Europe --- In or Out

Christmas Tree

Europe?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So we're going for soft power now. In fairness to them, music is one of the few areas where we probably have some of that. Not convinced it's going to make a big difference but you never know I suppose.

3 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

So we're going for soft power now. In fairness to them, music is one of the few areas where we probably have some of that. Not convinced it's going to make a big difference but you never know I suppose.

Of course it isn't. It's not the musicians' job to negotiate trade and service deals, the idea is laughable. It's their job to produce music and entertain, and the government's job to facilitate this, end of. And I'll say it again. Why should they be a special case above all the other service industries we export? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Renton said:

Of course it isn't. It's not the musicians' job to negotiate trade and service deals, the idea is laughable. It's their job to produce music and entertain, and the government's job to facilitate this, end of. And I'll say it again. Why should they be a special case above all the other service industries we export? 

They shouldn't but that's not always how the world works. British music is popular in Europe, I'm just saying I can see them having more success here than elsewhere.

1 minute ago, Rayvin said:

They shouldn't but that's not always how the world works. British music is popular in Europe, I'm just saying I can see them having more success here than elsewhere.

I don't think that is how the world works, unless you can show me some precedence for visa exceptions on a sector by sector basis? It sound like cherry picking. I think the EU's offer was to waive visas across all professional sectors but that was too close to FoM for our fascist government. Might be wrong there mind. 

38 minutes ago, Renton said:

I don't think that is how the world works, unless you can show me some precedence for visa exceptions on a sector by sector basis? It sound like cherry picking. I think the EU's offer was to waive visas across all professional sectors but that was too close to FoM for our fascist government. Might be wrong there mind. 

Isn’t Brexit just a big Schwazwälder Kirsch anyway?

I mean especially when a lot of this is seemingly being driven by the obscenely rich Elton John and his wanky ‘final’ tour. 

I'm struggling a bit with that mind - my partner had to apply for pre-settled status or whatever it was called and did so last year. Process was confusing as fuck for sure, but it didn't actually take that long. Why have so many left it this late?

Yeah but I'm normally one of those people and yet I managed to get this sorted out back in October. Struggling to believe there are 300k people who procrastinate more than I do :lol:

4 hours ago, Rayvin said:

Yeah but I'm normally one of those people and yet I managed to get this sorted out back in October. Struggling to believe there are 300k people who procrastinate more than I do :lol:

As someone in the visa system for a different country the processing time for applications like my residency one was 14 months when I applied in January last year. Its now 25.

The processing time for the visa I have in the meantime has gone from about two weeks to 67 days since last July.

I mean, fair enough but the processing time for my partner was 6 weeks.

And all EU citizens have had 5 years.

It sounds as though a lot of people have literally started applying within the past couple of months - and I mean fair enough to an extent, they're still ahead of the deadline, but I do think there does actually have to be a deadline. As much as I disagree with every single reason about why we're doing this.

My limited knowledge is that all the banks and I'm guessing other financial services companies planned for the worst case scenario of no deal from the start and shifted operations to offices elsewhere. 

We moved all EU client services to Dublin but I assume others chose other cities as appropriate. 

Billions in assets were also moved. 

It's affected jobs obviously and also tax revenues will reduce - I'm sure thick cunt Brexiteers will ignore the lost revenue and expertise as they're too stupid to understand it (CT). 

On the bright side were all setup to become a tax evasion monster without US or EU oversight - almost as if that was a motivation for those in power. 

7 minutes ago, NJS said:

My limited knowledge is that all the banks and I'm guessing other financial services companies planned for the worst case scenario of no deal from the start and shifted operations to offices elsewhere. 

We moved all EU client services to Dublin but I assume others chose other cities as appropriate. 

Billions in assets were also moved. 

It's affected jobs obviously and also tax revenues will reduce - I'm sure thick cunt Brexiteers will ignore the lost revenue and expertise as they're too stupid to understand it (CT). 

On the bright side were all setup to become a tax evasion monster without US or EU oversight - almost as if that was a motivation for those in power. 

Yeah, it's the last bit I'm wondering about. Forgetting the ethics for now, what will that mean practically for the country's finances and our international standing? Was this really the plan all along and the principal driver of Brexit? 

55 minutes ago, Renton said:

Yeah, it's the last bit I'm wondering about. Forgetting the ethics for now, what will that mean practically for the country's finances and our international standing? Was this really the plan all along and the principal driver of Brexit? 

The people who orchestrated it, even the ones in charge who understood all of this but went through with it anyway (we'll call them the Tory party for simplicity) don't care about the long term standing of the nation or its finances, IMO. They'll be dead by the time we really have to confront what we've lost - i.e. 15-20 years on from now.

Interesting thread by Henig about the Nissan. I had thought the same. Our alignment with the EU on automobile regulation "is predicated though on maintaining a functioning relationship with the EU". We can't diverge much because if we do the EU could kill Nissan overnight by levying tariffs on their cars. Has all sorts of implication for NI and other FTAs going forward. 

• 5 weeks later...