Europe --- In or Out

Christmas Tree

Europe?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Can't say I'm arsed about British farmers, get off your inherited land and work for the man if you can't compete, middle class wankers

Loads of farmers work on rented land and barely make a living, especially livestock farmers. The wealthy land owners will be looked after though. The net result will be lowering of food standards, complete loss of the export market, and loss of tax take. Enjoy your cheap  Oz burgers mate. 

5 minutes ago, Renton said:

Loads of farmers work on rented land and barely make a living, especially livestock farmers. The wealthy land owners will be looked after though. The net result will be lowering of food standards, complete loss of the export market, and loss of tax take. Enjoy your cheap  Oz burgers mate. 

:lol: good old British burgers. You'll want them in a union jack bun next. I can get a packet of mince for £1.50 from tesco now, I doubt that shipping it from Australia is going to deliver big discounts.

I realise you probably send your butler to get yours from the priciest local butcher though 

Edited by TheGingerQuiff

1 minute ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

:lol: good old British burgers. You'll want them in a union jack bun next. I can get a packet of mince for £1.50 from tesco now, I doubt that shipping it from Australia is going to deliver big discounts.

I realise you probably send your butler to get yours from the priciest local butcher though 

I don't eat particularly expensive meat, just stuff from supermarkets, try to get lean cuts, not bothered about organic. I appreciate  there being a fairly high level of minimum standards though, mainly for animal welfare reasons. Do you want these standards lowerd under the banner of choice?

Do Aussies bully cows like? It's a bit ironic complaining about potentially relinquishing good old British standards from a remainer position though. Could say you're a cattle xenophobe

Edited by TheGingerQuiff

5 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Do Aussies bully cows like? It's a bit ironic complaining about potentially relinquishing good old British standards from a remainer position though. Could say you're a cattle xenophobe

We're currently still aligned with EU standards though, which i believe are about the best in the world. I've no idea if Australia has equivalent standards but if they can substantially undercut us that suggests not. There's no way an FTA with Australia benefits us and you probably know this anyway, just being a contrary twat.

Speaking of which, I'm talking to my first Australian client tomorrow, striking an evil pharma deal. 7am because if the time difference. Night night. 

1 minute ago, Renton said:

We're currently still aligned with EU standards though, which i believe are about the best in the world. I've no idea if Australia has equivalent standards but if they can substantially undercut us that suggests not. There's no way an FTA with Australia benefits us and you probably know this anyway, just being a contrary twat.

Speaking of which, I'm talking to my first Australian client tomorrow, striking an evil pharma deal. 7am because if the time difference. Night night. 

Why wouldn't it benefit us? Genuine question. It sometimes feels like anything that's different from what what we had in the EU is just dismissed. I mean you don't have to buy Australian meat. It'll all be correctly labelled I'm sure. Personally I've never gone abroad and worried about meat standards. Each to their own though 

5 hours ago, Renton said:

Try and remember not to tell them how fucking shit their dinners are. 

7 hours ago, Renton said:

Seeing Australia has never sold meat that has caused mad cows disease I think you will be safe! 

Btw Japan sources most of it’s beef from this colony and they have the highest meat standards in the world, which is strange as they will eat anything from the ocean!

As a veg I suggest just eat a potato and stop worrying about the meat you won’t be able to afford 😂

7 hours ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Why wouldn't it benefit us? Genuine question. It sometimes feels like anything that's different from what what we had in the EU is just dismissed. I mean you don't have to buy Australian meat. It'll all be correctly labelled I'm sure. Personally I've never gone abroad and worried about meat standards. Each to their own though 

Why wouldn't it benefit us? This deal supposedly will benefit our economy to the tune of £500m over 15 years. Yes, 15 years. To help you understand that's roughly 3/4 of a Joelinton or 1100 bitcoin per year. Fair to say it's going to be incredibly insignificant to our economy.

The real issue here is that this is the first new trade deal we've done with a major economy since Brexit. It's being used by the government to justify Brexit and paraded as a massive success for Global Britain. However, it's the thin end of the wedge. We're also going to be seeking trade deals with the likes of the USA, Brazil and South Africa. They will use the Australia deal as a template and demand the same access as the Australians have. Their food standards are generally much lower than ours. So with a government desperate to strike deals and other countries knowing this we will bow to their demands just as we have done with Australia. That will mean the end of much of our British farming sector and that's where the real problem lies. Because once that's gone it's incredibly hard to get back.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, sammynb said:

Seeing Australia has never sold meat that has caused mad cows disease I think you will be safe! 

Btw Japan sources most of it’s beef from this colony and they have the highest meat standards in the world, which is strange as they will eat anything from the ocean!

As a veg I suggest just eat a potato and stop worrying about the meat you won’t be able to afford 😂

Pipe down, get your vaccine and then we'll talk about your dingo meat.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, sammynb said:

I've never heard anything bad about Aussie food standards tbf. You're a massive bunch of racists, but you like good dinners. 

Edited by Gemmill

10 hours ago, Renton said:

I mean, this is so incongruous with the infamous cheese speech its unreal, but there we are. Pretty sure accepting Oz standard food will just add more friction with EU trade too to even more fuck our farmers. 

It’s a big fuck you to the farmers and it makes a mockery of the Tory’s green credentials.

We’re talking about the most carbon intensive food (beef) being imported from the other side of the world. Literally couldn’t be worse for our carbon footprint. 

GREAT

• Like 4

2 hours ago, sammynb said:

You got any proof of this? I believe it actually comes from USA, Brazil and Aus with more coming from USA.

1 hour ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

If Renton cared about British farms he wouldn't be buying supermarket meat. They've been putting the squeeze on British farmers for years. It's just another fake concern

I'd like us to maintain our current agriculture at least for sustainability reasons, independence, provenance, quality, animal welfare, all the things Brexiteers bang on about. I don't each much meat as it happens, not enough to warrant a trip to a butchers which would require an additional drive. Supermarkets squeeze all suppliers I imagine, the cheaper one more so. I shop at M&S and Waitrose* who probably screw the farmers less. ;)

* Not really. 

2 hours ago, sammynb said:

That's fair dinkum tbh, I was under the impression you had intensive farming like the USA, it appears not. Ewerk makes an excellent point about this being a template for other deals though. 

So, Brexit is less than six months old and has already seen off the UK fishing industry and the agricultural sector... the mental acrobatics going on in Brexiteers heads at the moment may actually put their health at risk :lol:

6 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

So, Brexit is less than six months old and has already seen off the UK fishing industry and the agricultural sector... the mental acrobatics going on in Brexiteers heads at the moment may actually put their health at risk :lol:

I doubt they are thinking about it. There main issue for them after all was too many brown people

1 minute ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

I doubt they are thinking about it. There main issue for them after all was too many brown people

And they're getting more brown people! 😆

15 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Plus billions in assets as well as jobs moved out of the UK by the City. 

• Like 1