Europe --- In or Out

Christmas Tree

Europe?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Theres a Newlyn fish merchant on LBC at the moment annihilating Brexit...he was a remainer, told all his colleagues it would be a shit show and was promptly told all that was project fear :lol:

People have been fucked over. A lot of folk are inherently given to believing someone who appeals to their base level instincts ie believing what they want to  beleive. The leaders of the Brexit completely understood this and completely exploited it .  James O'brien says we should have sympathy for the conned and contempt for the conmen. Not sure that's any consolation to the fishermen or those with ruined lives because of brexit who voted remain. 

• Like 3

I think on top of that, there's a real lack of willingness among Brexit voters to accept that they just aren't as informed as other people. It's almost like they see it as a threat to their sense of self. You tend to hear a lot of these people disparaging university/higher education as a waste of time (and it really can be) but for the majority of people who go there, it's the diversity of opinion that you're surrounded by that really helps you to better inform yourself - and this isn't an opportunity that's easy to come by outside of learning institutions IMO.

My Mum never went to uni and she frequently harps on about how she was educated in the 'school of life' and how people shouldn't look down on her for it - and honestly, no one does look down on her, it's all in her head - but the belief that they do makes her double down on the weirdest fucking issues, without any idea of what constitutes proper evidence or a reasoned argument. I've met quite a few people like this over the course of my life so I don't think it's just her - and it would be fine except that it's coupled with this belief that their opinion is somehow as valid as that of someone who is informed about an issue. And it just isn't. Not all opinions are created equal.

She didn't vote for Brexit fwiw but probably only because of the concerns of all of her children. She does however believe that Boris Johnson is a capable man, that trans people are a threat to women in public bathrooms, and that people intentionally get sent to prison so that they can sit around all day playing video games.

Edited by Rayvin
  • Like 1

On 14/01/2021 at 23:05, Meenzer said:

Bio: "Proud British 🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧 Hate nationalism, love my kids .BLM=Marxism". Profile pic: Football club badge.

Also this. :lol: 

• Haha 3

My next door neighbour is a lorry driver who brings over fresh fish from France. He was saying that there's a time threshold on the delivery for the fish to still count as fresh that's under 24 hours from the time of catching it. Apparently it's now taking 2 days to process things through customs which is compromising this standard. He also told me that what was once a 3 day round trip is now a 5 day one - I don't know which way he voted or if he did at all, but he thinks they'll have to change it or whole industries are going to collapse.

I mean he's just a lorry driver in the end, but I'm assuming he's pretty familiar with the product he and his colleagues are shipping, and what the requirements are.

20 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

My next door neighbour is a lorry driver who brings over fresh fish from France. He was saying that there's a time threshold on the delivery for the fish to still count as fresh that's under 24 hours from the time of catching it. Apparently it's now taking 2 days to process things through customs which is compromising this standard. He also told me that what was once a 3 day round trip is now a 5 day one - I don't know which way he voted or if he did at all, but he thinks they'll have to change it or whole industries are going to collapse.

I mean he's just a lorry driver in the end, but I'm assuming he's pretty familiar with the product he and his colleagues are shipping, and what the requirements are.

Lot's of drivers are paid by the "Km travelled" sitting not moving for 2 extra days is not an incentive ;)

The salaried one's companies will just pass on those extra costs.

Saw something yesterday where drivers were complaining that their allowed hours driving expired whilst waiting for the check's to be done and they had no-where to go, their tachographs will log they were driving illegally if they move on.

Utter carnage.

1 minute ago, Toonpack said:

Lot's of drivers are paid by the "Km travelled" sitting not moving for 2 extra days is not an incentive ;)

The salaried one's companies will just pass on those extra costs.

Saw something yesterday where drivers were complaining that their allowed hours driving expired whilst waiting for the check's to be done and they had no-where to go, their tachographs will log they were driving illegally if they move on.

Utter carnage.

Conversely I have heard many European hauliers (which make up 85% of personnel involved with UK EU freight movement) are paid per job. If they are stuck for days in a covid infested Kent lorry park they won't get paid. Many will just sack it off. What then? 

2 minutes ago, Renton said:

Conversely I have heard many European hauliers (which make up 85% of personnel involved with UK EU freight movement) are paid per job. If they are stuck for days in a covid infested Kent lorry park they won't get paid. Many will just sack it off. What then? 

Then we eat turnips and beetroot

(per job rate will likely be calculated on distance to travel I reckon).

3 day jobs taking 5 near on 40% reduction in their earning potential.

Edited by Toonpack

3 minutes ago, NJS said:

I read the Falklands are fucked as well - they sell 60% of their fish to the EU and now face tariffs. 

Maybe they can do what Gibraltar has done and join Schenghen! 🤪

17 minutes ago, ewerk said:

No cherry picking!

Plus there would still have to be some checks and paperwork to ensure that what is in the lorry is what is stated.

Aye, these are not teething issues, these are intractable issues caused by leaving the single market which we will have to live with forever. It will make our exports unattractive, our imports expensive, and as for services...

Without watching more than about 10 seconds of that video, surely that infers leaving the EU had made illegal immigration worse. As for the patter about the fishing industry, they’re fucked. In 5 years time they’ll still be fucked 

10 minutes ago, Tom said:

I have never met a person in my entire life that makes their living fishing. 

I have :) - My ex neighbour (15 years ago) was a salmon fisherman (out of Blyth) one small coble type boat all sold locally