Europe --- In or Out

Christmas Tree

Europe?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

10 minutes ago, trooper said:

Boris admits on 127 drivers have applied for emergency visa's to help him get out of the shit storm. Oh dear looks like Xmas could go "tits up " Boris me old chum

He reckons that the shortage of drivers is because employers haven't invested in truck stops. I'm not sure he understands who is responsible for the standard of service stations.

• Like 1

The amount of Tories I'm hearing from that literally want to change the economy to match some fictional past whereby people buy their goods from village suppliers and stores is frightening. With UKIP you could dismiss the loons because they were never going to wield any political power. But these tories are actually in power. Really difficult to know how far this country sinks before it hits rock bottom and sobers up. 

I didn’t realise the number in EU27 represented the number of HGV drivers willing to come and work in Britain in the run up to Xmas 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Renton said:

The amount of Tories I'm hearing from that literally want to change the economy to match some fictional past whereby people buy their goods from village suppliers and stores is frightening. With UKIP you could dismiss the loons because they were never going to wield any political power. But these tories are actually in power. Really difficult to know how far this country sinks before it hits rock bottom and sobers up. 

Here you go Renton mate 

s-l400 (3).jpg

• Haha 1

This from The Mail 

Boris denying the supply chain is in chaos

Asked directly if he thought the situation was a 'crisis', he replied: 'No.' 

But he admitted that Christmas might only be better from a 'low base' amid fears of ongoing shortages - after it was effectively cancelled during the pandemic last year.

And he conceded that the government's efforts to bring in more lorry drivers from abroad are having limited success, with just 127 having applied for emergency visas.

Apparently the record industry are reporting a shortage of vinyl to make records. I wouldn't be surprised if Boris said something like if you've got any old records in your collection you hardly listen to. Could you melt them down & send them in so we can make new ones 😆 

Edited by trooper

https://news.sky.com/story/france-threatens-to-cut-off-uks-energy-again-in-new-fishing-row-12426857

France threatens to cut off energy to the UK over fishing  rights. 

It included a threat that it could cut off electricity to the British Crown Dependency, which receives 95% of its electricity from France through three undersea cables.

I say Boris old chap you seem to be getting the country in a bit of a pickle

Bloke I work with (salesman, nicknamed snake oil) said to me the other day when he was spouting shite, he doesn’t watch the news as the MSM are discredited and he only reads the papers, at this point I was going to interject, but he ploughed on “I read the telegraph and the times so I get both sides and balance”. I fucking despair !!!

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

Bloke I work with (salesman, nicknamed snake oil) said to me the other day when he was spouting shite, he doesn’t watch the news as the MSM are discredited and he only reads the papers, at this point I was going to interject, but he ploughed on “I read the telegraph and the times so I get both sides and balance”. I fucking despair !!!

:lol: Amazing. The Times presumably being the left wing one? I mean it's centrist I suppose but still.

It’s actually all I wanted for Christmas this year.

Think I’ll recreate the scenes by cowering in the London Underground, not knowing if my house will still be standing when I get home before tucking into a hearty plate of powdered eggs for tea 

• Haha 4

Don't send your kids to the countryside to keep them safe though, that's the kind of thing a scaredycat woke snowflake leftie [checks notes] oh, wait, the parents of literally several million children did during the war. Well now I'm conflicted, what would Iain Duncan Smith make of that behaviour?

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

image.thumb.png.c4088687c94acae0c6bf9fc16d2a9c76.png

Project fear, they said 

Are they saying it’s the EU’s fault rather than the fault of the country that left the EU by any chance?

23 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

Don't send your kids to the countryside to keep them safe though, that's the kind of thing a scaredycat woke snowflake leftie [checks notes] oh, wait, the parents of literally several million children did during the war. Well now I'm conflicted, what would Iain Duncan Smith make of that behaviour?

In reply to IDS someone on Twitter pointed out that thousands of civil servants were relocated during the war too 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

It’s actually all I wanted for Christmas this year.

Think I’ll recreate the scenes by cowering in the London Underground, not knowing if my house will still be standing when I get home before tucking into a hearty plate of powdered eggs for tea 

I think I'll go out and do a bit of looting (I'll leave the raping to the makems)

40 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

My dad was evacuated (from Heaton) to Whitehaven, at one point was allowed home for a few days, one lad stayed an extra night, house bombed that night and whole family killed.

guildfordplacebombdamage.jpg

Edited by Toonpack
  • Like 2

The war photographer Don McCullin relates his experience of being evacuated during the war in his excellent autobiography. His sister was nearby but stayed with a posh family and was privately tutored etc. He, on the other hand, stayed with a family where he got one meal a day if he was lucky, was basically only allowed in the house to go to bed, whatever the weather. He got his only (freezing cold, outdoor) bath just before he was sent back home. Hopefully that’s the sort of thing we have to look forward to. 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 1

It’s surprising given it’s a country with a small population that’s almost as far away as it’s possible to be unless you leave the planet 

On 07/06/2016 at 09:37, Christmas Tree said:

It's certainly uncertain how the mechanics of a Brexit would operate, but we will continue to import and export. 

It's a shame both sides have concentrated on negative scaremongering rather than the positives of each case.

FCxQE_hXIAIqKjZ?format=jpg&name=medium