answer your question it’s more stuff I’ve read up on but I was always aware the Scots fishing for langoustines (for example) sent most of their catch to places like Spain. The whole fishing issue is just gammon appeasement which makes it appropriate since that’s all Brexit is at the end of the day 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Isegrim said:

This plaice is really becoming too perpetual.

You’ve both been salmoned to a herring for that codswallop (too much?) 

7 minutes ago, Alex said:

I’m still working on EU transition and the Covid response but working remotely means I miss all that grapevine stuff I picked up in Whitehall. Which is a shame because it was always entertaining to hear snippets of what people thought about the likes of Give and Patel. The canteen is a miss too. But to answer your question it’s more stuff I’ve read up on but I was always aware the Scots fishing for langoustines (for example) sent most of their catch to places like Spain. The whole fishing issue is just gammon appeasement which makes it appropriate since that’s all Brexit is at the end of the day 

Aye, the head of the Scottish Fishing Federation (or something like that) was on Politics Live yesterday and spent most of the time repeating the phrase 'independent coastal nation' while saying that the issue of trade in fish should be totally separate to fishing rights. Completely detached from reality like most Brexiteers and Tories.

• Like 1

Just now, ewerk said:

Aye, the head of the Scottish Fishing Federation (or something like that) was on Politics Live yesterday and spent most of the time repeating the phrase 'independent coastal nation' while saying that the issue of trade in fish should be totally separate to fishing rights. Completely detached from reality like most Brexiteers and Tories.

Aye, because those two things aren’t linked :lol: fuck me gently