Europe --- In or Out

Christmas Tree

Europe?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 04/01/2021 at 20:11, Ant said:

I reckon I can probably talk about this a bit more now (in relation to the import and export of goods and animal/retail stuff), and how much of a fucking shambles the mainland civil service in comparison to us are.

Can't be arsed going back through all the pages/don't have time but i've been over the delivery of all the NI technical stuff for the export (see the previous two no deal hassle) and imports (this one)

So if you've questions on the certificates/process and whatnot quote this and i'll try answer them as simply as possible, as it's a fucking minefield of complexity and everything else political relating to it

(and yes it is odd being considered to be matrue enough to be providing decisions/opinions on this stuff while still posting about how much i hate michael owen :lol: )

The easiest way to look at it is, the eu members have agreements between each other  with controls in place about food/animal safety

someone who isn;t a member needs to agree what they do and other stuff

they have to do extra bits to prove the animal, the ham sandwich, pepporoni pizza, flowers. plant from b&q etc is good to go

vets/inspectors sign the proof

a. they cost money £££

b. each thing that needs a cert  £

an asda lorry has many things all of which need A & B for each thing

is a box of cheese that nets them £profit worth doing a&b for if it costs ££ , no

+ customs charging differences

-deals are also struck that only X% of things will be checked on a certain volume

e.g Australia (randomly chosen non eu country here just for arguments sake)

they  strike a deal with the eu that a big lorry of beef for example goes all together in one container normally 700 boxes, when it sends it and because they proved they're excellent at food safety

-, 1% of these containers  will have a % of the Boxes fully checked (boxes lifted off, a steak defrosted, tested for disease and that it is what it's meant to be (beef)

- 10%  of the lorrys will have a % of the boxes just  eyeballed (aye it looks like beef)

- 100% will be document checked, document says beef, Xweight , seal on the sealed metal container is intact and matches what the seal id is on the forms

The UK is now in that non-eu barrel without the agreements of something like the above

and having to send "containers" of mixed things not just beef, but the asda lorries etc to an eu member in huge numbers weekly.

TLDR

• Haha 1

On 02/01/2021 at 08:45, ewerk said:

It takes a special combination of arrogance and stupidity to declare that there is no Irish Sea border while linking to an article by a journalist who has literally spent the day watching lorries going through border checks.

I’m just out of Tesco and their frozen section is about 2/3 empty. No Irish Sea border my arse.

it's what they voted for

We're fresh out of fresh food! Supermarket shelves are hit by Brexit port chaos and staff shortages as stores start to run low on fruit and veg

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9132689/Supermarket-shelves-hit-Brexit-port-chaos-staff-shortages-stores-run-low-fruit-veg.html?ito=amp_twitter_share-top

image.png.68f259f5d94bc4e291cf06f9eae582ce.png

While you'd have to say there's some merit in the principle - given that globalisation trends are a big part of what drives Brexit/right-wing populism, and nowadays there's obviously a strong environmental case for producing as much as possible at home - if what Redwood says had ever been the true aim of Brexit then they'd have started working on this stuff the day after the referendum. Since the beautiful British countryside doesn't appear to have been turned into vast swathes of polytunnels and greenhouses like you see when you travel between cities in the Netherlands, however, I can only assume this to be yet more bullshit to appease gullible fantasists.

It's bullshit. The UK doesn't have the space or climate to be self sufficient in foodstuffs. Makes sense to import from neighbouring countries, not different continents. As for manufacturing, more bullshit. Our domestic market is too small for the complexities of modern supply chains. Plus we have next to no natural resources so have to import raw materials anyway, who pays for that? Being in the EEA gave us a domestic market of 500 million with supply chains spanning countries, we are fucked without that.

We've fucked highe end manufacturing and services. We've even managed to fuck up fish. Genius.