Europe --- In or Out

Christmas Tree

Europe?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

They haven’t even negotiated the service industry bit yet. You know, the part that makes up most of the economy. That’s going to fucking smart when the EU play hardball over that. We couldn’t even get a deal that satisfies the fishing industry after all the symbolic posturing over that minuscule industry. 

Iain Duncan Smith, former leader of the Conservative party, spoke of the joy of Eurosceptics that the Brexit saga had reached its conclusion. “I just wish I was 21 again,” he told the BBC. “My goodness what prospects lie ahead of us for young people now: to be out there buccaneering, trading, dominating the world again.”

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

Iain Duncan Smith, former leader of the Conservative party, spoke of the joy of Eurosceptics that the Brexit saga had reached its conclusion. “I just wish I was 21 again,” he told the BBC. “My goodness what prospects lie ahead of us for young people now: to be out there buccaneering, trading, dominating the world again.”

This is the saddest part of the whole thing in some ways - to have had this imposed on us by people who are clearly so ill informed about the consequences and what it all means to people living outside their ridiculous bubbles.

Buccaneering ffs.

• Like 1

It takes a special combination of arrogance and stupidity to declare that there is no Irish Sea border while linking to an article by a journalist who has literally spent the day watching lorries going through border checks.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, ewerk said:

It takes a special combination of arrogance and stupidity to declare that there is no Irish Sea border while linking to an article by a journalist who has literally spent the day watching lorries going through border checks.

It's policy to just spout bollocks so often it that people can't keep up with the lies or are quite happy to report the lies and say nothing. There was even that West Sussex, (of somewhere like it) conservative party magazine stating how they could bullshit and it would be forgotten if everyone kept bullshitting on a regular basis. I'm pretty sure the idea didn't originate at some minor home counties conservative club meeting?

• Like 2

Has anybody tried buying goods from the EU recently? I'm getting shipping charges of up to 20% on some things, some sites are also refusing to deliver to the NI specifically or UK as a whole. Is this temporary or from now on? Oh  and as well as having to pay 4 times the visitor tax on my holiday to Italy this year (covid permitting), I understand I will need 4 visa waivers? Fucking extra hassle and cost I don't recall on the side of a bus. Cheers CT.

Oh, and this. Predicts the complete collapse of the UK supply chain. Seems plausible to me, hope its wrong obviously.

I ordered a couple of things today and, before buying, got a notification that the courier would contact me separately to arrange for the payment of 2.5% customs duties of the total cost as it was above £135.

I did two separate orders instead as neither item was greater than £135.

I was confused that it was customs, as thought we had 0% tariffs on all goods. Which i think we have. But as I've said many times before, non tariff barriers are a bigger problem and nothing has been done to relieve these. So from now on, if you want to import anything from the EU as a company or individual, you have to pay extra costs due to administration, regulatory checks, and extra shipping costs. Phytosanitary checks will add a lot to foodstuffs, although i didn't think we had them on this side. Also stuff to do with VAT which I admittedly don't understand.

I think many people will notice this stuff very soon and we will inevitably suffer inflation. 

2 hours ago, Ant said:

I reckon I can probably talk about this a bit more now (in relation to the import and export of goods and animal/retail stuff), and how much of a fucking shambles the mainland civil service in comparison to us are.

Can't be arsed going back through all the pages/don't have time but i've been over the delivery of all the NI technical stuff for the export (see the previous two no deal hassle) and imports (this one)

So if you've questions on the certificates/process and whatnot quote this and i'll try answer them as simply as possible, as it's a fucking minefield of complexity and everything else political relating to it

(and yes it is odd being considered to be matrue enough to be providing decisions/opinions on this stuff while still posting about how much i hate michael owen :lol: )

The easiest way to look at it is, the eu members have agreements between each other  with controls in place about food/animal safety

someone who isn;t a member needs to agree what they do and other stuff

they have to do extra bits to prove the animal, the ham sandwich, pepporoni pizza, flowers. plant from b&q etc is good to go

vets/inspectors sign the proof

a. they cost money £££

b. each thing that needs a cert  £

an asda lorry has many things all of which need A & B for each thing

is a box of cheese that nets them £profit worth doing a&b for if it costs ££ , no

+ customs charging differences

-deals are also struck that only X% of things will be checked on a certain volume

e.g Australia (randomly chosen non eu country here just for arguments sake)

they  strike a deal with the eu that a big lorry of beef for example goes all together in one container normally 700 boxes, when it sends it and because they proved they're excellent at food safety

-, 1% of these containers  will have a % of the Boxes fully checked (boxes lifted off, a steak defrosted, tested for disease and that it is what it's meant to be (beef)

- 10%  of the lorrys will have a % of the boxes just  eyeballed (aye it looks like beef)

- 100% will be document checked, document says beef, Xweight , seal on the sealed metal container is intact and matches what the seal id is on the forms

The UK is now in that non-eu barrel without the agreements of something like the above

and having to send "containers" of mixed things not just beef, but the asda lorries etc to an eu member in huge numbers weekly.

When you put it like that it makes Brexit sound worthwhile after all. Good job everyone. 

23 hours ago, Renton said:

Has anybody tried buying goods from the EU recently? I'm getting shipping charges of up to 20% on some things, some sites are also refusing to deliver to the NI specifically or UK as a whole. Is this temporary or from now on? Oh  and as well as having to pay 4 times the visitor tax on my holiday to Italy this year (covid permitting), I understand I will need 4 visa waivers? Fucking extra hassle and cost I don't recall on the side of a bus. Cheers CT.

Oh, and this. Predicts the complete collapse of the UK supply chain. Seems plausible to me, hope its wrong obviously.

Hobbyist pedal builder here, was buying all my aluminium enclosures from a UK middleman (that they sourced from a Belgian company) until recently. In November the UK guys hiked up their prices by 40%, forced me to bulk buy more than I ever really needed direct from the Belgian supplier. Hurt my wallet at the time (never had to buy in bulk like that before) and nearly caused a full on domestic when my missus saw the invoice. Only regret now is that I didn't buy more, been watching prices and I couldn't even get them from the far east for that price.

I only half saw it coming whereas the British middleman clearly saw it a mile off. Its only a hobby for me but just puts it into perspective how bad things could get. 

Was all part of the plan though wasn't it? Buy a copy of Moggs book on how to profit during a recession, watch the wealth gap grow and turn your nose up at anyone less well off. 

A business I'm working with has just been hit with customs forms for trying to ship to a customer in Northern Ireland. Most couriers now won't take up the service, there's only one who will (Hermes) and they need paperwork for 'international shipping'.

Possibly shipping to NI simply won't be possible in the long run.

Edited by Rayvin