Europe --- In or Out

Christmas Tree

Europe?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

27 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

What are the tariffs likely to be? Is it an across the board figure or variable depending on specifics?

sounds like they vary sector by sector, according to this explainer on the beeb:

What happens if there's no trade deal?

The UK would have to trade with the EU on WTO rules - at least, initially.

In this scenario, the EU would impose its tariffs on imported UK goods.

The average EU tariff is pretty low (about 2.8% for non-agricultural products) but in some sectors tariffs can be quite high.

Cars would be taxed at 10% with some agricultural tariffs higher still - rising to an average of more than 35% for dairy products.

This would have a big impact on UK businesses selling their goods to the EU.

• Like 1

Sadly I think the huge kick in the nads is what the country needs. Some leavers will never accept they’re wrong but enough floating voters (or selfish cunts as I like to call them) only care about their own prosperity. Something that makes them significantly worse off will be reflected at the next election 

8 hours ago, Rayvin said:

I mean, sometimes you tell yourself that Johnson is just act, and that the real man isn't as fucking useless as he seems to be, but then you read stuff like this and realise that the only thing that makes you think he's pretending to be a buffoon is that it's simply inconceivable that a man this fucking stupid is running the country.

69696A42-976E-4E55-A69A-875FAEBDFA23.jpeg.9b708a1384b6a069bee4c95e6263a857.jpeg

I've got some money saved to buy a new exhaust for my bike. £1000 ish

I don't want to buy it now in case I get fucked over with a bill for 20% VAT when it arrives after January 1st and customs decide the vat paid on it in Italy no longer counts 

But if I leave it until the new year the £ will potentially drop 20% against the € anyway meaning I still get fucked over.

You can x this issue by a thousand fold for any businesses that are currently trading into and out of the EU. Everyone is being told to prepare for Brexit but it's fucking impossible unless they know what they are preparing for. It's going to be an absolute clusterfuck 

Edited by Kid Dynamite

I wouldn't worry, house price inflation is basically all we have left to kid ourselves into thinking we're a productive economy, so it's also the one thing every government will protect to the last. And it's not like interest rates are going up any time soon, if ever again. :lol:  

4 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Have you been incited into this rash act by the stamp duty holiday Gloom? :D

No. We had to move to get our kid into the catchment area for secondary school. Terrible timing 

4 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

I wouldn't worry, house price inflation is basically all we have left to kid ourselves into thinking we're a productive economy, so it's also the one thing every government will protect to the last. And it's not like interest rates are going up any time soon, if ever again. :lol:  

I dunno, I keep reading we might be entering a new inflationary period then waking up in the night in a cold sweat. 

I'd be curious to know how many people are still backing No Deal tbh. Is it still around the 40% mark or have they been shaken yet?

Was polled by Yougov earlier so I'm guessing that there'll be some data on this in the coming days.

Edited by Rayvin

What does everyone think? Brinkmanship or are the Brits actually going for no deal?

I always believed common sense would prevail. It is in nobody’s interest to erect trade barriers. It’s going to be shite for the EU, even worse for us. A failure of statecraft on both sides. And yet both sides seem be boxed into a corner. How do we reach a compromise from here without another extension, which doesn’t exactly chime with getting Brexit  done?

I think we're going for no deal frankly. Even acknowledging the fact that as per the tweet further up, it makes absolutely no sense to do so, it also doesn't make any sense for brinkmanship to be a factor at this stage. I mean, what would we be trying to get?