Europe --- In or Out

Christmas Tree

Europe?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

oh, yes, you're right of course. where did you read about this story? it is being reported in the FT and Bloomberg today, as you'd expect

https://www.ft.com/content/e32dda1b-7dbe-454e-ab32-3d80604df431

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-09-14/u-k-delays-brexit-border-checks-on-eu-goods-as-shortages-hit

Yes, it will be on twitter and some newspaper sites - I read it on the Guardian live feed. Let's see if the BBC bother to report it on their televised news though. They seem to have given up on anything negative to do with Brexit or historical recording of racism from tory cabinet ministers. 

1 hour ago, Renton said:

"Their take on it"  :lol:

You mean verbatim government propaganda. 

it seems a fairly balanced report to me - they have a quote from mordaunt, a quote from labour's baroness chapman and one from the british chambers of commerce. 

i agree that it should be on the bbc home page but whoever is news editing seems to think the met gala is a more important story 🙄

1 hour ago, Renton said:

"Their take on it"  :lol:

You mean verbatim government propaganda. 

Just caught something on R4 about NHS appointments and two callers bemoaning it but as soon as one mentioned that they suspected it was being run down for privatisation by the sell off party she was interrupted and told to keep politics out of it as there was no talking shite head, sorry Tory MP to waffle irrelevant lies on hand.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

it seems a fairly balanced report to me - they have a quote from mordaunt, a quote from labour's baroness chapman and one from the british chambers of commerce. 

i agree that it should be on the bbc home page but whoever is news editing seems to think the met gala is a more important story 🙄

It's not well balanced at all, Mordaunt is given more coverage and she is telling a pack of lies, completely unchecked. This has nothing to do with covid or supply chains. I can't tell if Chapman's response has been edited, but she seems to say absolutely nothing. No coverage to the NFU and many other organisations who are massively pissed off by this, as it continues to put UK agriculture at a huge disadvantage. Also the massive impact on local authorities who have had to pay for border inspection post facilities and staff but are now deprived of their revenue. At a minimum, the BBC should explain that the beneficiaries are EU exporters, not UK industry. Anyway, fair enough Gloom, you've always maintained the state broadcaster has been fair and impartial on Brexit, we'll agree to disagree. 

16 minutes ago, Renton said:

It's not well balanced at all, Mordaunt is given more coverage and she is telling a pack of lies, completely unchecked. This has nothing to do with covid or supply chains. I can't tell if Chapman's response has been edited, but she seems to say absolutely nothing. No coverage to the NFU and many other organisations who are massively pissed off by this, as it continues to put UK agriculture at a huge disadvantage. Also the massive impact on local authorities who have had to pay for border inspection post facilities and staff but are now deprived of their revenue. At a minimum, the BBC should explain that the beneficiaries are EU exporters, not UK industry. Anyway, fair enough Gloom, you've always maintained the state broadcaster has been fair and impartial on Brexit, we'll agree to disagree. 

TBF it's only the BBC and The Telegraph carrying Chapman's comments anywhere. This is as much about Labour being afraid to go anywhere near Brexit for fear of re-opening that can of worms.

29 minutes ago, Renton said:

i think what i've said is that bbc news stories have to be constructed in a certain way because of the bbc charter. the impartiality commitment means all reports have to contain voices from both sides of the political spectrum. i'm not saying they always ask the right people or the right questions or that they always get the news agenda right. 

i think ewerk is right about labour being scared to make much of this stuff, so there is less opposition to cover. there is also brexit fatigue and this is reflected in how news editors prioritise the brexit stories these days. it is only the FT, (pro-business/anti-brexit), and the guardian (anti-brexit) which is giving this story much of a play today as fas as i can see.  i agree with you that this is a really important news story and the bbc - and other news organisations - could be doing more to inform. 

19 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

i think what i've said is that bbc news stories have to be constructed in a certain way because of the bbc charter. the impartiality commitment means all reports have to contain voices from both sides of the political spectrum. i'm not saying they always ask the right people or the right questions or that they always get the news agenda right. 

i think ewerk is right about labour being scared to make much of this stuff, so there is less opposition to cover. there is also brexit fatigue and this is reflected in how news editors prioritise the brexit stories these days. it is only the FT, (pro-business/anti-brexit), and the guardian (anti-brexit) which is giving this story much of a play today as fas as i can see.  i agree with you that this is a really important news story and the bbc - and other news organisations - could be doing more to inform. 

Do you work for the BBC? 

3 minutes ago, Alex said:

You would say that. 

i've put the conspiracy stuff to people i know who work or have worked there and they all say the same thing: you don't get a story published unless your copy complies with the impartiality rules. 

the editorial decision making at senior management level is another matter, and i accept that coverage can appear biased at times. but at reporter level, you have to report the truth and it has to be "balanced"