Europe --- In or Out

Christmas Tree

Europe?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The guardian has a more detailed article on the Nissan situation. The supply chain problems are being caused by global shortages of computer chips due to problems producing them, rather than import issues.

Also, Nissan are claiming that Brexit has delivered them a competitive advantage because the deal sets out that from 2027, car batteries for all EU/UK cars will need to be produced in the EU or UK. Nissan happens to have a car battery plant right next door to it that supplies it exclusively. So that's allegedly their advantage over everyone else. What I'm confused about is what difference Brexit has made to this (I assume this battery policy is actually an EU directive) unless the UK government were the ones who insisted on it.

Edited by Rayvin
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Renton said:

Because there was an entire campaign lying saying the opposite which were more convincing? Partly because the media, collectively and individually, didnt do their job? Take the bus, the media fact checked the £350 million figure was an exaggerated gross figure rather than a net figure. Fine. But who gives a fuck whether its 350 or 200 million, it still sounds like a fortune either way. What the media never explained was that the loss of trade outweighed this by at least a magnitude, or that the payment to the EU amounted to a cup of costa a week each. Amd they rarely explained the benefits of membership (Remain also failed spectacularly on this score). 

The bloke made the wrong choice but has had the humility to admit it. I can respect that. You need to embrace the prodigal son to move forward. This guy isn't to blame, he was conned along with millions of others. The people to blame are the corrupt politicians and the media who were complicit in their lies. 

That £350m figure was immediately debunked by the other side, which put out plenty of its own scary warnings about the economic hit we would take. Brexit Fisherman chose to believe the wrong side. I'd feel sorry and pity for him if his stupid vote only affected him and his family. But it doesn't, does it? It affects me, you and our kids.

Large sections of the media did vote leave’s work for them. I just get irritated (and admittedly defensive) by lazy claims that the media is a single entity when a sizeable chunk of it did the opposite.

I am disappointed with the beeb too. They played their part in this. I just have less sympathy now for the people who fucked us all over with their votes than I had right after the referendum.  People had a lot of time to figure this all out - two elections on top of the referendum. 

And the reason the likes of the Mail and the Sun exist is because there is a demand for it. English exceptionalism runs deep. A nationalist campaign appealed to more people in the country than I felt comfortable admitting existed. Were they sold a lie? Undoubtedly. But they lapped it up despite mounting evidence of the dangers and that’s on them.

Anyway, I’ll leave it there. I had a few glasses of wine last night and was feeling argumentative. I don’t think we actually disagree a great deal. I just have become increasingly embittered with the majority of people who believed the bullshit and voted to put us here. 

Edited by Dr Gloom
  • Like 1

Yeah, I'm struggling to have sympathy for the people who voted leave. Yes, they were lied to, but the slightest amount of critical thinking and common sense would have shown the claims by the Leave campaign to be bullshit. 

Part of me is actually enjoying the steady stream of regret coming from Leave voters. 

Let's not kid ourselves that the odd leave voter here or there lamenting the situation is representative of all of them. I'd wager that same 40% that vote Tory still fundamentally believe this is a downside free exercise in reclaiming sovereignty.

• Like 2

As usual you have to factor in the proportion of tory voters who are over 65 so don't  give a fuck about businesses or even the economic prospects of their children/grandchildren. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rayvin said:

The guardian has a more detailed article on the Nissan situation. The supply chain problems are being caused by global shortages of computer chips due to problems producing them, rather than import issues.

Also, Nissan are claiming that Brexit has delivered them a competitive advantage because the deal sets out that from 2027, car batteries for all EU/UK cars will need to be produced in the EU or UK. Nissan happens to have a car battery plant right next door to it that supplies it exclusively. So that's allegedly their advantage over everyone else. What I'm confused about is what difference Brexit has made to this (I assume this battery policy is actually an EU directive) unless the UK government were the ones who insisted on it.

It's not Brexit benefit, Nissan would have had the same benefits 8n the EU. Brexit will still impact thir JIT supply chain but I'm guessing they've done the sums and the removal of tariffs keeps them competitive, plus the deal keeps us in close alignment in regulation in this sector. It still would have been better for them had we not left though.

What I'm hoping is that "success" stories like this will encourage the tories to keep to level playing field rules on workers rights. If they are cut, the EU can reintroduce tariffs which would be disastrous for Nissan. So this is certainly a good new story. 

2 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

That £350m figure was immediately debunked by the other side, which put out plenty of its own scary warnings about the economic hit we would take. Brexit Fisherman chose to believe the wrong side. I'd feel sorry and pity for him if his stupid vote only affected him and his family. But it doesn't, does it? It affects me, you and our kids.

Large sections of the media did vote leave’s work for them. I just get irritated (and admittedly defensive) by lazy claims that the media is a single entity when a sizeable chunk of it did the opposite.

I am disappointed with the beeb too. They played their part in this. I just have less sympathy now for the people who fucked us all over with their votes than I had right after the referendum.  People had a lot of time to figure this all out - two elections on top of the referendum. 

And the reason the likes of the Mail and the Sun exist is because there is a demand for it. English exceptionalism runs deep. A nationalist campaign appealed to more people in the country than I felt comfortable admitting existed. Were they sold a lie? Undoubtedly. But they lapped it up despite mounting evidence of the dangers and that’s on them.

Anyway, I’ll leave it there. I had a few glasses of wine last night and was feeling argumentative. I don’t think we actually disagree a great deal. I just have become increasingly embittered with the majority of people who believed the bullshit and voted to put us here. 

Aye fair enough, I do feel pretty much the same way but I don't know where bitterness will get us. We have to work with what we've got and just hope somehow things will get better. 

4 hours ago, NJS said:

As usual you have to factor in the proportion of tory voters who are over 65 so don't  give a fuck about businesses or even the economic prospects of their children/grandchildren. 

They had it tough though. Social mobility, free university education with grants, access to affordable housing, retiring in their 50s on final salary-based pensions and so on 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Alex said:

They had it tough though. Social mobility, free university education with grants, access to affordable housing, retiring in their 50s on final salary-based pensions and so on 

And they get to drink a nice bottle of Chateau de Chasselas.

Coincidentally I've just read Richard North's blog and he says the same. Its mainly about why Nissan have managed to get a great deal, its because we're actually still in full regulatory alignment with the EU for automobiles, and making batteries here will mean we will be okay for Rules of Origin, preserving the export market whilst maintaining a strong domestic market. However, continental car manufacturers are still reliant on imported batteries from Asia meaning they will be blocked importing to the UK based on the same RoO. Nissan have played a blinder here, but are the exception. Worth a read.

http://eureferendum.com

19 minutes ago, NJS said:

They were probably chosen as a flag bearer to be used as a success while everyone else was screwed over. 

Naah, I don't think that's fair. The automotive rules are pretty much global now, divergencein this market makes no sense at all. Nissan have planned on this outcome since 2017, and have brought battery manufacturers to the North East in anticipation. They would still have been completely fucked with no deal though, which half the mackem halfwits were so desperate for. 

As I've said, this is only maintained with LPF so I'm hoping its a massive carrot for this government to maintain workers rights. 

• Like 1