Europe --- In or Out

Christmas Tree

Europe?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

i tend to bite when people who have never worked in a newsroom make assumptions about what it's like. it's basically impossible to get your news story published somewhere like the bbc if it is opinionated or unverified. 

People are basing their opinions on the output. You don’t need insider knowledge for that. 

Edited by Alex

43 minutes ago, Alex said:

People are casing their opinions on the output. You don’t need insider knowledge for that. 

If you scrutinise bbc reporting it is fair and balanced. The thing that winds me up is most news reporters are honest and play by the rules. If you work for the bbc you’re not being told by news editors to lean right. Your copy has to be objective, verified and balanced or it isn’t going out. 

Where they fall over is the platform they gave to the likes of Farage. That lies with the senior editorial decision-makers. I agree there’s a problem there and it could get worse under this government. And some of the senior TV “talent” aren’t up to the job. I agree about the Neil/Marr thing. Marr is a wet fish and LK is terrible at hiding her leanings - she should be done but the optics would be pretty shitty if they got rid of such a senior woman. 

I actually think Brillo was a big loss for the bbc. We all know what the cunt’s political views are but he hid them well. He did his job properly, scrutinising bullshit and holding politicians of all stripes to account. Maitliss is superb. I rate Jo Coburn too. 

The obsession with balance can lead to unsavoury types who get more exposure than you or I would like. The alternative is much worse. Compare our rolling news channels to what’s happening in America with Fox and even CNN trying to reposition itself as a left wing competitor with opinion and personality-led news reporting. I hope the GB news experiment proves an abject failure and we don’t see more of this sort of thing. 

But part of the problem is people in this country want to hear those voices. It’s easy to blame the media but this country is full of uneducated racist morons unfortunately. Doesn’t the public bear some responsibility not to buy the Brexit bullshit the likes of farage were slinging? The breaking point/Turkey joining/350m to the NHS lies were repeatedly challenged by bbc journalists throughout the referendum campaign.  

So yeah, it’s flawed, for sure, but the bbc is still among the best in the world at what it does in my view. We should fight for it because we will miss it when it’s gone 

3 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

If you scrutinise bbc reporting it is fair and balanced. The thing that winds me up is most news reporters are honest and play by the rules. If you work for the bbc you’re not being told by news editors to lean right. Your copy has to be objective, verified and balanced or it isn’t going out. 

Where they fall over is the platform they gave to the likes of Farage. That lies with the senior editorial decision-makers. I agree there’s a problem there and it could get worse under this government. And some of the senior TV “talent” aren’t up to the job. I agree about the Neil/Marr thing. Marr is a wet fish and LK is terrible at hiding her leanings - she should be done but the optics would be pretty shitty if they got rid of such a senior woman. 

I actually think Brillo was a big loss for the bbc. We all know what the cunt’s political views are but he hid them well. He did his job properly, scrutinising bullshit and holding politicians of all stripes to account. Maitliss is superb. I rate Jo Coburn too. 

The obsession with balance can lead to unsavoury types who get more exposure than you or I would like. The alternative is much worse. Compare our rolling news channels to what’s happening in America with Fox and even CNN trying to reposition itself as a left wing competitor with opinion and personality-led news reporting. I hope the GB news experiment proves an abject failure and we don’t see more of this sort of thing. 

But part of the problem is people in this country want to hear those voices. It’s easy to blame the media but this country is full of uneducated racist morons unfortunately. Doesn’t the public bear some responsibility not to buy the Brexit bullshit the likes of farage were slinging? The breaking point/Turkey joining/350m to the NHS lies were repeatedly challenged by bbc journalists throughout the referendum campaign.  

So yeah, it’s flawed, for sure, but the bbc is still among the best in the world at what it does in my view. We should fight for it because we will miss it when it’s gone 

I don't want the BBC gone, but not because of its news output, which apart from anything, seems terrible value for money. I do value it's output in other fields though, especially documentaries. Ha, Bridget just been on 5 live. Wasn't listening tbh. 

21 hours ago, Renton said:

It hardly has to be a conspiracy. More like it's just not considered newsworthy. I think it might be to red wall voters and black people personally. 

Turns out the BBC did cover the story two days ago. I definitely didn't see it anywhere near the front page though.

The point is the person being interviewed has their opinion censored because they’ve blamed Brexit for an issue they’re in a position to make an informed judgement on

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Alex said:

The point is the person being interviewed has their opinion censored because they’ve blamed Brexit for an issue they’re in a position to make an informed judgement on

Did they later edit out father and son talking absolute rhubarb in the Hartlepool election a few months ago? It happens all the time where someone is allowed to spout bollocks. Like you say, this lass might be a little more informed.

• Like 1